The Student Room Group

Edexcel a level psychology 2019

Hey guys! Noticed there is isn't a thread for the psychology A-Level Edexcel exams for May 2019. Just a thread to help each other out with psych but also some basic chit chat. How are you guys feeling about it? What topics do you do?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Probably not helpful, I dropped that yesterday (after completing an exam in History) and switched to History, I hate the subject with a passion. Good luck, you’ll need it!
Reply 2
Original post by ohdearstudying
Probably not helpful, I dropped that yesterday (after completing an exam in History) and switched to History, I hate the subject with a passion. Good luck, you’ll need it!

Thanks! Oh damn. What made you switch if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by apk200
Thanks! Oh damn. What made you switch if you don't mind me asking?

I stuff,e heavily with sciences and maths, even basic maths I can’t stand and there’s a lot of science and a lot of maths.

Also, psychology is not only so abstract (wish - washy to be honest) it’s not respectable enough to apply competitively to Cambridge according to my school. So now I’ll be doing English Literature, History, Politics and an EPQ themed around law
Reply 4
I stuff,e heavily with sciences and maths, even basic maths I can’t stand and there’s a lot of science and a lot of maths.

Also, psychology is not only so abstract (wish - washy to be honest) it’s not respectable enough to apply competitively to Cambridge according to my school. So now I’ll be doing English Literature, History, Politics and an EPQ themed around law/

I am a student wanting to study law too. BTW I am also a Cambridge Applicant. :smile: The university recently introduced the psychology course so I don't think it's going to discredit an applicant studying psychology in any way. If anything, y13 content consists of criminal psychology where you look at criminal cases and assess the mind of criminals. I find the subject quite relevant and interesting for law but I guess it is an acquired taste.
Original post by apk200
I am a student wanting to study law too. BTW I am also a Cambridge Applicant. :smile: The university recently introduced the psychology course so I don't think it's going to discredit an applicant studying psychology in any way. If anything, y13 content consists of criminal psychology where you look at criminal cases and assess the mind of criminals. I find the subject quite relevant and interesting for law but I guess it is an acquired taste.

I respect you for doing it, but it’s wholeheartedly just so boring 😂😂
Reply 6
I respect you for doing it, but it’s wholeheartedly just so boring 😂😂

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Some of the y12 content is. But which u the best and hope you enjoy history!
Original post by apk200
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Some of the y12 content is. But which u the best and hope you enjoy history!

Thank you! And to you too
This will be the thread where we come after the exam and just moan about all the questions. I have my mock today for clinical and criminal and its going to be great:mad:
Reply 9
My lecturer decided to swap Criminal for Child, which is odd to say the least. Clinical is fine, apart from depression, because we placed more emphasis on schizophrenia. Still, it was easy and fun to learn. Child is going well, but Ainsworth's types of attachments are a bit confusing. So far, nothing that makes me hate the approach. It's better than AS and the dreaded Learning approach. It may sound weird, but I find A2 easier, maybe because we're not overloaded with approaches.
Ah I do criminal, I don’t like it though. I definitely prefer Year 12 content as it’s easier to understand than criminal and clinical
Reply 11
I actually wanted to do Criminal, since I'm into that kind of thing, but Child isn't that bad. AS content, although easier, was far too much. I ended up focusing on Social and Cognitive, skipped Biological, since I memorised it Day 1 and Learning was just like reading a scientific journal in a language I don't know. Regardless, AS was fun, same with this year.
Original post by Stebe
I actually wanted to do Criminal, since I'm into that kind of thing, but Child isn't that bad. AS content, although easier, was far too much. I ended up focusing on Social and Cognitive, skipped Biological, since I memorised it Day 1 and Learning was just like reading a scientific journal in a language I don't know. Regardless, AS was fun, same with this year.

Yeah, im better in social and cognitive, bio and learning i have no clue
Reply 13
Original post by beccaclarex
This will be the thread where we come after the exam and just moan about all the questions. I have my mock today for clinical and criminal and its going to be great:mad:

I think it’s fitting that we study depression in clinical 😂😂. I’ve self diagnosed myself at this point
Original post by apk200
I think it’s fitting that we study depression in clinical 😂😂. I’ve self diagnosed myself at this point

Hahahah
Reply 15
Original post by apk200

That's why me lecturer mentioned this at the intro to Clinical:
"DON'T SELF-DIAGNOSE YOURSELF AFTER YOU'RE DONE WITH CLINICAL"
😂
Reply 16
Original post by Stebe
That's why me lecturer mentioned this at the intro to Clinical:
"DON'T SELF-DIAGNOSE YOURSELF AFTER YOU'RE DONE WITH CLINICAL"
😂

Looooooooool. I’ve diagnosed half my sixth form at this point
Original post by apk200
Hey guys! Noticed there is isn't a thread for the psychology A-Level Edexcel exams for May 2019. Just a thread to help each other out with psych but also some basic chit chat. How are you guys feeling about it? What topics do you do?

is this for the 2015 (new) Edexcel psych spec? with the 2 HUGE blue Christine Brain textbooks? because honestly I cant seem to find any resources or discussion threads about it, and my teachers suck so any help is appreciated a lot
Original post by Stebe
My lecturer decided to swap Criminal for Child, which is odd to say the least. Clinical is fine, apart from depression, because we placed more emphasis on schizophrenia. Still, it was easy and fun to learn. Child is going well, but Ainsworth's types of attachments are a bit confusing. So far, nothing that makes me hate the approach. It's better than AS and the dreaded Learning approach. It may sound weird, but I find A2 easier, maybe because we're not overloaded with approaches.

That's an interesting mindset! And same here, my teachers selected Child because it was the 'shortest'. You can guess how the teaching quality is lol. Also, dont you get to choose from depression, anorexia nervosa and OCD? what made you choose depression? Did you have a choice?
Original post by h20head
is this for the 2015 (new) Edexcel psych spec? with the 2 HUGE blue Christine Brain textbooks? because honestly I cant seem to find any resources or discussion threads about it, and my teachers suck so any help is appreciated a lot

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest