Advanced Higher Physics 2018-19 Watch

Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Here's a place for anyone doing AH physics to discuss the course, ask questions you're stuck on, share advice for the assignment, and prepare for the final exam

How's everyone finding it so far?
Hey234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
An object of mass 0.20 kg is connected by a string to an object of half its mass. The
smaller mass is rotating at a radius of 0.15 m on a table which has a frictionless surface.
The larger mass is suspended through a hole in the middle of the table.
Calculate the number of revolutions per minute the smaller mass must make so that the larger mass is stationary?

how to answer this question?
Eimmanuel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hey234)
An object of mass 0.20 kg is connected by a string to an object of half its mass. The
smaller mass is rotating at a radius of 0.15 m on a table which has a frictionless surface.
Calculate the number of revolutions per minute the smaller mass must make so that the larger mass is stationary?

Name:  circular_motion_01.JPG
Views: 4
Size:  29.6 KB
The above picture depicts what the problem is describing.
“An object of mass m2 = 0.20 kg is connected by a string to an object of half its mass. The smaller mass m1 is rotating at a radius of r = 0.15 m on a table which has a frictionless surface.”

The tension in the string is due to the weight of m2 and the centripetal force is provided by the tension to cause m1 to move in a circular motion of radius r. You should be able to write Newton’s 2nd law for m1 and solve for the angular velocity of m1 to find the number of revolutions per minute.
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?

:wavey: I've moved your question over into the new AH physics thread for this year
Hey234
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
:wavey: I've moved your question over into the new AH physics thread for this year
Thank you, i couldn't find the new thread for this year.
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Thank you, i couldn't find the new thread for this year.
No problem- I just created it
Hey234
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
During trial firing of Pioneer Moon rockets, one rocket reached an altitude of
125,000 km. Neglecting the effect of the Moon, estimate the velocity with which this
rocket struck the atmosphere of the Earth on its return. (Assume that the rocket’s path is
entirely radial and that the atmosphere extends to a height of 130 km above the Earth

Please don't answer this, I just need a direction of what theory should I think about here and how to approach this question, I think they are talking about impact velocity but that is not mentioned in the curriculum.
Eimmanuel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
[/font]
[/font][/font]
[/font][/font]
[/font][/font]

Please don't answer this, I just need a direction of what theory should I think about here and how to approach this question, I think they are talking about impact velocity but that is not mentioned in the curriculum.
I thought impact velocity or impact speed is typically found using conservation of energy or sometimes it also needs conservation of angular momentum. I would be very surprised conservation of energy is not covered in a typical A-level physics syllabus. However, not covering conservation of angular momentum is understandable.

As for this problem, you can solve it using conservation of energy. It is like throwing a ball upward and asking you what is the speed at certain height above the ground.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?