Turn on thread page Beta

Do you have a role model? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you have a role model?
    Yes - I know them personally
    26.02%
    Yes - they're famous
    25.41%
    No I don't
    48.57%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Do you have a role model? Does someone inspire you?

These days there are are a lot of every day people who act as influencers and share products from the brands they've sponsored on social media. They're followed in huge numbers because they're relatable.... right? So does that make them the new role models?

I'm reading Michelle Obama's autobiography - she has so much integrity - I haven't finished it yet, but so far her values shine through and it's something that resonates with me. She's certainly a role model that I look up too.

It doesn't have to be someone in the limelight, I have friends and colleagues who I look up too. They model behaviours that I really admire.

Who inspires you and why? :moon:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Answer Heroes

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Answer Heroes
    Yes I have a role
    Yes I have a model
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Not really, don't think I have a role model. But I admire certain individuals for their talents, such as Lionel Messi
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If I'm to answer this honestly then yes, I have a few. Feel free to judge lol.

- Buddha
    - Jacksepticeye (Youtuber)
    - Captain America, The Flash, Spider-Man
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Not really, don't think I have a role model. But I admire certain individuals for their talents, such as Lionel Messi
    And is part of the reason you admire Lessi is because they've worked hard at their skills and fitness? It's not like they just turn up on the pitch every Saturday and hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    Elon Musk. Apart from the labour abuse and accusation against him, he is working really hard for the better of everyone else. Electric cars are becoming a thing and space travel is becoming affordable.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No not really :dontknow:

Edit* Actually yes - my old philosophy lecturer. She was amazing. How can someone be so smart, passionate and organised?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by JoshDarnIt)
    If I'm to answer this honestly then yes, I have a few. Feel free to judge lol.

- Buddha
    - Jacksepticeye (Youtuber)
    - Captain America, The Flash, Spider-Man
    Do you mind chatting about this

Buddha - what is it for you that resonates? I've read a lot of books on Buddha so really interested to hear your views.

I don't know the YouTuber - will check them out.

Love a good super-hero. We all love them, that's why Marvel make millions! What is it about these character's stories that you like?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    And is part of the reason you admire Lessi is because they've worked hard at their skills and fitness? It's not like they just turn up on the pitch every Saturday and hope for the best.
    That too, also his story. Despite his enormous talent, when he was little he had a health issue with his legs and physical growth and doctors told him he'll be unable to play football professionally due to that, which ultimately was his dream. Look at him now, best player in the history of the sport. He's also a joy to watch
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    That too, also his story. Despite his enormous talent, when he was little he had a health issue with his legs and physical growth and doctors told him he'll be unable to play football professionally due to that, which ultimately was his dream. Look at him now, best player in the history of the sport. He's also a joy to watch
    That's incredible. I had no idea, what a story.

Do you feel that's a big reason why you're inspired by him over other footballers, because of their journey and how they've overcome the odds?

ReputationRep:
    Big reason for his loyalty to Barca, too, I think. They took the gamble and footed the cost for his hormone treatments etc.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Lady Jamie)
    No not really :dontknow:
    Why do you think that is?

Do you feel that no one is role modelling admirable behaviours out there?

If you had create a role model what traits and characteristics do you think they'd have? :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Right now I'm completely impressed by AOC, she's only a few years older than me and yet has achieved so much and she is a really committed and unwavering radical but with flare, panache and style and she's also clearly a good person.
    https://twitter.com/AOC
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_Ocasio-Cortez

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind chatting about this

Buddha - what is it for you that resonates? I've read a lot of books on Buddha so really interested to hear your views.

I don't know the YouTuber - will check them out.

Love a good super-hero. We all love them, that's why Marvel make millions! What is it about these character's stories that you like?
    Sure!

I like Buddha because I love how compassionate and peaceful he is. His philosophies really help me in life too. He inspires me to love all living beings, treat everyone with respect and just be a good person. Soz if that's cringe lol, but it's true.

He playes video games. The reason I like him is cos he's not egotistical and is a really compassionate person. As big as he is, he doesn't flaunt his success and remains humble, treating all his subscribers with respect. I should have mentioned, Syndicate is another Youtuber who I see as a role model. Reason being he inspires me to travel and make the most of life

Who doesn't I can relate to them cos they've been through so much yet remain good people. Having read comics since I was around 6, they helped me get through some difficult times and still do to this day. I love everything they stand for, especially Cap.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    That's incredible. I had no idea, what a story.

Do you feel that's a big reason why you're inspired by him over other footballers, because of their journey and how they've overcome the odds?
    It's part of it, but I'd say what I admire most about him is his natural gift for the sport combined with his modesty. You can tell he was made for football, I don't think any other player comes close to Messi in terms of raw talent, yet he's so humble. Also, very unselfish player, anyone in his team automatically becomes a better footballer playing by his side
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Big reason for his loyalty to Barca, too, I think. They took the gamble and footed the cost for his hormone treatments etc.
    Definitely
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Right now I'm completely impressed by AOC, she's only a few years older than me and yet has achieved so much and she is a really committed and unwavering radical but with flare, panache and style and she's also clearly a good person.
    https://twitter.com/AOC
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_Ocasio-Cortez
    I've started following her on Twitter. Do you follow American politics? Pod Save America podcast is brilliant.

Who else is on your role model list? Do you go through phases depending on where you are in life or is it pretty consistent?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Being 100% genuine you are my role model she rah, you are so kind and patient and wise. I admire how you have navigated through life for so long and you are just a very pure individual :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think that is?

Do you feel that no one is role modelling admirable behaviours out there?

If you had create a role model what traits and characteristics do you think they'd have? :moon:
    I know you didn't ask me, but I kinda want to answer this.

It's not that there are not people I respect or admire, it is more that I am very, very careful about reifying them as something they are not. In other words, I am careful not to put people on pedestals, which is something that the Buddha was big on warning against (and is also why I think 90% of Buddhists 'do' Buddhism wrong).

I respect lots of people for lots of reasons, but none of them are perfect and I do not want to base my life on theirs. I idolise nobody, and that's what it amounts to for me.

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.