Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi,
I am still waiting on some offers but have 3 offers -
2 from UCL

Politics and IR BSc
Politics Sociology and East European Studies BA

and 1 from KCL

European Politics BA

I am likely to get rejected from my other two offers and I am very split on what I should go for?

I really do like all of the courses a lot. I have visited the Unis and overall King's is my favorite. But if I am unable to get closer accommodation to the strand campus UCL may edge it so I would place them equally.

My question is, is that does it matter if I pick KCL or UCL for grad prospects? Is UCL inherently better? I want to join the fast stream and if not go into finance possibly or become a trainee solicitor.

Additionally, are any of these courses considered too 'soft' be employers? Will one of the degrees hold me back and will one give me an advantage?

Thanks.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Some things to consider for the UCL courses is the first course is a new one, so it's hard to say exactly what prospects will be compared to other courses; you can only infer from the overall prospects for people at UCL generally and perhaps from those in other politics programmes there. It seems to focus more on global politics, political theory, and political research than the others in the core programme (although you can take a lot of political theory options at KCL). Also the second UCL course is taught in SSEEAS, which will have a very strong emphasis on Eastern Europe (largely former Soviet states) as a result. If this is a region you're interested in, then that may be a positive, but if not you may find the other options more appealing. The KCL course focuses a lot more on Western Europe, by the look of it.

Arguably UCL might be slightly stronger on averages as far as prospects go, but averages can be deceiving so I wouldn't put too much weight on that. They're near enough that if you perform well and are proactive in looking for relevant experiences for later applications to grad schemes, e.g. vac schemes, networking, placements and so on during the course, I think the difference will be marginal.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 7 months ago
smaya001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
So what did you end up choosing?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
I am still waiting on some offers but have 3 offers -
2 from UCL

Politics and IR BSc
Politics Sociology and East European Studies BA

and 1 from KCL

European Politics BA

I am likely to get rejected from my other two offers and I am very split on what I should go for?

I really do like all of the courses a lot. I have visited the Unis and overall King's is my favorite. But if I am unable to get closer accommodation to the strand campus UCL may edge it so I would place them equally.

My question is, is that does it matter if I pick KCL or UCL for grad prospects? Is UCL inherently better? I want to join the fast stream and if not go into finance possibly or become a trainee solicitor.

Additionally, are any of these courses considered too 'soft' be employers? Will one of the degrees hold me back and will one give me an advantage?

Thanks.
jsalaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
KCL has a better career service department and I've heard it ranks above UCL for graduate employability. Still, both unis are very respectful, I wouldn't think about it too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
6.4%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (70)
56%
No (47)
37.6%

Watched Threads