The Student Room Group

Home fees or overseas fees?

I am finishing my UCAS application rn, but I am not sure about my status. I am an EU national, but in 2013 my father moved to London and my mother back to Brazil, and I was educated in the second, although I had an address in London since then. How shoulf I fill the application? I have been in the UK uninterruptedly since jan 2018, for a foundation year, even though it was not my first entry.

Thanks in advance!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Vizioli
I am finishing my UCAS application rn, but I am not sure about my status. I am an EU national, but in 2013 my father moved to London and my mother back to Brazil, and I was educated in the second, although I had an address in London since then. How shoulf I fill the application? I have been in the UK uninterruptedly since jan 2018, for a foundation year, even though it was not my first entry.

Thanks in advance!

Have you been *resident* in the UK since 2013? It may depend on the duration and number of absences from the UK.
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Have you been *resident* in the UK since 2013? It may depend on the duration and number of absences from the UK.

I just stayed with my father, but spent most of the time where I was studying, of course.

My doubt is because some of my friends on foundation even studying here for 9 months, they are still residing their home address. I was wondering if the opposite would not might be true.
Reply 3
Original post by Vizioli
I just stayed with my father, but spent most of the time where I was studying, of course.

My doubt is because some of my friends on foundation even studying here for 9 months, they are still residing their home address. I was wondering if the opposite would not might be true.

So has your *residence* (home) been in the UK since 2013? And what do you mean you "spent most of the time where I was studying"? Was this at a boarding school? Was this also in the UK (not that it actually affects your resident status)?

Your friends living at home whilst on your foundation course aren't relevant.
Sounds to me like OP was educated in Brazil and sometimes stayed with father in London but spent most of their "time where they were studying, of course...."ie in Brazil....which would make them overseas wouldn't it....
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
So has your *residence* (home) been in the UK since 2013? And what do you mean you "spent most of the time where I was studying"? Was this at a boarding school? Was this also in the UK (not that it actually affects your resident status)?

Your friends living at home whilst on your foundation course aren't relevant.

Original post by Simbasoul
Sounds to me like OP was educated in Brazil and sometimes stayed with father in London but spent most of their "time where they were studying, of course...."ie in Brazil....which would make them overseas wouldn't it....

Yeah, it is exactly how Simbasoul described.

We were living in Italy, then my parents got divorced, and I lived most of the time with my mother, in Brazil.

Intuitively, I thought I therefore would not be able to get home fees in England... But, as some friends even living in London their home address remain the one in their country, I was wondering about my case, since my father has been living here.
I believe it is where YOU have been living that counts for residency, unfortunately. To try and claim otherwise would be fraudulent - you will not have been on the Council tax bill etc...
Reply 7
Original post by Vizioli
Yeah, it is exactly how Simbasoul described.

We were living in Italy, then my parents got divorced, and I lived most of the time with my mother, in Brazil.

Intuitively, I thought I therefore would not be able to get home fees in England... But, as some friends even living in London their home address remain the one in their country, I was wondering about my case, since my father has been living here.

The exact dates are important - if you haven't been resident in the UK then you aren't a home applicant. You might be an EU applicant, but if you "lived most of the time" in Brazil you are international.

I believe it is where YOU have been living that counts for residency, unfortunately. To try and claim otherwise would be fraudulent - you will not have been on the Council tax bill etc...

yes agreed.

OP should assume they are international, unless they have evidence otherwise.
Reply 9
you can be temporarily absent from the UK due to your education or your parent’s work and still be “ordinarily resident” in the UK for that period of time, i.e. you would be living there if not for your schooling/parent’s job.
you could apply as a home status student and the universities might send you a fee status questionnaire (FSQ) before your offer, or give you an international offer and the option to appeal with an FSQ, or might just be given an offer as a home student.
I go to a british school overseas and as long as you have a convincing reason for your absence from the uk despite it being your home lots f people get home status offers despite having lived abroad for several years.
depends on the university too, i had two offers as home status, one of which was international but i sent an FSQ and they agreed i was actually qualified for home, and one that was international and stayed international despite my FSQ.

hope that helps.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by mciryam
you can be temporarily absent from the UK due to your education or your parent’s work and still be “ordinarily resident” in the UK for that period of time, i.e. you would be living there if not for your schooling/parent’s job.
you could apply as a home status student and the universities might send you a fee status questionnaire (FSQ) before your offer, or give you an international offer and the option to appeal with an FSQ, or might just be given an offer as a home student.
I go to a british school overseas and as long as you have a convincing reason for your absence from the uk despite it being your home lots f people get home status offers despite having lived abroad for several years.
depends on the university too, i had two offers as home status, one that was international but i sent an FSQ and they agreed i was actually qualified for home, and one that was international and stayed international despite my FSQ.

hope that helps.

The temporary absence for school thing always used to be where you were at a boarding school abroad or where your parents were Forces employed etc - NOT where you are living abroad with your mum (who assumably has the parental responsibility for the OP from the divorce) and attending a local Brazilian school.....
The temporary absence for school thing always used to be where you were at a boarding school abroad or where your parents were Forces employed etc - NOT where you are living abroad with your mum (who assumably has the parental responsibility for the OP from the divorce) and attending a local Brazilian school.....

maybe that's the case but i'm british and have lived abroad (in asia, outside the eu) since i was six with my family at a normal school and have got offered home status from 2 out of my 4 offers. honestly i think it's worth it to apply as home anyway because international fees can be like, double or triple. all that could happen is the university disagrees and gives you an international offer instead, right?

you have the opportunity to put your parents' nationalities and talk about how your ordinary address and your current address are two different thing and why in the FSQ
Original post by mciryam
maybe that's the case but i'm british and have lived abroad (in asia, outside the eu) since i was six with my family at a normal school and have got offered home status from 2 out of my 4 offers. honestly i think it's worth it to apply as home anyway because international fees can be like, double or triple. all that could happen is the university disagrees and gives you an international offer instead, right?

you have the opportunity to put your parents' nationalities and talk about how your ordinary address and your current address are two different thing and why in the FSQ

It does depend on the course - some courses have quotas for home:interntational students which are very strict - if you apply saying you are one criteria and then they find out that actually you are the other, then there is NO obligation for the university to honour any offer (as it is technically a fraudulent application) and they may not be able to, if the quota for your criteria is already full.
It does depend on the course - some courses have quotas for home:interntational students which are very strict - if you apply saying you are one criteria and then they find out that actually you are the other, then there is NO obligation for the university to honour any offer (as it is technically a fraudulent application) and they may not be able to, if the quota for your criteria is already full.

didnt know that! okay then. might be risky for OP to apply as home. OP you can probably find course specific information about quotas and things to help you decide.

a good portion of people in my year (british school, mostly british nationals, fair number of eu nationals, living in asia for anywhere from 2 to 17 years) did what i did though and it’s what we’ve been doing for ages even though we’re not resident in the uk. both of my older sisters had the same situation as me (tho they were older when we moved away obviously) and are currently studying medicine as home students. so financially..... i would still stand by what i recommend since 18k pounds (the difference between home and international fees for my course) is a lot of money
Sadly, just because they are doing it, doesn't necessarily mean it is right though....and for everyone who is doing it fradulently (because that is what it is) every true home student is paying a bit more in terms of fees/missing out on courses etc.
Reply 15
Nice, guys! I was looking for an objective criteria, like the council bill tax. I am gonna check that out and the other information provided.

I am asking that because I heard some students in a similar situation are paying home fees.

Thanks!
Reply 16
Original post by Vizioli
Nice, guys! I was looking for an objective criteria, like the council bill tax. I am gonna check that out and the other information provided.

I am asking that because I heard some students in a similar situation are paying home fees.

Thanks!

As we have said many times, it entirely depends on *your* situation. What others are doing is up to them.
Impossible to say for certain, but unless OP’s Mum was only overseas for work and maintained a property in the UK during her absence, I suspect they’ll be overseas for fees.
Reply 18
Original post by Admit-One
Impossible to say for certain, but unless OP’s Mum was only overseas for work and maintained a property in the UK during her absence, I suspect they’ll be overseas for fees.

Not the case, she moved back. The only property is in my father's name (he has been living and running a business in London for a while).
Reply 19
Original post by Admit-One

Not the case, she moved back. The only property is in my father's name (he has been living and running a business in London for a while).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending