aseel_sj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I understand that completing the UPCSE program in UCL is challenging, however, I was wondering if it would be a good choice to go for it and then study medicine?

(keep in mind I have American qualifications and not British ones)
Wtung
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by aseel_sj)
I understand that completing the UPCSE program in UCL is challenging, however, I was wondering if it would be a good choice to go for it and then study medicine?

(keep in mind I have American qualifications and not British ones)
Did you end up going? How was the workload and is it very difficult?
aseel_sj
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Wtung)
Did you end up going? How was the workload and is it very difficult?
Hi, sorry for the late reply!

I did end up going to UPC.

The workload was fine, although I would say to definitely learn how to time manage, it'll help you a lot if you know how to do it properly. However, I had higher hopes for the program, for what they would teach us and how they would aid us into getting into universities. The support from the staff wasn't horrible per say but could've been better!

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Wtung
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, sorry for the late reply!

I did end up going to UPC.

The workload was fine, although I would say to definitely learn how to time manage, it'll help you a lot if you know how to do it properly. However, I had higher hopes for the program, for what they would teach us and how they would aid us into getting into universities. The support from the staff wasn't horrible per say but could've been better!

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Thanks for the reply! Hope you don't mind me asking, but did you end up progressing to UCL? From what I've heard, it isn't uncommon for students to not meet their offers, especially for those doing biology and chemistry together
aseel_sj
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Wtung)
Thanks for the reply! Hope you don't mind me asking, but did you end up progressing to UCL? From what I've heard, it isn't uncommon for students to not meet their offers, especially for those doing biology and chemistry together
Once again I apologize for the late reply!

For medicine, it is expected and recommended for you to take a gap year after you finish the UPC course; that is to study for the BMAT (an admissions exam) and do voluntary work as medicine is very competitive to get into especially as an international student. However, if you are asking if I meet the requirement to get in through my current marks from UPC, then yes I do.

I hope that was a helpful reply! If you want more info you can look at this year UPC statistics on through the link below, just scroll a bit and that would show you a breakdown of the offer percentage per faculty:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/languages-inte...l-foundation-1

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I'll try to reply faster this time.
PollyWaCracker
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Once again I apologize for the late reply!

For medicine, it is expected and recommended for you to take a gap year after you finish the UPC course; that is to study for the BMAT (an admissions exam) and do voluntary work as medicine is very competitive to get into especially as an international student. However, if you are asking if I meet the requirement to get in through my current marks from UPC, then yes I do.

I hope that was a helpful reply! If you want more info you can look at this year UPC statistics on through the link below, just scroll a bit and that would show you a breakdown of the offer percentage per faculty:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/languages-inte...l-foundation-1

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I'll try to reply faster this time.
Hey, this information is quite helpful. As I am starting the UPCSE w/ Bio and Chem this October, I was wondering if you have any advice that would help us new UPCSE students???? Thanks! (I am planning on applying to Psychology with Education.
aseel_sj
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by PollyWaCracker)
Hey, this information is quite helpful. As I am starting the UPCSE w/ Bio and Chem this October, I was wondering if you have any advice that would help us new UPCSE students???? Thanks! (I am planning on applying to Psychology with Education.
Hello!

I'll try to break it down into subjects to help you as much as possible.

Biology: biggest mistake i did in the beginning was not use the book from the start! highly recommend it. Use it to answer all of your courseworks (especially in the first term). Make sure you actually understand the content in your coursework and not only write it down to submit (cuz you will feel like doing that often!) and try to not keep all coursework last minute, unless you actually study properly before doing it. They're going to give you lecture outlines, make sure to study their contents for the tests/exams they're a better highlighter than lectures (one smart thing I saw my friend do is taking notes on the lecture outlines midclass). As for lab reports, there are guidelines on their regards that they might not give you unless you ask for them, so please do ask for them (we often lost points but didn't know why till the tutors told us that they never uploaded them for us).

Chemistry: The book will not help as much as the biology book did. Make sure you attend all tutorials or as many as you can; if the tutorial sheet was not finished during the tutorial hour, do it later!!! (and definitely try within the same week). Try to understand the labwork procedure and why you are doing what you're doing before the lab, basically read the procedure beforehand and the introduction that is given to you. For coursework, use the lecture slides, chemistry lecture slides are very helpful. To study for exams, revise the slides then practice by doing CW questions you got wrong and past papers. If you don't understand something, then please do attend office hours and ask the tutors, they will help you out! even give you extra questions if you need the practice, after explaining the points that you don't understand.

I hope this wasn't too long for you and is helpful. An extra common point I want to make is that most students usually do better in Biology than in Chemistry, but that does not mean that you should attend the office hours for chemistry and constantly focus on it. Try to organize a routine beforehand, it doesn't have to be very rigorous and strict, but make sure that you know the submission dates for everything and when you have time to study as well as give yourself some free-time.
PollyWaCracker
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello!

Biology: biggest mistake i did in the beginning was not use the book from the start! highly recommend it. Use it to answer all of your courseworks (especially in the first term). Make sure you actually understand the content in your coursework and not only write it down to submit (cuz you will feel like doing that often!) and try to not keep all coursework last minute, unless you actually study properly before doing it. They're going to give you lecture outlines, make sure to study their contents for the tests/exams they're a better highlighter than lectures (one smart thing I saw my friend do is taking notes on the lecture outlines midclass). As for lab reports, there are guidelines on their regards that they might not give you unless you ask for them, so please do ask for them (we often lost points but didn't know why till the tutors told us that they never uploaded them for us).

Chemistry: The book will not help as much as the biology book did. Make sure you attend all tutorials or as many as you can; if the tutorial sheet was not finished during the tutorial hour, do it later!!! (and definitely try within the same week). Try to understand the labwork procedure and why you are doing what you're doing before the lab, basically read the procedure beforehand and the introduction that is given to you. For coursework, use the lecture slides, chemistry lecture slides are very helpful. To study for exams, revise the slides then practice by doing CW questions you got wrong and past papers. If you don't understand something, then please do attend office hours and ask the tutors, they will help you out! even give you extra questions if you need the practice, after explaining the points that you don't understand.

I hope this wasn't too long for you and is helpful. An extra common point I want to make is that most students usually do better in Biology than in Chemistry, but that does not mean that you should attend the office hours for chemistry and constantly focus on it. Try to organize a routine beforehand, it doesn't have to be very rigorous and strict, but make sure that you know the submission dates for everything and when you have time to study as well as give yourself some free-time.
Thank you so so so much, this is REALLY helpful!!!
aseel_sj
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by PollyWaCracker)
Thank you so so so much, this is REALLY helpful!!!
No problem! and if you have any further questions about the scientific modules or other modules, don't be scared to reach out!!!
justforfun.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello!

Hi, do you have any idea about physics on the UPC? Are the exams hard?
aseel_sj
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by justforfun.)
Hi, do you have any idea about physics on the UPC? Are the exams hard?
Hello,

I haven't taken physics myself, but what got around to me is that its easier to manage than biology and chemistry. Since the answers are more absolute in physics, its easier to score higher in the exams/tests than Bio and Chem. Of course, you should not take that piece of information as a suggestion not to take things seriously in physics, and still put all the effort you can to achieve the best of your abilities. You should also know that the labwork in physics is not something that happens as often. While in Bio and Chem, it was weekly, that's not the case in Physics. It will only happen when needed.

I hope that was helpful even though I haven't taken physics myself.
justforfun.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

I haven't taken physics myself, but what got around to me is that its easier to manage than biology and chemistry. Since the answers are more absolute in physics, its easier to score higher in the exams/tests than Bio and Chem. Of course, you should not take that piece of information as a suggestion not to take things seriously in physics, and still put all the effort you can to achieve the best of your abilities. You should also know that the labwork in physics is not something that happens as often. While in Bio and Chem, it was weekly, that's not the case in Physics. It will only happen when needed.

I hope that was helpful even though I haven't taken physics myself.
Thank you! That was really helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.37%
I don't have everything I need (308)
43.63%

Watched Threads