The Student Room Group

The History Study Thread (Advice and discussion here!)

Scroll to see replies

Currently trying to work out which concentration camps and ghettos to focus on in my upcoming essay - any ideas ? :redface:
Original post by brownanya122
I’m also doing the Stuart Britain paper! How are you finding it? :smile:

Hello again :smile: sorry for the late reply, I've had a hiatus and just been so busy lately! I'm currently focusing on my NEA at the moment but in class we're still studying James 2, pretty soon we'll be on William of Orange:u: I haven't started any revision yet, but I definitely find that after the interregnum, things are much more straight forward to understand (After some thorough reading...) what about you?:tongue:
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Hello again :smile: sorry for the late reply, I've had a hiatus and just been so busy lately! I'm currently focusing on my NEA at the moment but in class we're still studying James 2, pretty soon we'll be on William of Orange:u: I haven't started any revision yet, but I definitely find that after the interregnum, things are much more straight forward to understand (After some thorough reading...) what about you?:tongue:

Hi there! I'm pretty much the same, just had mocks which went well so that was a bit of a relief! The level of detail is definitely more manageable than the depth study I'm finding :smile:
Need some advice?

Did you a level students write notes for history!?

I did for British history since there's so much but haven't for the other two topics and now I'm thinking... Should I even write notes?

What do you think? What did you do?

I write notes since ours (we get given booklets) aren't massively detailed and it's better to include extra information if it helps you understand your topic better.
Hey has anyone done wjec medicine through time? I'm really struggling to find welsh examples for my essay :smile:
Hiya I am doing both of these topics! My exam is on Tuesday and if you have any Essay plans or tips to give me that would be really appreciate, thank you!
Original post by marishax17
Hiya I am doing both of these topics! My exam is on Tuesday and if you have any Essay plans or tips to give me that would be really appreciate, thank you!

Which topics? :smile:

Try having a look here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources?q=essay+plan&level_id%5B%5D=gcse&subject_id%5B%5D=history
Giving this thread a little :bump: for the new term.
Study Level: A Level AQA
Subjects studying: Tsarist and Communist Russia, Wars Of The Roses

What do you like about history?
I just really like knowing and thinking about things, and how they were in the past. I really enjoyed GCSE.

Things have been going quite good, I've been doing quite well in my essays, but I need to use more detail when assessing the value of sources in the Wars Of The Roses
Reply 30
Original post by Leia studies
Hi
Long story short I haven't done ANY revision for my History A level - well not much compared to my other 2 subjects.

I haven't done any notes or exam Q's etc.

Is there ANY point in me making notes when the exam is in May 2019 (4 months!)

What are the best ways to revise for History at A level?
Is it worth it to make notes!?
I was thinking of going through the textbook & revision guide quickly and simply making the summarised notes (all of them) asap and then focusing on nailing down the actual content / knowledge??

What would you do if you were in my situation?

If not notes then what should I do?
- watch videos?
- make mind maps?
- answer exam Q's?

Topics:
- Britain politics
- America & conformity
- British Warfare
- coursework (doing now)

What should I do??????

Thank you

if you ask me try to look up at exam questions and figure out how your content would be assed and then create a mind map including all the information you will need for that question from your text book or even ask your teacher( if they help mine never do so ) then try to learn those mind maps ,
if you don't learn smt try to create a flash card from it
with British warfare creating a time line would be really useful too as it shows you how things changed over time more visually

good luck
Hi, I'm currently in Yr 12, and I study Challenge and Transformation in Britain (1851-1964) and the American Revolution.

Could any of you lend some tips as to how to write a typical 30 or 25 mark essay under timed conditions please?

I'm not sure what I need to do to make sure I can get everything in before my time finishes ( I time myself 30 mins for these types of questions and it's not enough!)

Many thanks x
Original post by Oluwatoniloba18
Hi, I'm currently in Yr 12, and I study Challenge and Transformation in Britain (1851-1964) and the American Revolution.

Could any of you lend some tips as to how to write a typical 30 or 25 mark essay under timed conditions please?

I'm not sure what I need to do to make sure I can get everything in before my time finishes ( I time myself 30 mins for these types of questions and it's not enough!)

Many thanks x

Good planning always helps, generally just have a look at the generic marking criteria to make sure you're going to cover all the different kinds of angles that you need to in the essay. :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Good planning always helps, generally just have a look at the generic marking criteria to make sure you're going to cover all the different kinds of angles that you need to in the essay. :smile:

Okay, I will try to do so. Thanks a lot x
Study Level: A-Level (OCR)
Subjects studying: Pitt to Peel, Russia and its rulers 1855-1964, South Africa 1948-1999, Nazi Germany 1933-39
Favourite period of history: I really like American History as a whole, with notable emphasis on the Slave Trade, Civil Rights movement, and the 'roaring twenties'
How are your studies going so far? just very stressful!
Original post by massive32
Anyone studying the New Edexcel A level in History (Democracies and Change)? If anyone wants to share resources and revision tips that would be brilliant!

me
Reply 36
Level of study: AS
Exam Board: AQA
Topics: The Tudors: England, 1485–1603 and Democracy and Nazism: Germany, 1918–1945

Honestly, I hate it. It's too hard and it takes me 3 hours to write one essay with all my notes there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending