The Student Room Group

GCSE Options Help

We get three options so I’ve narrowed it down to two of History Geography and German plus one of Media or Business.I really can’t decide so help would really be appreciated and I don’t mean to be rude but I’m really looking for some advice more helpful then just “pick what you like” as I enjoy all these subjects or at least I like the look of them from the information we’ve been given.For reference,we already have to do Spanish so would German as well be too much?
You have a good choice of options there.

I'll start with the last one: Media Studies or Business. This one depends on whether you're looking for a more vocational subject like Business, or a more humanities one like Media Studies. Which one will be most useful to you? In the end, though, you could do further studies in either without having taken the subject at GCSE.

The first choice is trickier: if you drop German now, you would be able to take it again at Uni, but not at A-level. Generally speaking, if Geography goes now, it would be hard to pick it up later. History is the odd-one-out here - it might be possible to do it at A-level without a GCSE first.

You've got Spanish already, and I don't think German would be too hard as well. Have you done well in Year 9 German?

Believe me, you're not closing too many doors with this choice, but I would think carefully about dropping Geography because that might be hardest to pick up again should you wish to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest