The Student Room Group

Sheffield Hallam- Education, Psychology and Counselling

Just wondered if anyone on this course could let me know what it's like, have you had good/bad experiences, would you recommend it?
I used know someone who did this exact course at Hallam that graduated in 2016.

They seemed to find it all right.

It's not BPS accredited afaik, which given the average career aspirations of people who say anything 'psychology' may be deemed a bit limiting. The Psychology total year cohort for all variants at Hallam is very substantial 280 people. Based at the so called collegiate (crescent) 'campus' which I would recommend you visit to see what you make of it.
Hi @flowerpower33

I can speak to the course leader for you and find a student who can give you a review of the course!

I'll be in touch soon,
Bridget
Ooo yes please that would be fantastic!:smile: would you also be able to ask about a reading list, and any books of which I could read prior to starting, thank you!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by flowerpower33
Ooo yes please that would be fantastic!:smile: would you also be able to ask about a reading list, and any books of which I could read prior to starting, thank you!

Yes I can ask this too!

Bridget
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Yes I can ask this too!

Bridget

Thanks so much Bridget!
Original post by flowerpower33

Hi @flowerpower33

Sorry for the delayed reply!

Here is a review by one of our students, Ellie Smith who is on the course:

Course

Education Studies with Psychology and Counselling

Why did you choose to study your current course?

I chose this combined honours course because it is unique and stood out to me. I was interested in teaching and the chance to combine education with my interest in psychology was great. I was thinking that psychology linked with counselling would be good because I could see the different perspectives and get in depth knowledge. (The course has gone above and beyond my expectations)

Why did you choose to study at Sheffield Hallam?

I come from a small town and thought it would be good to experience living in a larger city. I chose Sheffield because when I looked round I loved the atmosphere, different activities and the opportunities the place had to offer.

What has your experience been like at Sheffield Hallam so far?

Whilst moving to a city was a big adjustment for me at the start, I soon managed to settle in due to the support that was on offer. I have made great friends throughout my time on the course and have had great advice from careers centre and my lecturers. I feel that I have completely grown in confidence as a person and will really miss the university experience once it is over.

Is the course and experience living up to your expectations?

Yes, I have enjoyed every single one of my placements and they have allowed me to gain different insight and put what I have learnt in seminars and lectures into practice. This has helped prepare me for the world of work. The course has also helped me prepare for further training and feel competent in different situations. The modules themselves have been particularly interesting.

Tell us a bit about your placement: what are you doing?

My first year placement was in a primary school, I was able to work in different classes and scenarios. I was glad to be in a school due to my interest in perusing teaching. My second year placement was a different primary school and I could then compare and contrast the two experiences and see what techniques and challenges different schools face. I felt that I could really see my education modules in practice whilst on these placements as I was thinking more about the school policies and interventions that are put in place. The reflective modules each year have allowed me to track and see my progress and reflect on what I have learnt throughout the course. This reflection has been significant in counselling scenarios and has also helped me to express my understanding and self-awareness in interviews. My third year placement was eye opening as I was fortunate enough to travel to Rotherham and work with social works and the early help team at Rotherham council this opportunity meant I could work with different families, attend important strategy meetings and get an insight into what it was like to work in social work. This placement also needed me to work alongside multi-disciplinary teams and communicate with teachers in schools. Therefore, I got to witness different perspectives and see plans in actions, resulting in me enhancing my own skills.

How well did you course prepare you for placement?

My course prepared me for placement as they did lectures every year that prepared us to deal with different situations and helped us get in the mind-set for placement.

What are you enjoying most about the placement?

I enjoyed my placements as they opened up opportunities with me I worked alongside other professionals and could get opinions and views of them. I was able to witness different lessons and innovative. I also got to liaise with people in different settings and on school placements I got to help with school trips.

What are you aiming for and what are your future plans?

My future aims include to now use my degree to do a PGCE in primary teaching. I would then eventually like to use what I have learnt in psychology and counselling and peruse extra training in psychology.

Do you have any advice for other students thinking about going on placement?

Make sure you are prepared by doing the following…
Contact the placement early
If they ask you to go in beforehand, go in and introduce yourself
You are likely to feel nervous on the first day make sure you have breakfast and turn up with a positive mind-set and smile
Persevere! If at first you are not sure or feel apprehensive bear with it and see how you go

I've sent you a PM about a reading list too.

Thanks
Bridget

Quick Reply

Latest