no friends to share house with Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
im just about to go back into semester 2 but so far my uni experience has been okay. i have few friends but i dont have a group yet, and these friends are all going into housing separately with their housemates and arent having any more people in them. is it still possible to make friends in the second semester of the first year? im just worried that friend groups have formed and that people are already signing for housing and im not gonna have anybody to share a house with and will have to go with random people i kinda messed up by not joining any societies at the beginning of the year, but im scared about being joining new sports and socitieties now in january cos everyone would already know what theyre doing in the sport and would have already made good friends with each other.
nerops
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Helloooo

First of all, I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling anxious about housemates and moving on to private accommodation. Uni is a big step for most people, as it's normally your first big taste of independence - this includes the excitement of new experiences, but unfortunately also includes new challenges and worries.

But from what you've said above, it just sounds like you need a bit of positivity - as it is DEFINITELY not the end of the world!
So:
A) It is definitely NOT too late to start making friends in your second semester - I met my best mates from uni halfway through the year when I joined Music Soc in the second semester If you are interested in meeting new people who share some of your interests, then I would highly recommend joining societies and sports clubs, as it is NOT too late. Don't join just for the sake of meeting new people - make sure you find a society / sport that you'll enjoy, as you might get on better with people if you are having a good time. And remember - you're not the only person joining clubs in the second semester, there are always new people joining halfway through the year!

aaand
B) Remember, its not the end of the world if you can't find any arrangements for the end of the year. There are always other opportunities - such as staying on for uni accommodation, which could be an opportunity to meet new people.

Anyways, sorry for the long reply - Long story short, don't worry about it. Uni can be one of the most exciting times of your life, but only if you make the most of it. Don't think too much about finding people, focus more on having a brilliant time, in whatever way you'll enjoy it the most. Chances are you'll meet great friends along the way!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (33)
9.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.73%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
10.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.86%

Watched Threads