unconditional offer for PG courses easier to get as for UG courses? Watch

lowperformer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi.
I got an unconditional offer for a masters course at a RG member university.
I'm a little bit confused because i thought that this isn't even possible, as I didn't finish my bachelor's degree yet.
My marks are pretty good and I'm quite sure that I will pass my UG studies and I think that's why a have a so called "high achievers" offer.

But my question is:
Is this just a marketing clue of the university and every future postgraduate gets such an offer, to be flattered and more likely join this PG programme, or is this really a sign of that the university wants me for their programme?
Master programmes are expensive and so I'm a little bit sceptical about the intensions of this university
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lowperformer)
Hi.
I'm a little bit confused because i thought that this isn't even possible, as I didn't finish my bachelor's degree yet.
My marks are pretty good and I'm quite sure that I will pass my UG studies and I think that's why a have a so called "high achievers" offer.

But my question is:
Is this just a marketing clue of the university and every future postgraduate gets such an offer, to be flattered and more likely join this PG programme, or is this really a sign of that the university wants me for their programme?
Master programmes are expensive and so I'm a little bit sceptical about the intensions of this university
It will probably be a mixture of a marketing ploy and their actually wanting you because you will bring in fees and have shown that you can cope with the study as you are doing well. Do you actually want to go to this uni? Have you visited?
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi.

But my question is:
In most (but not all) cases, PG courses have a lot fewer applicants per place than UG courses, so unis will be keen to fill places through unconditional offers.

Of course, if you want to go there (and presumably you do, because why else apply?) then congrats. Accept the offer and don't overthink the situation.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
postgraduate courses are massive cash cows for universities so yes, they're easier to get into
lowperformer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys, thx for answering.

I don't live in the UK, so it would be hard for me visit the university now, because I'm still an UG student and pretty busy at the moment.

But the university is my firm choice. Actually it's the University of Nottingham.

I'm just wondering because I thought it is the most competitive University to get into on my list.
The other universities just sent me conditional offers,
but nottingham sent me (after 6 weeks) an unconditional offer.

But I think that you guys are right, it's my firm so I should be happy and don't think about it too much.

Do you think a Masters from the University of Nottingham is prestigious?
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you think a Masters from the University of Nottingham is prestigious?
Is that important to you?
lowperformer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Is that important to you?
Who would not be proud if his degree came from a prestigious University?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Seems mad to me, I've not had unconditionals on either of my postgrads.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
As you're a foreign student I'd imagine you're paying a lot so they'll be desperate to accept, you, they love taking money off students.
lowperformer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by JamesManc)
As you're a foreign student I'd imagine you're paying a lot so they'll be desperate to accept, you, they love taking money off students.

Hi, thx for answering.

I'm from the EU, I have to pay EU/Home fees.
This is probably the last year that this will be possible, due to the Brexit...

But the fees are high anyway.
So it makes sense to me that master courses are cash-cows.

I just didn't expect it from this particual university, as I thought it is a prestigious one.

But I'm happy anyway
lowperformer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Seems mad to me, I've not had unconditionals on either of my postgrads.
As long as you got offers you can be happy anyway,
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
As long as you got offers you can be happy anyway,
Yes, you are right, though they are well in the past for me now.
Sentenced_to
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
postgraduate courses are massive cash cows for universities so yes, they're easier to get into
I was thinking about that lately and I will say it depends. For some masters that cost 6000 (2 semesters plus 3 months for dissertation) vs 9250 undergraduate (2 semesters) I wouldn't say so...

For some "business" MSc's, MBA's etc that sometimes go so far to not even have a Home/EU-International classification and just charge an atrocious fee for everyone that ranges between 15000 and 30000, they surely are...

Anything in between, it depends...
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Sentenced_to)
I was thinking about that lately and I will say it depends. For some masters that cost 6000 (2 semesters plus 3 months for dissertation) vs 9250 undergraduate (2 semesters) I wouldn't say so...

For some "business" MSc's, MBA's etc that sometimes go so far to not even have a Home/EU-International classification and just charge an atrocious fee for everyone that ranges between 15000 and 30000, they surely are...

Anything in between, it depends...
it depends on the university. fees for postgrad courses aren't standardized like fees for undergrad courses are. i've seen some MSc's asking for 30k/year (even for UK students!)
Sentenced_to
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
it depends on the university. fees for postgrad courses aren't standardized like fees for undergrad courses are. i've seen some MSc's asking for 30k/year (even for UK students!)
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about...

(But I would say that it depends on the university but even more on department level within the same university)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?