Careers help! (PGCE or nvq) Watch

Rilokiley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all,

Any help would be appreciated 😊

I've been considering my career options lately and I've always wanted to do the PGCE at Coleraine, and understand its competitive, but I'm not sure if it would be better to first do the nvq in childcare and perhaps work as a classroom assistant for more experience and to continue earning?

I volunteerd for a year in a primary school before completing my degree in design but that was almost 10 years ago, and I know that won't count towards school based experience now. I'm can do it again but for how long would be appropriate?

I'm currently on maternity leave and I'm trying to work out what would be best for me and my family. Ive heard the pgce is an intense year nevermind with a toddler in tow, would it better to wait until he starts school?

And finally does anyone know what the current market is like for teachers? I know it wasn't great a few years back

Apologies for so many questions I just want to weigh up my options
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Rilokiley)
Hi all,

Any help would be appreciated 😊

I've been considering my career options lately and I've always wanted to do the PGCE at Coleraine, and understand its competitive, but I'm not sure if it would be better to first do the nvq in childcare and perhaps work as a classroom assistant for more experience and to continue earning?

I volunteerd for a year in a primary school before completing my degree in design but that was almost 10 years ago, and I know that won't count towards school based experience now. I'm can do it again but for how long would be appropriate?

I'm currently on maternity leave and I'm trying to work out what would be best for me and my family. I've heard the pgce is an intense year nevermind with a toddler in tow, would it better to wait until he starts school?

And finally does anyone know what the current market is like for teachers? I know it wasn't great a few years back

Apologies for so many questions I just want to weigh up my options
Primary applications still fill up pretty quickly, but some courses are starting to be left with spaces unfilled now as interest is slowly deteriorating.

I think GetIntoTeaching may be able to offer advice about the amount of work experience and whether you should go for the NVQ or not.

The PGCE is certainly an intense workload but then teaching is an intense career to be involved in, especially with 30 crying children around you in the primary sector.
Rilokiley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey thanks for replying I'll be sure to check that site out 👍🏻
Haha yeah I get that, only difference is they don't come home with you at the end of the day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (22)
25.58%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (24)
27.91%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (19)
22.09%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (7)
8.14%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (14)
16.28%

Watched Threads