When to apply for medicine at Oxbridge (2020-2021)? EU student Watch

theodorabautu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I kept searching but I couldn't find too much info. My first year of college will be 2020-2021 and I want to study medicine at Oxford or Cambridge. When can I start applying? I know that I must apply until October, but what is the starting date for sending applications to UCAS? Also, when to apply for loan? Also, besides Cambridge and Oxford, which universities are renowned for studying medicine? I was thinking about Imperial (London), Queen Mary and Glasgow. I'm a top of the class student. Since I'm not from UK I can't clearly say much about my grades. A student I guess. Thank you.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by theodorabautu)
I kept searching but I couldn't find too much info. My first year of college will be 2020-2021 and I want to study medicine at Oxford or Cambridge. When can I start applying? I know that I must apply until October, but what is the starting date for sending applications to UCAS? Also, when to apply for loan? Also, besides Cambridge and Oxford, which universities are renowned for studying medicine? I was thinking about Imperial (London), Queen Mary and Glasgow. I'm a top of the class student. Since I'm not from UK I can't clearly say much about my grades. A student I guess. Thank you.
do you study for two years at college? you apply from september when ucas opens. You can able for a loan from the april before you start but you won't get a loan for living costs. Prestige isn't really relevant to be a doctor in the UK.
theodorabautu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
do you study for two years at college? you apply from september when ucas opens. You can able for a loan from the april before you start but you won't get a loan for living costs. Prestige isn't really relevant to be a doctor in the UK.
No. So I'm from Romania and I'm currently in the 11th grade (of 12 grades) and my first year of college will be 2020-2021. And I don't know when do the UCAS applications open.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. So I'm from Romania and I'm currently in the 11th grade (of 12 grades) and my first year of college will be 2020-2021. And I don't know when do the UCAS applications open.
According to UCAS https://www.ucas.com/advisers/managi...tion-deadlines for 2019 entry, it opened on 22nd May 2018.

So assume that the application window will open in May 2019 so you can start applying, and you must have applied before 15th October 2019 (for any medical school, not just Oxbridge). In September you can send in your application.

Note that you can only apply to either Oxford or Cambridge not both. All med schools in the UK are treated the same after graduation. There are no top or bottom, good or bad ones.

22 May 2018
UCAS Undergraduate Apply opens for 2019 entry.

5 September 2018
Applicants can pay and send their applications to UCAS, and unis and colleges can start making decisions on applications.

15 October 2018
Applications for Oxford, Cambridge or most courses in medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine/science should arrive at UCAS by 18:00 (UK time). The reference needs to be completed before the application can be sent to us.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bear in mind that if the UK leaves the EU, you will be counted as an international student. This will mean that a) you will be subject to international competition ratios, which are generally 60-100 to 1 (although in 2012 it was 255 to 1!) and b) subject to international fees, which for for Oxford is around £230,000 and for Cambridge is pushing £400,000, both of which might actually increase post-Brexit. There would be extremely little chance of getting a scholarship unless you could get one from your home country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.13%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.72%
No, but I want to start (185)
35.92%
No, I am unable to (119)
23.11%
No, I chose not to (150)
29.13%