Interchange
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Is too much vitamin C harmful? I drink roughly a litre of cranberry juice a day which is about 300mg a day. I also take a multivitamin which provides 100% RDA of vitamin C. So I have about six times the RDA amount of vitamin C. I eat tangerines quite often too.
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it wont kill you (the dose for toxicity is pretty high in vit c IIRC,) but if you're worried, don't take the bloody multivitamin then.
Meeegan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah I know of someone that ended up in hospital cuz he'd had too much Vitamin C in him.
Crystal Snowflake
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I don't think it's very good for you.
Might be a good idea to cut out the multi-vitamins.
If your really worried you might wanna talk to a dietician-type person
Interchange
Rep:
?
Hmm ok. I'll look for some vitamins which don't have vitamin C. Am I likely to find one? I don't really eat a lot of veg so I should take the pill. Probably better to cut down on the juice. Thanks.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Vit C toxicity can kill and it is not unknown in farm animals.

Cut out the vit c tabs, vit c from a natural source is much more beneficial and much more easily absorbed. Not to mention the fact that taking just a vit c supplement on it's own is pretty pointless unless you have a deficiency, otherwise you're just pissing them out.
Last edited by RK; 4 months ago
Interchange
Rep:
?
Na it is a multivitamin. Has loads of things in which I probably don't get otherwise.
Jesska xD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Um.. totally out of the blue but doesn't juice rot your teeth?
struz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can it really kill? I thought it was really hard/impossible for the body to absorb therefore rendering it harmless...
Jennybean
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jessikar)
Only if you're in the habit of never brushing, flossing or using mouthwash...
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by l0uis)
Hmm ok. I'll look for some vitamins which don't have vitamin C. Am I likely to find one? I don't really eat a lot of veg so I should take the pill. Probably better to cut down on the juice. Thanks.
The juice is much better for your health than a little tablet. It contains many more other vitamins and minerals as well as other compounds such as antioxidants. Vit c tabs lack all of that.

And if you're going down the supplement route, get a full A-Z multivitamin/mineral complex, that is the best way of targeting any possible deficiencies. Also don't go for supplements with more than 100% of your rda otherwise you risk toxicity issues (particularly with vit D and K if i remember correctly).
dani2511
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Citric acid in some fruit juices (and of course, the fruits themselves) will ware away at the enamel... as long as the juice is drunk in moderate amounts, it should be fine.
Jesska xD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dani2511)
Citric acid in some fruit juices (and of course, the fruits themselves) will ware away at the enamel... as long as the juice is drunk in moderate amounts, it should be fine.

I don't even have tooth enamel!! :mad:
Jennybean
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by struz)
Can it really kill? I thought it was really hard/impossible for the body to absorb therefore rendering it harmless...
No, it's impossible for the body to store, being a water soluble rather than a fat soluble vitamin. Yes it can kill but it is extremely rare in humans. But if you're coming down from a high dose to a more normal one, do it gradually otherwise you may have problems with "rebound scurvy".
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You shouldn't have any problems if you drink a glass of water after any juice and then don't brush your teeth until an hour+ afterwards to allow the enamel to re localise, otherwise you greatly increase the risk of brushing your enamel off.
struz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jennybean)
No, it's impossible for the body to store, being a water soluble rather than a fat soluble vitamin. Yes it can kill but it is extremely rare in humans. But if you're coming down from a high dose to a more normal one, do it gradually otherwise you may have problems with "rebound scurvy".
ahh thank you for that little nugget of info!
Smile04
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought vitamin C was water soluble so the rest you dont use come out through your urine? say if im wrong..
http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydie...rals/vitaminc/
dani2511
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't even have tooth enamel!! :mad:
You don't have tooth enamel?
Jesska xD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You don't have tooth enamel?
On my two front teeth I wasn't born with any... and this is bad because they wear away easily so i'm not allowed to drink fizzy drinks.
Ed.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
As Sheldon in Big Bang Theory says; multi vitamins serve little purpose except "expensive piss"

It is very hard to take a damaging amount of Vit C
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (208)
43.61%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (55)
11.53%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.55%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (102)
21.38%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (49)
10.27%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.66%

Watched Threads