Turn on thread page Beta

Tiffin boys sixth form external watch

ReputationRep:
    So I got two 6s, six 7s and two 8s,
    Tiffin sixth form look at my best eight subjects so they’ll be looking at my 7s and 8s however I’m rlly worried whether it won’t be enough to get the conditional offer. Can anyone give their thoughts? I’m applying to take maths chemistry and economics, I’ve got the 8 in maths however the 6 was in chemistry😬 so I don’t know if it’s possible to get in when I think many others have much higher than me.

ReputationRep:
    I can’t give Tiffin specific advice but I know in my school generally you’re not allowed to take a science at A Level (or not advised to take it) if you got below a 7. Most students in the class got 9s though.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by meriem_ait)
    Tiffin sixth form look at my best eight subjects so they’ll be looking at my 7s and 8s however I’m rlly worried whether it won’t be enough to get the conditional offer. Can anyone give their thoughts? I’m applying to take maths chemistry and economics, I’ve got the 8 in maths however the 6 was in chemistry😬 so I don’t know if it’s possible to get in when I think many others have much higher than me.
    http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/...ov%202018).pdf
    "The applicant must have a grade 7, 8 or 9 in three subjects that are to be studied in the Sixth Form."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/...ov%202018).pdf
    "The applicant must have a grade 7, 8 or 9 in three subjects that are to be studied in the Sixth Form."
    I knew you’d know! OP seems to just be asking about their GCSE profile, any thoughts on that.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ohdearstudying)
    I knew you’d know! OP seems to just be asking about their GCSE profile, any thoughts on that.
    Well they have a fundamental problem if they "only" have a 6 in a subject they want to take at A-level when a 7 is the minimum, so the rest of their profile is somewhat by-the-by.

ReputationRep:
    Well they have a fundamental problem if they "only" have a 6 in a subject they want to take at A-level when a 7 is the minimum, so the rest of their profile is somewhat by-the-by.
    To be honest grade requirements aren’t Tiffin exclusive, they are everywhere, surprised OP would even consider still doing that subject. I’ve always been advised to take A Levels in subjects (if you studied them) you got A - A**s in
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    To be honest grade requirements aren’t Tiffin exclusive, they are everywhere, surprised OP would even consider still doing that subject. I’ve always been advised to take A Levels in subjects (if you studied them) you got A - A**s in
    It can vary by school, but yes a 7 is common however not everywhere. Tiffin is very selective so it's unsurprising they also require a 7. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You see, Chemistry is actually my strongest science, you may think what but actually those predicted grades are based on my recent mocks and somehow I really messed up. I usuallly get 8s so that's why I chose it.

ReputationRep:
    It can vary by school, but yes a 7 is common however not everywhere. Tiffin is very selective so it's unsurprising they also require a 7. :yep:
    Very true
    You see, Chemistry is actually my strongest science, you may think what but actually those predicted grades are based on my recent mocks and somehow I really messed up. I usuallly get 8s so that's why I chose it.
    Unless you can get your school to raise your predicted grade or provide Tiffin’s with evidence of why this mock grade was uncharacteristic you’ll be struggling to continue with that subject. I’d say apply for another subject and find out about the plausibility of switching
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As I'm sure you are aware, Tiffin is *very* selective so don't bet the bank on expecting a place. But good luck with it :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    Very true

Unless you can get your school to raise your predicted grade or provide Tiffin’s with evidence of why this mock grade was uncharacteristic you’ll be struggling to continue with that subject. I’d say apply for another subject and find out about the plausibility of switching
    Ok thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I’ve applied with 2 9s, 4 8s, 2 7s and 2 6s. I have a similar problem because I was predicted the 6s in English and I want to do Economics, which requires a 7. I’ve put down Philosophy and Ethics instead, hoping to change it if I get a conditional though
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam_tsr)
    I’ve applied with 2 9s, 4 8s, 2 7s and 2 6s. I have a similar problem because I was predicted the 6s in English and I want to do Economics, which requires a 7. I’ve put down Philosophy and Ethics instead, hoping to change it if I get a conditional though
    Ahh I feel better that I’m not the only one! Did u change it before or after u applied

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I feel better that I’m not the only one! Did u change it before or after u applied
    I applied with Philosophy and I’m hoping to change it to Economics, if I get a conditional. Where else have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    I applied with Philosophy and I’m hoping to change it to Economics, if I get a conditional. Where else have you applied?
    I've applied for Waldegrave as well, hbu

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Waldegrave as well, hbu
    I’ve applied for the 5 Slough grammar schools and Dr Challoners in Amersham

ReputationRep:
    I’ve applied for the 5 Slough grammar schools and Dr Challoners in Amersham
    Wow! Best of luck! X

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Best of luck! X
    5 people from my school applied to Tiffin, but they’ve only requested a reference from me and another girl - hoping that means I’m being considered lol

ReputationRep:
    5 people from my school applied to Tiffin, but they’ve only requested a reference from me and another girl - hoping that means I’m being considered lol
    Hey how'd you know they requested a reference, was it from your school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aestheticfood)
    Hey how'd you know they requested a reference, was it from your school?
    Hey, yeah teacher told me

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.