Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone!

I recently completed a degree in Mathematics and after few months I've stumbled upon an apprenticeship scheme - not my ideal choice. However, I have to appreciate its better than nothing - especially with so many graduates available in the market.

Anyway, as its an apprenticeship scheme I'm obligated to study towards a qualification. The initial job post stated that i'd be working towards AAT Level 3 qualification. However, I feel as if this is a set back and was hoping to jump on to ACCA right away but the apprenticeship provider feel it'll be more beneficial if I start by completing the AAT level 3.

Recently, they've given me the option to decide whether I'd feel comfortable doing level 3 or 4. I have some background knowledge in accounting - I have a A-level qualification in Accountancy. Alongside, if I complete AAT level 4, I'm exempt from some exams should I decide to take on ACCA/CIMA/ACA.

So, shall I do AAT level 3 or level 4 ? ( I don't want to be wasting my time)

( excuse any grammatical errors and typos)
scorpion95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you have been told that you can skip level 2 AAT that is good as it is not always the case that you having a maths or finance diploma/degree etc you can skip a level as there will be units which will need to be completed. I would say if they are telling you to start at level 3 then do it, it is only just a normal school year so start in september finish in june. I would advise starting at level 3 if they have said your competent enough as level 3 and 4 will be 2 years so if you want to get the MAAT you need to be able to show that you have worked in a financial job role for 2 years. Get your level 3 and 4 done then go from there as having the AAT qualification puts you on a better standing in getting a job over someone with a finance/maths certificate/diploma/degree etc as it is more recognised by businesses. To be honest your A level accountancy qualification isn't really worth much, it is a good starting point but not enough to get a finance job alone and to do ACCA/CIMA you really need level 4 AAT minimum to be able to possibly be exempt from some of the units. If they are paying for you to do the AAT course just go with it, it not costing you any money and makes you look better to employers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise