The Student Room Group

Graduate with a master's degree and a massive loan... How do I pursue medicine?

So I've done a bachelor's in psychology, a masters in clinical neuroscience - both at really good universities. I'm currently working alongside a passionate clinical research group and am seduced by the prospect of becoming a clinical researcher.

I shadow the neurologists I work alongside with and I absolutely love what they do on a day-to-day basis. I would gladly spend 80 hours a week doing what they do - pesky paperwork and all. But, I have this massive debt of 26000 pounds - taken as a personal loan and they take large sums of money per month (300 quid). And I'm not sure how I can possibly fund medical training.

Should I work an unrelated job to pay off my current debt (will be paid off by the time I'm 28/29) then pursue a medical degree? Or should I go for the degree right away and work a part-time job while studying?
Reply 1
Thank you for replying so quickly! Is the reasoning behind it because it's better to go into medical school as early as possible? I am quite afraid of taking on another loan to finance the medical degree but at the same time afraid of it being too late to pursue medicine.
Reply 2
I see! Thank you for the advice. The exams don't perturb me as much as the number of years in training required to specialize!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but during residency you are not paid very well. I've heard amounts of 23000 per year which considering living costs/ rent/ payment of loans are all really scary. As I'd like to be independent in my 30s that's also a concern of mine going into medicine...
Reply 3
Seems I have more to read up on the matter. Also thank you for telling me about locum jobs! I'll keep them in mind while applying.
I agree it'll be best to work to repay the loan before medical school. May I ask if you're currently in a medical profession as well?
Reply 4
Big thanks for that! I'll definitely need to check that out as well. I'll look for a viable way to finance living costs/loan repayments (subsidies/ stipends/ scholarships) while doing a medical degree + part time work. If not I'll look to get the current loan off my shoulders then get back to what I really want to be doing :smile: Thank you both for your advice and resources!!

@Itsmith Good luck with your applications!
Reply 5
The odds look scary... call me a naive fool with cliché opinion but 'if you believe you will get in' :smile:

@ecolier that really sounds promising! Also I'm curious are you currently a practising neurologist or training? Do you have any research interests :smile:
Reply 6
Well I wish you the best! I hope you don't mind if I slide into your dms to ask a couple questions down the road?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending