The Student Room Group

TV License Letter for my flat - but I don't use or watch the TV!

My flat at uni received a letter saying we should expect a visit from an enforcement officer as there is no TV license for the flat. My flat do use the TV - however it is just for the xbox and to link it to a laptop 'apparently'. I have never used the TV and am never in the flat! I stay at my boyfriends instead as all of our friends are there. I only use the flat during the holidays when I have work on weekends. Even if I watch anything on my laptop, it is only Netlfix - I never watch TV, even at home.

I am obviously worried since it says we will get prosecuted and a fine of up to £1,000 if we are seen to have watched TV illegally. Is there anything I can do to stop me from getting fined/prosecuted since I do not use the TV or watch anything. I have proof that I do not live in the flat - from friends in the building, the guys I actually stay with and messages from the flat making jokes that i'm never there.
Reply 1
If nobody's watching TV there then there's no problem, even if someone is foolish enough to let an inspector in.

Depending on your tenancy contract and what room in which anybody is watching TV (if they actually are and you just aren't around to know), you could be liable for part of it (well, jointly liable for it all) should your flatmates be doing that.

Lastly, why are you paying rent year round if you only use the flat at weekends during the holidays? If you have that much cash to burn, just buy the TV license for the flat as a Christmas present and get peace of mind.
Original post by Cuthbertamy
My flat at uni received a letter saying we should expect a visit from an enforcement officer as there is no TV license for the flat. My flat do use the TV - however it is just for the xbox and to link it to a laptop 'apparently'. I have never used the TV and am never in the flat! I stay at my boyfriends instead as all of our friends are there. I only use the flat during the holidays when I have work on weekends. Even if I watch anything on my laptop, it is only Netlfix - I never watch TV, even at home.

I am obviously worried since it says we will get prosecuted and a fine of up to £1,000 if we are seen to have watched TV illegally. Is there anything I can do to stop me from getting fined/prosecuted since I do not use the TV or watch anything. I have proof that I do not live in the flat - from friends in the building, the guys I actually stay with and messages from the flat making jokes that i'm never there.

TV Licensing love those threatening letters. Capita, the company who do the enforcement/checks really are impotent and love these scare tactics. Big red threatening envelopes containing threatening letters.

Chances are they've sent you this letter because you've not told TV Licensing that you do not require a TV Licence. They have no way to check whether or not you've been watching TV. Heck, they used to claim they had special TV Detector vans that can "prove" whether a home is watching TV illegally. This has been debunked.

Don't be scared. It'll be okay.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ThomH97
If nobody's watching TV there then there's no problem, even if someone is foolish enough to let an inspector in.

Depending on your tenancy contract and what room in which anybody is watching TV (if they actually are and you just aren't around to know), you could be liable for part of it (well, jointly liable for it all) should your flatmates be doing that.

Lastly, why are you paying rent year round if you only use the flat at weekends during the holidays? If you have that much cash to burn, just buy the TV license for the flat as a Christmas present and get peace of mind.

I was meant to be in a house, but long story short I had to move due to an unforseen circumstance. I got the flat as it was one of the only places avaliable and my boyfriend had already got his house by then. I only go the flat during the holidays when i have work and if I am passing to do some readings before heading to uni. Believe me - I am working because my student loan does not even cover my rent! I do not have that type of money to waste.
You are under no obligation to talk to them or to let them in. Ignore any letters.
Reply 5
They have no power to do anything. If an inspector shows up refuse him entry, they can do nothing.
Original post by Blue_Cow
TV Licensing love those threatening letters. Capita, the company who do the enforcement/checks really are impotent and love these scare tactics. Big red threatening envelopes containing threatening letters.

Chances are they've sent you this letter because you've not told TV Licensing that you do not require a TV Licence. They have no way to check whether or not you've been watching TV. Heck, they used to claim they had special TV Detector vans that can "prove" whether a home is watching TV illegally. This has been debunked.

Don't be scared. It'll be okay.

My parents still believe in those detector vans, and no matter how many times I tell them it's just a scare tactic, they are still adamant that they exist. :huff:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
My parents still believe in those detector vans, and no matter how many times I tell them it's just a scare tactic, they are still adamant that they exist. :huff:

:toofunny:
No need to worry. Go onto the TV licence website, and theres a form to fill in saying you don't watch TV channels, and you won't need to pay. You can use TV without a license for consoles, netflix and DVDS. I've been doing it for years, you just have to re sign the form every year. They always send those letters, but as long as you let them know you don't watch regular TV you'll be fine.
Reply 9

I get letters all the time. Every other week "an enforcement officer" is visiting. They never do, and if they did I just wouldn't answer the door. I will never pay for a TV license.

We get the letters despite having a TV license.
They are a load of nonsense tbh
This guy hasn't paid his TV license for over 10 years, and logs every threatening letter he receives: www.bbctvlicence.com

And yes, that URL is real. He bought it before the BBC managed to. :awesome:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest