The Student Room Group

14 year old 'DATING' VS 14 year old 'MARRIED'?

To be honest, what's the difference between 'dating' and 'being married'?

Why isn't there a law that doesn't allow dating under the age of 16 the same way as Marriage isn't legal under the age of 16?

The only difference between them two is that one is going from one person to another while the other one is committed to one person.

So when you hear 12.. 13 .. 14 year old's or younger are dating and losing their V no one would really bat an eye or create 'campaigns or raise awarness about it' COMPARED to when 12.. 13 ..year olds get married.. people tend to get outrageous by that?
Why's that?

I'm 15.. been married *Islamically* not legally yet since i was 14 and half.

Half of my friends have been dating since they were 12 and some of them have had abortions and 1 of my classmates is pregnant at the moment..

But when my friends found out that I got married last summer.. they were quite shocked about it.. I mean I tried explaining to them that me being in a comitted relationship isn't much different than yours..
Original post by Anonymous
Why isn't there a law that doesn't allow dating under the age of 16 the same way as Marriage isn't legal under the age of 16?

How are you planning on enforcing this law that under 16’s cannot date? Unlike marriage, it’s not that easy to track. Are you just going to go up to every 14 year old and ask if they’re dating?
Reply 2
Your friends sound gross and disgusting.

Also the difference is the kind of "marriage" you're talking about are paedophilic ones. Not child married to a child. But an adult married to a child, which is rape & paedophilia

And children shouldn't get married to children because they aren't fully developed yet to make that kind of decision.
Dating =/= having sex. They are not one and the same, they do not always go hand in hand. I doubt very much that your claims about friends having abortions/being pregnant already are completely true.

The main reason that marriage is illegal under the age of 16- and even then, in the UK you need parental permission to legally marry between the ages of 16-18, is because biologically and psychologically, you are not prepared for marriage (and all it entails) at that young an age.
The difference is, dating can be very innocent at that age. It's normal.
Marriage is a massive step that should only be made by adults.
At 14, you're really too young to know you want to get married and spend the rest of your life with someone with such limited life experience and maturity. What age is your husband may I ask? How did you actually get "married"?
Reply 5
Original post by TommyDH
Your friends sound gross and disgusting.

Also the difference is the kind of "marriage" you're talking about are paedophilic ones. Not child married to a child. But an adult married to a child, which is rape & paedophilia

And children shouldn't get married to children because they aren't fully developed yet to make that kind of decision.

When you say children.. you're referring to the one's that are below 12 or haven't hit puberty yet.

Once you've hit puberty you really can't be considered as a child to be fair..

I understand older adults are more life experienced than young adults but when you hear a 14 year old is dating a 24 year old for instance.. no one would argue about it cos apparently there's no law that's against it but when they do get married it's all of a sudden labelled as ' rape & paedophilia '.. What's the difference.

Apparently you're fully developed when you date but when you want to tie the knot you're suddenly not fully developed.. like this seriously sounds stupid..

I know people would say oh dating allows you to get to know the person before you make that decision but I don't think there's anything wrong with getting to know the person once you've gotten married.. my family members have done it.. and none of them have gotten a divorce thank god.. and their marriage went smoothly but for some people it may have not worked out for them and for some it has.
Reply 6
Original post by SpangleMagnet
Dating =/= having sex. They are not one and the same, they do not always go hand in hand. I doubt very much that your claims about friends having abortions/being pregnant already are completely true.

The main reason that marriage is illegal under the age of 16- and even then, in the UK you need parental permission to legally marry between the ages of 16-18, is because biologically and psychologically, you are not prepared for marriage (and all it entails) at that young an age.

You doubt my claims aren't true? Do you personally know my friends?
Nope actually dating = having sex!
Teenage pregnancies are actually quite common in the UK..
https://www.fpa.org.uk/news/uk-has-highest-teenage-birth-rates-western-europe

Yep, UK HAS HIGHEST TEENAGE BIRTH RATES IN WESTERN EUROPE.

So teenage pregnancies are apparently fine cos there's no law that's against it but teenage marriages seem to be a problem .. funny.

So biologically and psychologically, you are not prepared for marriage (and all it entails) at that young an age.. but YOU ARE biologically and psychologically prepared for DATING! Nonsense!
dating = having sex! We all know it and have seen it so you can't convince me otherwise.
Reply 7
When you say children.. you're referring to the one's that are below 12 or haven't hit puberty yet.

Is that you, Gary Glitter?

What a disgusting paedo you are. Someone should report you to the police before you offend.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TommyDH
Is that you, Gary Glitter?

What a disgusting paedo you are. Someone should report you to the police before you offend.

What?
Reply 9
It's funny how we live in a world where people think once you've gotten married in your teenage years it would affect your education and careers but the same people would be dating at the same age but miraculously it wouldn't affect their education and careers.. NONSENSE!

That's not at all correct. Legally, a child is anyone under the age of 18. Psychologically and arguably, physiologically, a child and adolescent are those under the age of 16. Puberty has nothing to do with it; some people start puberty as young as 7 or 8 years old.

I understand older adults are more life experienced than young adults but when you hear a 14 year old is dating a 24 year old for instance.. no one would argue about it cos apparently there's no law that's against it but when they do get married it's all of a sudden labelled as ' rape & paedophilia '.. What's the difference.

Um... there is a law against a 14 year old dating a 24 year old, and people would argue about it.

Apparently you're fully developed when you date but when you want to tie the knot you're suddenly not fully developed.. like this seriously sounds stupid.

This has nothing to do with being developed or not. The only person who has brought that up is you.
Dating is just getting to know each other, and maybe having sex, getting married is a commitment to love each other for a very long time. They're not at all the same. marrying young is just stupid and messed up
Dating offers you the chance to explore and learn before you make the serious commitment of marriage. You can move in with someone and share different aspects of your life to test out what marriage would be like with that person. It's not, however, the same as being married.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending