The Student Room Group

Producing a portfolio for Film Production University interview

Hello all,

I will be going to my first interview in a couple weeks and was wondering how I would present the things I have made to the interviewer, I have a Youtube channel which is mainly for my hobby of editing and some of the production I made in my first year of College (I have less actually filmed footage than a lot of my class because of what I chose to do during the sections) i.e an informative piece on Doctor Who or a admittedly failed attempt at a Stop Motion video. Most of the class is going in with two years of work as they had began as level 2 when I went straight to Level 3 of the course once I left school. Any help would be appreciated.

Also as a slight side note, how would the Universitys be with me including other people's work that they asked me to edit? The people I did it for are being quite rude about it saying that I should make my own version of the short and act like they gave me the footage but I do not have the time or will to do anything like that, especially when it would mean revoking half my credit.

Thank you once again for any help, you may be able to tell that I am slightly stressed but I think I got the point across... maybe...
Reply 1
Hi, have you been to any interviews yet? I am also preparing for my interviews for film production!😊
Reply 2
im applying for film too, and quite a few unis have on their website what they want to see in a portfolio so maube give that a look :smile:
Your showreel should be short and include what you think is your best work. Ideally with captions/intro slides explaining what the brief was (if there was one) and what role you played in producing the clip (eg if you edited a clip then say that, if you worked the camera, directed, wrote the script etc etc)
Original post by hmscott
Hi, have you been to any interviews yet? I am also preparing for my interviews for film production!😊

I have not, my interviews don't start till early next month but I'm already stressing 😅
Original post by PQ
Your showreel should be short and include what you think is your best work. Ideally with captions/intro slides explaining what the brief was (if there was one) and what role you played in producing the clip (eg if you edited a clip then say that, if you worked the camera, directed, wrote the script etc etc)

Thanks for this! The mentioning of captions etc has.confirmed to me that I can use them - should be able to show some of my personal favourite pieces of editing I've done from my YT channel this way.
Original post by HourGlassGalaxy
Thanks for this! The mentioning of captions etc has.confirmed to me that I can use them - should be able to show some of my personal favourite pieces of editing I've done from my YT channel this way.

Original post by n1cole
im applying for film too, and quite a few unis have on their website what they want to see in a portfolio so maube give that a look :smile:

Ah good, I've had a look at some but a few are rather unhelpful 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending