Student halls fire alarms Watch

Yablonski
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there,
I’m wondering if anyone knows whether my fire alarm will go off if i smoke inside my student halls?
Also, should I put a bag or condom to cover it? Or could that set it off with the lack of air flow?
Last edited by Yablonski; 1 week ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Yablonski)
Hi there,
I’m wondering if anyone knows whether my fire alarm will go off if i smoke inside my student halls?
The make is a gent o 34000 if that’s any help?
Also, should I put a bag or condom to cover it? Or could that set it off with the lack of air flow?
Don't be that person who smokes in their room and tampers with fire safety equipment (which is a crime btw).

Just go outside like everyone else.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,
Just go outside. Although it is annoying it will ruin the room if you do it so just follow the reasonable rule.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
UWS
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also, should I put a condom to cover it?
Oh so that's what those are used for.
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You shouldn't smoke inside halls, because yes the fire alarms can go off. The fire alarms have gone off in my halls because of people smoking in their rooms, annoying both security and the other residents. Covering up the fire alarms is an offence as well and you could risk losing your uni room. If you want to smoke, be considerate and go outside to do it
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
don't be an *******.

go outside.
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
People like you are the reason we had 2AM fire alarms at least once a week in halls.

Some people are at university to actually learn and not just spend their time doing stupid crap, so it'd be helpful if for their sake at least if you preserved their sleep and study time by not setting of a building wide alarm requiring the entire building to be evacuated every time you can't be arsed to walk down the stairs.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
People like you are the reason we had 2AM fire alarms at least once a week in halls.

Some people are at university to actually learn and not just spend their time doing stupid crap, so it'd be helpful if for their sake at least if you preserved their sleep and study time by not setting of a building wide alarm requiring the entire building to be evacuated every time you can't be arsed to walk down the stairs.
In my halls someone smoking inside was the reason for a fire alarm at 3am when I had an exam at 9. Not a fun day.

So Yablonski - grow up and stop being so selfish.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 1 week ago
Edge Hill University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,
Hi Yablonski,

No matter which halls you live in, smoking indoors is likely to set off any working fire alarm. Covering the fire alarm up is also a big risk - if you forget to take the covering off and a fire occurs, this could put you and your flatmates in danger. It's far better to smoke outside, especially as a fire alarm will disrupt everyone in the building.

Alex
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And also, many university halls have technology allowing them to see which fire alarm in which room activated the alarm. So when they see it was your room, and then they enter your room and it stinks of smoke, they'll know exactly what you did and you'll get kicked out of halls. You won't get your deposit back and you'll probably still have to pay the term's rent.
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A lot of university halls don't even have smoke detectors now, think how often they'd be going off with student cooking. They are heat detectors. Not to encourage you to smoke in your room as it will probably just cause you to lose your deposit but it isn't going to set off a smoke alarm
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In my university you will be thrown out of the accommodation if you get caught and you could cause a fire putting yourself and others at risk. If you want to smoke do it outside in a designated smoking area.

Side note, please don't smoke right outside your building entrance because there are people (myself included) with breathing problems who can get quite breathless and ill from breathing in smoke and we need to get in and out of buildings
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ironically, somebody set off the fire alarm in my halls today after vaping in their room; they've been given an £85 fine and could potentially be expelled
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?