The Student Room Group

Which universities are good for games programming?

I have applied to:

- Teesside
- Staffordshire
- Bournemouth
- Derby
- Gloucestershire University

Are these good?
Original post by V E R N I T Y
I have applied to:

- Teesside
- Staffordshire
- Bournemouth
- Derby

Are these good?

Hi @V E R E N I T Y

We're excited to hear that you've applied for Staffs! :badger:

In terms of our Games Programming degree, our course has been developed in partnership with the industry to make sure you have the skills you need for when you graduate. We're members of TIGA and we're also members of the Playstation First Academic Program which means you'll get your hands on kit you wouldn't necessarily find at other universities.

This course also received a 93% student satisfaction score at NSS 2018 which means our students are currently really enjoying this course.

Did you have any particular questions about the course at Staffs?

Thanks

Amy
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @V E R E N I T Y

We're excited to hear that you've applied for Staffs! :badger:

In terms of our Games Programming degree, our course has been developed in partnership with the industry to make sure you have the skills you need for when you graduate. We're members of TIGA and we're also members of the Playstation First Academic Program which means you'll get your hands on kit you wouldn't necessarily find at other universities.

This course also received a 93% student satisfaction score at NSS 2018 which means our students are currently really enjoying this course.

Did you have any particular questions about the course at Staffs?

Thanks

Amy

I was wondering how the classes or lectures are like. Also how many hours are there per week?
I was wondering how the classes or lectures are like. Also how many hours are there per week?

Hi @V E R E N I T Y

Just to let you know I've emailed the course leader to double-check this. I'll post the reply on here when I get it.

Thanks

Amy
I have applied to:

- Teesside
- Staffordshire
- Bournemouth
- Derby

Are these good?

Hi @V E R E N I T Y

Great to hear that you've applied to us!
We offer our Computer Games Programming with an optional industrial year, so it's a great way to get some experience in the field during your time with us. We currently have 90% of students in a professional or managerial job within 6 months of graduating from the course.

Are you joining us for one of our applicant days? They are a great chance to come for a look around, meet your coursemates and have a taster session of what you will get up to on Computer Games Programming!

Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Emily

Hi @V E R E N I T Y

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply - the lecturer I emailed has been on paternity leave.

This is his response:

"Each module usually has 4 hours contact each week, split between lectures and practical sessions. Each semester you have 4 modules. In the lectures you will be taught the theoretical content that is needed to complete the practical sessions. Practicals will usually take place in our high spec computer games programming lab."

Also, as @University of Derby mentioned, it's definitely a good idea to attend as many open days as you can. This way you'll get a real feel for the university, campus and course. Our next Open Day at our Stoke campus is 23rd March and you can book on here.

I hope that helps. If there's anything else we can help you with, please give us a shout.

Thanks

Amy

Quick Reply

Latest