unemployed for 15 months after graduation

Watch
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
it's been around 15 months since I graduated and I have been unemployed.

can someone help me, what do I do .

i graduated in computer science with 2:1.
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
show me your cv
How do i show you my CV...

and why do you want to see it ....

do you even know which career I want to pursue ?
study beats
Rep:
?
redact it and pm me.

you say you are struggling to get a grad job so i can give you pointers on your cv and you will get interviews
I am actually looking for internships .

What grad jobs did you have in mind ??
study beats
Rep:
?
you're a graduate, you shouldn't be looking at internships. you need to look for full-time jobs!
well I want to go into other fields

at the moment I was looking at digital marketing
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by study beats)
it's been around 15 months since I graduated and I have been unemployed.

can someone help me, what do I do .

i graduated in computer science with 2:1.
What sort of graduate schemes or jobs have you been applying for so far? What industry do you want to get into, and also what sort of experience do you have?
SerBronn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So show us a CV you'd send in for a digital marketing job (with all personal info redacted).
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
What sort of graduate schemes or jobs have you been applying for so far? What industry do you want to get into, and also what sort of experience do you have?
I haven't been applying to any graduate schemes .

I have been applying for internships with things like digital marketing .

I mainly want to get into the creative industry.

I don't have any professional work experience apart from the odd retail and security jobs from over 3 years ago.
SerBronn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I realise it's disheartening but people who get jobs in creative industries are able to demonstrate exceptional levels of creativity. I'd try to get an entry level job in IT. Fifteen months isn't too bad a gap. Just say you went travelling for a year.
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by SerBronn)
So show us a CV you'd send in for a digital marketing job (with all personal info redacted).
I have no experience in digital marketing , I am looking to gain some .

so on my CV you won't see any of the required core skills or related work experience .
study beats
Rep:
?
I realise it's disheartening but people who get jobs in creative industries are able to demonstrate exceptional levels of creativity. I'd try to get an entry level job in IT. Fifteen months isn't too bad a gap. Just say you went travelling for a year.
So what do you want me to do then ?
SerBronn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm just trying to suggest something realistic. You won't get hired into a creative industry job on the off-chance you might develop some useful skills. That's not how it works. The time when you might have got an internship has passed. You can keep dreaming or accept it's not going to happen.

You can demonstrate some competence and experience with computers so I'd try to use that to get a job. The experience will be useful and you can teach yourself relevant technologies. There are definitely jobs in digital marketing but you need to bring something to the table. Just setting up your own web page with various social media feeds would be a start. They all have APIs - why not learn some of them?
study beats
Rep:
?
I'm just trying to suggest something realistic. You won't get hired into a creative industry job on the off-chance you might develop some useful skills. That's not how it works. The time when you might have got an internship has passed. You can keep dreaming or accept it's not going to happen.

You can demonstrate some competence and experience with computers so I'd try to use that to get a job. The experience will be useful and you can teach yourself relevant technologies. There are definitely jobs in digital marketing but you need to bring something to the table. Just setting up your own web page with various social media feeds would be a start. They all have APIs - why not learn some of them?
why has my time to get an internship passed ?

your telling me to get into an IT job, but what sort of IT job do you want me to do and where do i look ?

why can't I get into digital marketing ? There are some internships that dont ask for experience at all.....
SerBronn
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
why has my time to get an internship passed ?

your telling me to get into an IT job, but what sort of IT job do you want me to do and where do i look ?

why can't I get into digital marketing ? There are some internships that dont ask for experience at all.....
I'm not telling you to do anything. I'm just suggesting that someone with a good degree in computer science could probably get a job in IT. What sort of job and where to look? How do I know? You're the computer guy.
DuckDodgers
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OP your time to get an internship hasn't passed at all and SerBronn is being entirely unhelpful suggesting so.

You're looking to get a job in digital marketing with no experience which means that internships and/or work experience will be a useful tool for you. Through one you will show that you have level of interest and/or experience handling communications activities and contrary to belief, it is a completely normal thing for graduates to do - so ordinary in fact that it boggles my mind to hear it suggested otherwise.

My suggestion is for you to apply for internships but I also suggest researching and contacting companies in your local area to ask about work experience. That will show you have a strong interest in your chosen career and is unfortunately something of a necessity following your lengthy period of unemployment. If you can't do that then try freelance writing to build a portfolio so you can at least show off your ability to communicate effectively. I suggest work experience in their office though.

And your background in computer science should be used to show that you're up-to-date with the digital industry - another key aspect of the role.

Good luck.

P.S. workinstartups.com is a useful website if you're anywhere near London.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 1 year ago
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I haven't been applying to any graduate schemes .

I have been applying for internships with things like digital marketing .

I mainly want to get into the creative industry.

I don't have any professional work experience apart from the odd retail and security jobs from over 3 years ago.
Creative industry is oversaturated, and since you dont have any sort of transferrable experience, or a portfolio, and have been out of work for awhile it's going to be much harder to break into it.

