a200304
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My mum keeps shouting at me as I don't know what I want to do after my GCSEs and i try explain but i just don't know. Also she's always like "you need to choose the a levels that will get you into a course you want to do in university " like i know that but i really don't know what i want to do is this bad? :/
username4424542
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
no its up to u what u wanna do in the future. obvs ur moms gonna want the best for u which is why most parents try to encourage their kids that unis the best, but its cause they dont understand that theres other options that can also help u become successful. maybe try talk to her and teach her about other options like apprenticeships etc
marnalarn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No it's not bad at all. I was in your position too, as were many many others. I took the IB instead of A levels to keep my options open subject wise (you can do this with A levels too by taking a variety) and then studied something I enjoyed at university, not necessarily with the intention of working in it and then it wasn't until I was 21 that I decided what I wanted to do. You've got time! It's a huge decision to make, don't rush it, your mum just wants what's best for you
AloofOlive
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
it's good to chose your A-levels strategically (subjects that mesh) but at the same time have enough varience that you don't want to shoot yourself by week 2 - if you don't know what you want to do chose the subjects you like as there the ones you will probably go into - you have still got time though
NetNeutrality
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
nah its fine lol im in year 11 still havent decided my 3rd alevel (picking between 3 atm lol)
jemmadelaney
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by a200304)
My mum keeps shouting at me as I don't know what I want to do after my GCSEs and i try explain but i just don't know. Also she's always like "you need to choose the a levels that will get you into a course you want to do in university " like i know that but i really don't know what i want to do is this bad? :/
literally no, DONT WORRY!!! i’m doing the first year of my a-levels right now and i honestly have no idea what i want to do at uni; i don’t even know if i want to go to uni lol. What subjects do you enjoy and what subjects are you good at? Keep your doors wide open and explore all the courses colleges near you are offering. Just remember you don’t Necessarily have to pick the same A-level as the course you want to take at uni. For example, you do not have to take law at A-level to be able to do it at uni. Obviously some degrees require specific A-levels e.g. medicine requires biology and chemistry but apart from that make sure to keep your options open
tuftyispie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Allot of people at this point don't know what they want to do. If you don't know what to do its nothing to worry about. Allot of people at this point (like me) that know what they are going to do in the future have a serious passion about something and they love learning, studying and doing it.
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by NetNeutrality)
nah its fine lol im in year 11 still havent decided my 3rd alevel (picking between 3 atm lol)
good luck
a200304
Rep:
?
(Original post by NetNeutrality)
ouf atleast im not the only one thenn
a200304
Rep:
?
(Original post by jemmadelaney)
literally no, DONT WORRY!!! i’m doing the first year of my a-levels right now and i honestly have no idea what i want to do at uni; i don’t even know if i want to go to uni lol. What subjects do you enjoy and what subjects are you good at? Keep your doors wide open and explore all the courses colleges near you are offering. Just remember you don’t Necessarily have to pick the same A-level as the course you want to take at uni. For example, you do not have to take law at A-level to be able to do it at uni. Obviously some degrees require specific A-levels e.g. medicine requires biology and chemistry but apart from that make sure to keep your options open
This has made me feel so much better, and i really do want to do the subjects i enjoy and dont want to disappoint my mum but at the end of the day it is what it is!
jemmadelaney
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
This has made me feel so much better, and i really do want to do the subjects i enjoy and dont want to disappoint my mum but at the end of the day it is what it is!
Yh i get u wanna make ur mum happy but just remember that this is your future and you are the only person who controls it! good luck with everything x
NetNeutrality
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
good luck
thank you!
NetNeutrality
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
ouf atleast im not the only one thenn
lmao im thinking of one id go with atm but idk if ill change
melissa.17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey, I'm in my second college year and still kind of have no idea what I want to do. I know people in uni who still question what they want to do! I chose to study animals a month before college so you have time yet. Think about what you enjoy in school or after school. Also remember there are other options to A levels, do what is best for you because there might be other qualifications you haven't looked at but are interested in.

If you're still unsure pick A levels that are varied so when you do decide you have a wide range of options. Some uni degrees just want you to have a levels regardless of what they are!

Good luck x
Anni03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You're in year 10 right?
You seriously need to focus on passing your GCSE's first before thinking about your A levels.
Go do some work experience to show your mum that you're trying to find the perfect job for your future.
It's not bad, you need some experience to gain some knowledge on what your going to do.
Just have an outline of the subjects you enjoy and maybe do some research and find some jobs related to your interests.
liv.h19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi there!

I'm currently in Year 13 about to do my A Levels and went through a kind of similar situation when I was your age.

Firstly, whatever you choose at A Level or Uni is completely up to you. I know that you sometimes will want to choose things to please your family or teachers but at the end of the day, it will be you that has to attend the lessons, do the homework, revise the subjects every day and in the end, do the exams.

You still have over a year until you do your GCSEs, which means about 1.5 years until results day, when you have to make your A Level choices. That's 18 months to find out what you are good at and enjoy.

As for university, please don't worry about that yet! I didn't know what I wanted to do at Uni until the end of Year 12 and only knew what universities I wanted to apply to at the start of Year 13. You have plenty of time and speaking to teachers and attending open days will help you to make those big decisions.

There's no need to worry at your stage - enjoy the peace of not having to revise every day!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (53)
21.03%
Unconditional if firmed (20)
7.94%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.79%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (6)
2.38%
No unconditional offers (171)
67.86%

Watched Threads