Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Title.

Is anyone with a opinion a historian? Can I use answers from Quora and claim the anonymous geezers are historians?

How do I find and identify historians?

It's probably a stupid question but it's been bugging me a lot, because if I can't find any I'm gona have to resort to plagiarism for my coursework...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i moved your thread to history study help.

maybe you can explain a bit more on what you're studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joleee)
    i moved your thread to history study help.

maybe you can explain a bit more on what you're studying?
    Thanks mate.

I'm looking for Vietnam historians that talk about the Media, Military, Government and Anti-war protests being the reasons for losing the Vietnam war.
    • Answer Heroes

Answer Heroes
    (Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
    Title.

Is anyone with a opinion a historian? Can I use answers from Quora and claim the anonymous geezers are historians?

How do I find and identify historians?

It's probably a stupid question but it's been bugging me a lot, because if I can't find any I'm gona have to resort to plagiarism for my coursework...
    Wouldnt you use the library or do some research on the internet amongst other things.

Historians might be academics or have written books?

Not sure why you feel compelled to cheat. Just do some research and use some initiative like everyone else. Imo your plagiarism will be easily identified and lack any credibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Wouldnt you use the library or do some research on the internet amongst other things.

Historians might be academics or have written books?

Not sure why you feel compelled to cheat. Just do some research and use some initiative like everyone else. Imo your plagiarism will be easily identified and lack any credibility.
    I've never been good at writing essays - besides, my local library is very lacking in books related to my coursework's topic of interest. The internet also isn't very helpful, I've done so much researching the past week trying to understand wth a historian is and to find the historians that have the views i want to use in my argument. The amount of times i wanted to pull my own hair out is unbelievable (╯°□°)╯︵( .o.)

I still don't get wtf a historian is and never bothered looking into them since they were never required in all the essays i wrote in the past T^T
    • Answer Heroes

Answer Heroes
    (Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
    I've never been good at writing essays - besides, my local library is very lacking in books related to my coursework's topic of interest. The internet also isn't very helpful, I've done so much researching the past week trying to understand wth a historian is and to find the historians that have the views i want to use in my argument. The amount of times i wanted to pull my own hair out is unbelievable (╯°□°)╯︵( .o.)

I still don't get wtf a historian is and never bothered looking into them since they were never required in all the essays i wrote in the past T^T
    Then looks like you are a bit stuffed.

Normally they discuss what history is at the beginning of any text books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historian

Point is other people have the same challenge and they use the library plus the internet and read books.

If you cant find the book you want then look on Amazon or abe books and buy 2nd hand. Presumably you picked the subject area, so its your responsibility.

If its about Vietnam, then presumably plenty of people from different countries ave written about it? Surely there would be academics, diplomats and people who served in the war?

Unfortunately History involves doing some research and sometimes using google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Then looks like you are a bit stuffed.

Normally they discuss what history is at the beginning of any text books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historian

Point is other people have the same challenge and they use the library plus the internet and read books.

If you cant find the book you want then look on Amazon or abe books and buy 2nd hand. Presumably you picked the subject area, so its your responsibility.

If its about Vietnam, then presumably plenty of people from different countries ave written about it? Surely there would be academics, diplomats and people who served in the war?

Unfortunately History involves doing some research and sometimes using google.
    Thanks, I'll see what I can do in the mean time with this historiography stuff that I need. *sighs dejectedly*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 12, 2019

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.