For the past 15months since you graduated have you been researching and learning about the industry? You've mentioned that you've tried applying for digital marketing, so have you taught yourself digital marketing? If not you could start here, you'll gain a certificate at the end which is useful. You can also try out free courses on MOOCs, youtube tutorial and learn from books. It's very crucial to have commercial awareness (it's a MUST if you want to secure a job in any sector), you can read an example of why it's important to have it from a marketing manager.

I agree with SerBronn response and would suggest you start in the industry you have the skills in first, and try a creative role within it. Since you have a CS degree I'll assume you may have some slight knowledge of web development or design. You can search for and start in roles in web development/design for example this one, as well as starting building a portfolio so you can easily break into other jobs you're interested in. There are many creative jobs in the IT sector, so I'd recommend searching. Even if its not the industry you want to work in, its a good stepping stone.

Internships within the creative industry are quite limited, so I'd recommend you look for traineeship instead.
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
Creative industry is oversaturated, and since you dont have any sort of transferrable experience, or a portfolio, and have been out of work for awhile it's going to be much harder to break into it.

For the past 15months since you graduated have you been researching and learning about the industry? You've mentioned that you've tried applying for digital marketing, so have you taught yourself digital marketing? If not you could start here, you'll gain a certificate at the end which is useful. You can also try out free courses on MOOCs, youtube tutorial and learn from books. It's very crucial to have commercial awareness (it's a MUST if you want to secure a job in any sector), you can read an example of why it's important to have it from a marketing manager.

I agree with SerBronn response and would suggest you start in the industry you have the skills in first, and try a creative role within it. Since you have a CS degree I'll assume you may have some slight knowledge of web development or design. You can search for and start in roles in web development/design for example this one, as well as starting building a portfolio so you can easily break into other jobs you're interested in. There are many creative jobs in the IT sector, so I'd recommend searching. Even if its not the industry you want to work in, its a good stepping stone.

Internships within the creative industry are quite limited, so I'd recommend you look for traineeship instead.
Thanks for your post

thanks for providing me that link for that digital marketing course, do you know how I present the certificate on my CV when I get it?

also you have said that I should do web development, however I don't really want a programming job, my skills with html, css and JavaScript are not so good and I have forgotten a lot of programming basics too.

as for other creative jobs.....I wanted to get into UX design, however I have no portfolio or any skills or experience.

perhaps you could let me know what else is there for me ?

this is why I chose digital marketing, it's a creative tech career that I could possibly get into.
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for your post

thanks for providing me that link for that digital marketing course, do you know how I present the certificate on my CV when I get it?

also you have said that I should do web development, however I don't really want a programming job, my skills with html, css and JavaScript are not so good and I have forgotten a lot of programming basics too.

as for other creative jobs.....I wanted to get into UX design, however I have no portfolio or any skills or experience.

perhaps you could let me know what else is there for me ?

this is why I chose digital marketing, it's a creative tech career that I could possibly get into.
Create a section for achievement, and list it. You can easily learn it again using codeacademy, udemy or any other online platform. Since you have no experience, skill or portfolio it's more important for you to self teach yourself a few of those skills, and build a portfolio whilst you're looking for a job. In the mean time you can appy for a part time job to support yourself. You could even call up any graphic design or creative businesses near you, and ask if they have any part time jobs available.

Here is a guide from a self taught UX designer
study beats
Rep:
?
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
OP your time to get an internship hasn't passed at all and SerBronn is being entirely unhelpful suggesting so.

You're looking to get a job in digital marketing with no experience which means that internships and/or work experience will be a useful tool for you. Through one you will show that you have level of interest and/or experience handling communications activities and contrary to belief, it is a completely normal thing for graduates to do - so ordinary in fact that it boggles my mind to hear it suggested otherwise.

My suggestion is for you to apply for internships but I also suggest researching and contacting companies in your local area to ask about work experience. That will show you have a strong interest in your chosen career and is unfortunately something of a necessity following your lengthy period of unemployment. If you can't do that then try freelance writing to build a portfolio so you can at least show off your ability to communicate effectively. I suggest work experience in their office though.

And your background in computer science should be used to show that you're up-to-date with the digital industry - another key aspect of the role.

Good luck.

P.S. workinstartups.com is a useful website if you're anywhere near London.
How do i find companies to ask for work experience ?
username4316350
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you're a graduate, you shouldn't be looking at internships. you need to look for full-time jobs!
nah we got 45 years on us to do full time jobs. imo finding grad jobs is the exact opposite to what u should do. fuk getting on the corporate ladder and all that bs. as a 22 y/o spend next 3-8 years travelling, working abroad do internships to try chit out, various ftc jobs, volunteer, start a band, put 16 hours a day on a business, learn a new language, learn literally anything, fail, fuk it all up, fuk 5 years up and come out the end with war wounds and broken hearts. anything but getting on the corporate ladder at 22 and spend next 45 coasting
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do i find companies to ask for work experience ?
Open google maps, and check the companies near you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (74)
15.13%
Uncertainty around my education (81)
16.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.2%
Isolating with family (31)
6.34%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.29%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.18%
Loneliness (47)
9.61%
Financial worries (18)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
10.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.95%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (49)
10.02%

Watched Threads