Private Japanese proficiency test?

Watch this thread
bulbethaur
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm currently on a foundation year and on my way to studying Asia Pacific studies with Japanese next year. Although I'm content with this, I'd really like to study Japanese with Korean next year instead, however my university requires you to have an A level (or equivalent) in Japanese in order to do this course, as Japanese lessons will be taught in Japanese.I wasn't offered Japanese at A level and so never had the chance to take it, however since I have Japanese classes this year and access to the likes of Rosetta Stone (and some previous beginners Japanese) I wanted to try (no matter how impossible it may seem) to study really hard this year and enter into a recognised proficiency exam, whether that would be a private A Level exam or JLPT (or something else, even). If not, I'll just continue onto the course I'm currently pursuing, no harm done. Does anyone know what procedure I'd have to take in order to achieve this? Has anyone done private A level tests before, specifically Japanese?
Last edited by bulbethaur; 3 years ago
EchoC
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
HI, I have done A level Japanese last year and got an A
As what I have heard from my Japanese teacher last year, edexcel Japanese is changing their syllabus this year. Last year, I have to do two short comprehension and translate a short essay from Japanese to English, then a short essay on topic for AS exam; For A2 exam, there was a longer comprehenshion, a translation from English to Japanese and two essays to write. You can kind of prepare the essay cus one of the six topic was reading a book and the exam board will ask you to introduce the book or ask similar questions about the book every year, and the second essay was kind of horrible. I chose to study about a place in Japan and it includes everything about the place, you have to remember every aspects or every important events happens in that place in detailed. I originally was doing Kyoto for my study but ended up studying the whole Kansai to cover every topic. They could ask you questions like what high school students do in autumn hiking or in Bunkasai (the very popular Japanese high school open day?). They could also ask you to introduce about summer festival and how you get to the destination. The most rediculous question I have seen was the difference of weather in different parts of Japan. So the essay part is quite difficult I could say. But for the new syllabus this year, seems like they are changing it to watching a movie instead of reading a book. It makes it even harder cus they might ask very detailed part which you might not even notice from the movie.
I was taught by a Japanese native but due to her English is just so hard to understand and barely teach anything so I suggest the best and fastest way to learn Japanese is to watch Japanese Youtuber (seriously) or listening to Japanese broadcast, try to train youself to understand without having subtitles. I have been learning Japanese in my own way like this and have passed JLPT N3 exam.
Personally I feel like JLPT is actually easier than A level (just because of the essay part) and for JLPT you know the actual syllabus of what you need to know. Hopes this helps and good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (65)
66.33%
No (25)
25.51%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed