chemistry a level??? Watch

giovanna44
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
im currently picking my a level subjects and i want to study architecture at uni after sixth form. im going to take history and i heard art is recommended but i also love chemistry and dont want to stop doing it after gcses. would this combination of a levels be too awkward and should i just choose psychology instead of chemistry?
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
With A level Art in there, it does indeed make a weird combination. Psychology fits more better and is easier than Chemistry. Personally I don't do A level Chemistry but my mates find it VERY VERY hard, like you have to work A LOT in order to hit the top marks. To put it simply, A level Chemistry is pretty much Mathematics, hardly any theory in there.
But then again this is coming from NOT A level Chemistry student, I am simply basing my opinions off others
blackvoid17
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by giovanna44)
im currently picking my a level subjects and i want to study architecture at uni after sixth form. im going to take history and i heard art is recommended but i also love chemistry and dont want to stop doing it after gcses. would this combination of a levels be too awkward and should i just choose psychology instead of chemistry?
I'm planning on doing architecture at uni too and ive taken chemistry. Tbh you dont need specific subjects (not even art because you'll be sending a portfolio either way) so do whatever you want
RudelyHonest
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The RAR)
With A level Art in there, it does indeed make a weird combination. Psychology fits more better and is easier than Chemistry. Personally I don't do A level Chemistry but my mates find it VERY VERY hard, like you have to work A LOT in order to hit the top marks. To put it simply, A level Chemistry is pretty much Mathematics, hardly any theory in there.
But then again this is coming from NOT A level Chemistry student, I am simply basing my opinions off others
Disagree with the "pretty much mathematics, hardly any theory in there" but agree with the rest. There is definitely more mathematics but I would say it is still around 50/50 in terms of theory and mathematics. Also, the mathematics is not that difficult, but remembering the different steps you need to take for different types of calculations in the many different topics is what makes it difficult.

I do A-Level Chemistry and it is a lot harder than GCSEs. I am not discouraging OP from taking Chemistry, as he/she seems to really enjoy it but have a flick through an A-Level Chemistry book and see if THAT is interesting as it is quite different. Definitiely requires a lot of work to get the grades.
Aleks<3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd go for it! Some unis actually do like a science subject (source: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcse...file/architect)

I'm in year 13 of chemistry and not going to lie, it's difficult, one of the hardest A levels out there. But don't let that discourage you! If you work hard, you'll do well (I used to get Es and Us at the first few months). If you're curently doing your gcses, just get an 7/8/9 at chem and understand it well now so that you struggle less at a level (speaking from experience).

Art, History and Chemistry may seem like a odd combination, but that just means you're a well rounded person. You'll be good at both essay writing and problem solving! Psychology is good, but if you enjoy chem then I'd really go for it. Goodluck ^^
giovanna44
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackvoid17)
I'm planning on doing architecture at uni too and ive taken chemistry. Tbh you dont need specific subjects (not even art because you'll be sending a portfolio either way) so do whatever you want
Thank you this has been a lot of help do you think it would be worth swapping out art for psychology? also if you don’t mind me asking what a levels are you taking?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
giovanna44
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aleks&lt;3)
I'd go for it! Some unis actually do like a science subject (source: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcse...file/architect)

I'm in year 13 of chemistry and not going to lie, it's difficult, one of the hardest A levels out there. But don't let that discourage you! If you work hard, you'll do well (I used to get Es and Us at the first few months). If you're curently doing your gcses, just get an 7/8/9 at chem and understand it well now so that you struggle less at a level (speaking from experience).

Art, History and Chemistry may seem like a odd combination, but that just means you're a well rounded person. You'll be good at both essay writing and problem solving! Psychology is good, but if you enjoy chem then I'd really go for it. Goodluck ^^
thanks lots of people have said that it’s a hard course which is what’s putting me off but I’ve just done mocks and got all 9s in my sciences so I’m just as confused as ever
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
12doeb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I take biology maths and chemistry. I personally do not find chemistry that difficult. There are some difficult concepts that can take a while to wrap your head around. Eg buffers calculations and enthalpy units. I must say a got roughly an E at GCSE chemistry and I’m on track for a A or B at A-Level. Buffers are definitely the hardest thing so far at Alevel. And if you are alright a gcse chemistry and you ENJOY it, then go for it! I have no clue whether this a level will be more useful than others for your future plans.
blackvoid17
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by giovanna44)
Thank you this has been a lot of help do you think it would be worth swapping out art for psychology? also if you don’t mind me asking what a levels are you taking?
They do say art is useful, however if you think you'd enjoy psychology more and you're more likely to get a good grade in it then go for it. I've taken maths chemistry and geography
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed