The Student Room Group

Need help with life, career and relationship!!!

I recently graduated with a 2.2 in English from UWE, Bristol and I have been trying to look for a job within the publishing/editorial sectors. I have been unsuccessful with some jobs and haven't heard from other applications :frown:. Therefore, I wondered whether teaching would be the way forward? I feel really stuck and almost depressed because I finished my studies ages ago, still haven't found a job and living back home. To top this all off, my boyfriend wants me to move to Bristo and stay with him which I would love, however, my family are completely against this and believe I should build a career in London. Of course, I can see why as London is the cultural and business capital, and this has left me all confused about what to do :frown:.

On the one hand, I love my boyfriend and this February, we will be celebrating our 3 year anniversary! Given the state of things and how we have been arguing and struggling with the distance, I'm not sure if we will be celebrating :frown:. I am quite shy and would definitely say I am more of an introvert and much prefer the quieter city with some country, rather than the hustle and bustle of London. On the other hand, however, I feel obliged and should really listen to my family as they are older, wiser, more experienced and are right about London and its opportunities.

Is there any possibility to be successful without being in London? I mean, of course, there are successful people/businesses away from London, but in terms of publishing/editing or teaching, then London would be the way forward as opposed to Bristol?
Also any advice on people in love? I guess one of the issues is that he is my first love and my first ever boyfriend. Our relationship has also been a little unbalanced - we spent so much time together that I didn't really gain the social circle of friends I should have done at uni. So I definitely know that this needs to change - I need to focus on myself, learn to love myself and look after myself etc.

I just want to learn to find the balance between my career, relationship and focusing/working on myself but I'm struggling to see how I can do that :frown:. I also feel worse because I only achieved a 2.2 for my degree which means my career and postgraduate opportunities are limited anyway :frown:.

Sorry for the long post and rant! I just need some help and advice :frown: . Thank you all in advance, I greatly appreciate the help.
Reply 1
Also just wanted to add that my mum has said that if I move to Bristol she won't support me and would pretty much cut contact with me and knows I would come crawling back. She has accused my boyfriend of being manipulative but is that comment in itself not manipulative? I don't know maybe it's not but it seems quite controlling and it frustrates me when my family say I'm free to make my own choices but yet make comments like this.:frown:
Any advice anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest