Turn on thread page Beta

Oliver Twist did not need any more food, claim doctors watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The Telegraph, 17 December 2008

Dickens was trying to get laws passed, so he exaggerated workhouse conditions. The diet might not have included 5 a day, as recommended by today's nutritionists, however it was adequate by Victorian standards.

ReputationRep:
    it is rather an old story tho' ?

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by costa888)
    The Telegraph, 17 December 2008

Dickens was trying to get laws passed, so he exaggerated workhouse conditions. The diet might not have included 5 a day, as recommended by today's nutritionists, however it was adequate by Victorian standards.
    The Poor Law Commissioners were an incredibly efficient bureaucracy that would put the DWP to shame. I am sure what they prescribed as the diet for workhouse inmates would have been a nutritious filling balanced diet.

The question is, did the workhouse inmates receive it?

Or somewhere between the parish ratepayers paying their rates, and the food ladle in the Workhouse refectory, did the money or the ingredients stick to the fingers of others?

ReputationRep:
    ‘The question is did the inmates receive it’?

This is exactly what happened in the care system of the earlier to middle of th 20th century.
    Marks&Spencers were one of the biggest benefactors of the Catholic Church run orphanages in Scotland.
    Excess food would be delivered to the children’s homes on a daily basis.
    We (the inmates) never saw it. It was used to feed the priests and nuns and what was left was stolen by the lay workers in the homes.

Trust me, grass does not taste nice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm after info on Toxteth Workhouse if anyone on here would have tips on where to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I'm after info on Toxteth Workhouse if anyone on here would have tips on where to start.
    Will the Public Library have records?

ReputationRep:
    www.workhouses.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Will the Public Library have records?
    I am in touch with someone there via email and they reckon they only have groundplans and that sort of stuff. I need to go in really, just been so busy with teaching I haven't had chance to get into Liverpool!

One of my ancestors died there (from what I can tell he went in there because of poor health), and I'd like to try and find out more of his circumstances, yknow.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  BACA61DA-3412-4EB7-BFAA-7471D2489C1A.png
Views: 4
Size:  81.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Name:  BACA61DA-3412-4EB7-BFAA-7471D2489C1A.png
Views: 4
Size:  81.1 KB
    I will be all over that tomorrow, thanks, Seamus!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I will be all over that tomorrow, thanks, Seamus!
    I used a book called
    Children’s Homes. A History of Institutional Care For Britain’s Young by Peter Higgenbotham
    to gather research for my book. There is stuff in there on Workhouses and the Poor Law and how it operated.

ReputationRep:
    I used a book called
    Children’s Homes. A History of Institutional Care For Britain’s Young by Peter Higgenbotham
    to gather research for my book. There is stuff in there on Workhouses and the Poor Law and how it operated.
    Excellent, cheers (sorry for derailing, OP!).

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.