Reremac
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey BU peeps ,

I recently got an offer for Film Production at AUB and am it's certainly my first choice as I know with AUB being connected to the main BU campus they'll be lots of clubs I can be involved in. I looked on the BU website to find there's a jazz band, orchestra and multiple choirs.

I wanted to ask, from a student perspective, what's music like at BU? What is the standard of the groups? Do students start their own smaller groups?

I'm particularly interested in finding Acapella groups or barbershops groups to join, wondering if there are many of these about?

Thanks so much!!
2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I've just graduated from BU and had violin lessons, played in the orchestra and string orchestra and sang in the contemporary choir (now called the musical theatre choir) there!

In terms of coming from AUB, plenty of AUB students are involved in the music department so nothing to worry about there! There are also a lot of non-students who attend which gives a lovely community feel.

The main ensembles are:
Orchestra
Big band
String orchestra
Main choir
Chamber choir
Musical theatre choir
There is a soul choir but I think it is separate to the music department?

Most ensembles require you to be approximately grade 5 standard but they are very lenient.

BU offer music lessons and sometimes music theory lessons if there is demand of it. It's worth mentioning the major and minor music scholarships. Major requires grade 8 in your instrument and you get either 1 hour lesson per week or 1/2 hour lesson and the remaining money. Minor requires requires grade 7 (maybe 6 but I'm not certain) in your instrument and you get 1 hour lesson per week.

There are practice rooms with pianos etc that you can use. I found living in student village accommodation helpful as I only had to travel metres to practice and get to rehearsals.

What instrument do you play? Hope I helped! 🙂
Reremac
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi There, thanks so much for your reply!!
I'm Grade 8 on trombone, and I sing for fun, and plan to join all of these groups!
Do students tend to set up their own smaller groups as well? Just as acapella groups/barbershop quartets/jazz combos?

Also, is the BU music scolarship open to AUB students do you know? I read up about it and it said you need Grade 8 theory, and regretably I have no theory

Awesome to hear there are practise rooms, I make use of them all the time in school!!
Thanks,
Mercer
2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi!

I think some students set up their own groups. If you wanted to set one up your own group I'm sure there would be other students willing to join you.

As far as I know the scholarship is open to AUB as well but I'm not entirely certain. I'm not sure about grade 8 theory. It's probably best to email the music department and enquire.

Hope you enjoy your time at AUB. I'm sure the music department will be desperate to recruit you!

Hannah

(Original post by Reremac)Hi There, thanks so much for your reply!!
I'm Grade 8 on trombone, and I sing for fun, and plan to join all of these groups!
Do students tend to set up their own smaller groups as well? Just as acapella groups/barbershop quartets/jazz combos?

Also, is the BU music scolarship open to AUB students do you know? I read up about it and it said you need Grade 8 theory, and regretably I have no theory

Awesome to hear there are practise rooms, I make use of them all the time in school!!
Thanks,
Mercer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads