The Student Room Group

I really need help choosing

I'm in Y11 and I have to choose my A levels this term. I am planning on doing Veterinary Studies at Uni, so currently I'm planning on doing biology and chemistry. I don't know if I should do history because I heard it's really hard, but I love the subject. I was wondering if I should do Psychology. The other options are maths and physics, but I don't enjoy them. My teacher thinks I will be good at English Lit, but I don't know, I think it will be really challenging.

I would really appreciate the help
I've just finished A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry and History and am currently on a gap year working in a lab! Honestly, if you enjoy History the A-Level will be much easier and I found I looked forward to revising for it, as it's so interesting. Also you demonstrate good essay writing skills which can get lost when doing science subjects. I know people that chose to do maths/physics because they felt they had to but didn't enjoy the subject, on the whole they tended to drop out or get really stressed because they were having to put lots of time into something they didn't find fun. If you do what you enjoy, you'll have a much better A-Level experience!
I’m doing both History and English Lit. at A-Level, and coming into it I thought I’d do history all the way through to university, and drop English after a day or too.

However so far, I’ve enjoyed English a lot more, history has just been learning loads of facts and statistics (and I mean loads), whereas English has been a lot more stimulating. A lot of people complain about extra reading for English but if you do like 2/3 chapters a night you can really power through books without putting much effort to it.

It’s really up to you though, both won’t really count towards Veterinary, at least as much as science.
Good to see that you've chosen Biol and Chem; you'll need them for Vet Sci.

As for the third A-level, it's really up to you. Choose what you enjoy, and what you're good at. Although Maths or Phys would be a good complement for the other sciences, a subject like History or Eng Lit would be an excellent contrast.

Go with your heart, and enjoy your Sixth Form studies.
Hi Andy :smile:

Choosing your A Levels is a very important moment in your academic career, so it is important to really think it through.

Firstly, you will pretty much always thrive in a subject you actually enjoy, time goes quicker and you will probably take more in. This is always a benefit, we are in education for a fairly long time, so you may as well study something you have a passion for.

Perhaps on the other hand to that, if you know you will need a particular subject to get into university or for a career later in life, then there is no way about it, you will have to pick it. I would suggest putting in some research into the univeristies you want to go to and the subjects you would like to study there. Keeping in mind that not all universities will have the same entry requirements for the same course.

I hope you find this information useful, if you have any further questions, feel free to reply to us or drop us a message!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Ste :hat:
There's not much I can add to the conversation except to say that I am sure there is a list somewhere (possibly even on this website!) that lists all the required/recommended A-Level subjects for different University courses. Ultimately, going with what's right for you is the best choice but it might be worth a look.

Quick Reply

Latest