Andreyah
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is attending University for a a Bachelor of Arts truly a wate of time?
I want to study languages along with something along the lines of Econimics and or International Development. (Nearing last week of submission is making me nervous for what's to come)
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andreyah)
Is attending University for a a Bachelor of Arts truly a wate of time?
I want to study languages along with something along the lines of Econimics and or International Development. (Nearing last week of submission is making me nervous for what's to come)
Absolutely NOT. There are always those that will tell you the only degrees worth taking are STEM degrees. Don't listen to them. In today's global world, subjects like languages, economics and international development are more relevant than ever before and if this is where your interest lies you definitely go for it.
Unless your interests lie ultimately in academia, I would suggest considering universities that offer some more practical or applied modules, rather than sticking to pure academics, as this will let you show prospective employers down the line that you know how to *do* something other than just study and write essays.
I hope this helps.
Good luck with your application.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HELL NO! That's a great field! I'm on gap year attaining my BSc in Business Mgmt but modules include economics etc. I was wondering if you're doing business, politics, or liberals arts or econ and yea you are haha. Ask people at the uni about all the careers (dozens) you can go into using just your BA. Or a simple google search. You can certainly get a job abroad having a BA in anything simply for having the BA, like my sister wants to teach abroad having hers in History. Studying Econ you can do public policy, law, be financial analyst for companies, organisations, gov't , individuals, or step over into Accounting, you can work in a public office like at the council or in any public body https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations you can literally work in any of these! Andreyah the list goes on.
Andreyah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
HELL NO! That's a great field! I'm on gap year attaining my BSc in Business Mgmt but modules include economics etc. I was wondering if you're doing business, politics, or liberals arts or econ and yea you are haha. Ask people at the uni about all the careers (dozens) you can go into using just your BA. Or a simple google search. You can certainly get a job abroad having a BA in anything simply for having the BA, like my sister wants to teach abroad having hers in History. Studying Econ you can do public policy, law, be financial analyst for companies, organisations, gov't , individuals, or step over into Accounting, you can work in a public office like at the council or in any public body https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations you can literally work in any of these! Andreyah the list goes on.
Thank you, this really helped and pushed away all my negative thoughts about it. You guessed right, I applied for Economics and have a plan on studying abroad to be a teacher. Those careers look interesting i'll be making sure to check them all out!
Andreyah
Rep:
?
(Original post by FionaMG)
Absolutely NOT. There are always those that will tell you the only degrees worth taking are STEM degrees. Don't listen to them. In today's global world, subjects like languages, economics and international development are more relevant than ever before and if this is where your interest lies you definitely go for it.
Unless your interests lie ultimately in academia, I would suggest considering universities that offer some more practical or applied modules, rather than sticking to pure academics, as this will let you show prospective employers down the line that you know how to *do* something other than just study and write essays.
I hope this helps.
Good luck with your application.
Thank you a lot i guess all the pressure got to me but now i'm perfectly fine with everything. Let's hope my application goes smoothly!
username4340906
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, this really helped and pushed away all my negative thoughts about it. You guessed right, I applied for Economics and have a plan on studying abroad to be a teacher. Those careers look interesting i'll be making sure to check them all out!
Don’t listen to the people on here who say that everything but STEM and a few other subjects are worthwhile and everything else is a waste of time. These are the same people who will apply for graduate jobs that have general recruitment criteria. In other words, you can beat a STEM student and get the job they go after. These days a degree for a lot of fields is just a filtering process. Except for some where degrees matter e,g, medicine, nursing etc, Study what you like and enjoy it. Just keep in mind the type of career you’d like to have if you haven’t already and make sure you take steps while studying to meet the initial entry requirements so you’re on the right track for whatever career you’d like.

Spoiler:
Show
Going to be studying a STEM subject before someone says what I’ve said is bull and only said so because I’m not studying STEM. GTFO with that ******** and have a nice day:colone:
ClockworkPaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would ignore anyone who tells you this. There are thousands of jobs and career paths, and the world needs more than just doctors, dentists, engineers etc.
I'm personally going to university to study Animation! I'm terrified this will be a waste of my time and it's an INSANELY competitive industry with low wages, but at the end of the day university is about studying something you enjoy, learning something new about something you love. By the time you leave university you'll have a degree, and no matter what it's in, having a degree of ANY kind can help you get higher-paying jobs than somebody without one, even if it's not in your chosen field.
SaintMotel98365
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No way! I’m studying for a joint MA in French and Spanish and I’ve already seen plenty of prospects that I didn’t even think would be available to me since starting my degree
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just to echo all of the above. I had mates tell me the same thing when I went back to university. 'Do STEM, it's not worth doing anything else'; 'Use your brain for something useful!'; 'Don't waste your time and money on that'.

Anyway, I did what I wanted to do and have done very well out of it. Love my work, but also have plenty of options should academia not work out in the end. Don't worry. Be tenacious, make sure you are doing the best that you can do. Be bold, take a few risks, get outside your comfort zone with extra curriculars and the rest - in one way or another - will follow.
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In this case, you might want to look at universities that let you do a year abroad as an English Language Assistant. That would be a very useful opportunity for you. You can check out eligibility and what it involves on the British Council website here: https://www.britishcouncil.org/study...age-assistants
Andreyah
Rep:
?
(Original post by ClockworkPaws)
I would ignore anyone who tells you this. There are thousands of jobs and career paths, and the world needs more than just doctors, dentists, engineers etc.
I'm personally going to university to study Animation! I'm terrified this will be a waste of my time and it's an INSANELY competitive industry with low wages, but at the end of the day university is about studying something you enjoy, learning something new about something you love. By the time you leave university you'll have a degree, and no matter what it's in, having a degree of ANY kind can help you get higher-paying jobs than somebody without one, even if it's not in your chosen field.
That's awesome to see you're doing Animation, my classmate will also enter that field this year and it is indeed competitive, but it's great to see people study what they're truly passionate about even if they're set for a strenuous path with hard work and dedication. I did some Animation myself in my course and i loved seeing my creating come to life right in front of me and it progressively becoming better and better. Good luck in your University of choice i hope you have a good university life!

Helps to see other people going for their dreams despite what other people say
Andreyah
Rep:
?
(Original post by FionaMG)
In this case, you might want to look at universities that let you do a year abroad as an English Language Assistant. That would be a very useful opportunity for you. You can check out eligibility and what it involves on the British Council website here: https://www.britishcouncil.org/study...age-assistants
Yup thank you, i've made sure to apply for courses that have a year abroad since it'll broaden my perspective in different cultures!
Andreyah
Rep:
?
(Original post by SaintMotel98365)
No way! I’m studying for a joint MA in French and Spanish and I’ve already seen plenty of prospects that I didn’t even think would be available to me since starting my degree
That sounds so cool, how has it been?
Andreyah
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Just to echo all of the above. I had mates tell me the same thing when I went back to university. 'Do STEM, it's not worth doing anything else'; 'Use your brain for something useful!'; 'Don't waste your time and money on that'.

Anyway, I did what I wanted to do and have done very well out of it. Love my work, but also have plenty of options should academia not work out in the end. Don't worry. Be tenacious, make sure you are doing the best that you can do. Be bold, take a few risks, get outside your comfort zone with extra curriculars and the rest - in one way or another - will follow.
Thanks for the words of encouragement!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (114)
59.38%
Yes- I don't like it (10)
5.21%
No- I want it (54)
28.13%
No- I don't want it (14)