Are you the first in your family to attend university?

Watch
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Lots of people can feel that they are at a slight disadvantage if they don't have parents who attended university to help them with their university application.

This thread is a place to share if you're also the first generation in your family to attend university, and for you to get answers to any questions you may have.

I myself didn't have any family attending university before me, so I can relate I guess.

Here to help answer any questions or offer any help I can.

Mark,
Second year
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
:love:

And

:nah:
Keele Postgraduate
Rep:
Universities rapidly grew at the time when most of people our parents age were growing up, and much less so with people our grandparents age.:yes: Thanks for sharing.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I am one of 16 children. We were all in care. Only I have gone to university.
5 of my 7 children have been to university. 2 in the Army.
1 grandson graduated from Brighton, now in the Met.
2 about to go in the next couple of years.
The other 14 are too young as is the great granddaughter,
Bangz
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yh, I will be the first in my family. What differences are there between students with family who have attended university and student like myself?
Keele Postgraduate
Rep:
(Original post by Bangz)
Yh, I will be the first in my family. What differences are there between students with family who have attended university and student like myself?
Not necessarily any difference in terms of academic ability, but students who have parents that attended university can draw upon their experiences and knowledge of Higher Education to get advice, which students whose parents haven't attended university don't have access to.

That's why students who are the first generation in their family to attend university can often be used as a social mobility measurement.
Keele Postgraduate
Rep:
(Original post by Seamus123)
I am one of 16 children. We were all in care. Only I have gone to university.
5 of my 7 children have been to university. 2 in the Army.
1 grandson graduated from Brighton, now in the Met.
2 about to go in the next couple of years.
The other 14 are too young as is the great granddaughter,
Wow that's certainly is quite a history!

It's interesting to see how the proportion of university attendees has gone up in your family.
From 1/16 to 5/7 and now all of your grandchildren old enough to go have done!

Have your 2 children who didn't go to university still been happy with their choices not to? It can be a difficult choice sometimes not to follow your siblings if they've all taken similar paths.

Again, thanks for sharing.
Mark
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I'm the first in my immediate family, but not the first in my whole family. I have older cousins who went before.
Claire461
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Keele Student Ambassador)
Wow that's certainly is quite a history!

It's interesting to see how the proportion of university attendees has gone up in your family.
From 1/16 to 5/7 and now all of your grandchildren old enough to go have done!

Have your 2 children who didn't go to university still been happy with their choices not to? It can be a difficult choice sometimes not to follow your siblings if they've all taken similar paths.

Again, thanks for sharing.
Mark
They all had the opportunities. They made their choices. One son has just left the Army after 16 years. He went there straight from school. He is now a professional photographer.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
One of my cousins went when I was small, so no. I also had another cousin that held 3 or 4 degrees, I think via the OU. He's been dead about 10 years now.
HobbinsE
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I’ll be the first in my family to go to uni and no friends or family friends have gone to uni so I have no idea what I’m doing and am just winging it currently. Through the application process I was helped by college but they don’t help after that so I’m starting to panic about when to apply for loans and accommodation and stuff like that. I know I need to wait until I get all my offers back but how long after that? The maintenance loan is bugging me the most because the amount they’ll give me decides what accommodation I can apply for.
username3774332
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
will be the first unless i win the lottery
Claire461
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HobbinsE)
I’ll be the first in my family to go to uni and no friends or family friends have gone to uni so I have no idea what I’m doing and am just winging it currently. Through the application process I was helped by college but they don’t help after that so I’m starting to panic about when to apply for loans and accommodation and stuff like that. I know I need to wait until I get all my offers back but how long after that? The maintenance loan is bugging me the most because the amount they’ll give me decides what accommodation I can apply for.
There will be loads of people here who can help you with all of this. You will be just fine.
Keele Postgraduate
Rep:
(Original post by HobbinsE)
Hi there, as Seamus123 said, TSR is a great place to find information, including about student finance. You might want to have a look at this page to answer some of your questions:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/

Something I did was ask my parents roughly how much would I be entitled to. This table gives a rough guide. That way I could plan ahead about spending.

Student money week is usually very early February, close to the time when Student Finance applications open.
HobbinsE
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Keele Student Ambassador)
Hi there, as Seamus123 said, TSR is a great place to find information, including about student finance. You might want to have a look at this page to answer some of your questions:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/

Something I did was ask my parents roughly how much would I be entitled to. This table gives a rough guide. That way I could plan ahead about spending.

Student money week is usually very early February, close to the time when Student Finance applications open.
Thank you
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yes in the sense of physically going to uni.

However my Dad did a degree through the OU (paid by his employer) sometime in the late '00s.
username2088165
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Neither of my parents went to university, but my auntie and some of my cousins did before me
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yeh, unless you include my cousin who went to a post 18 college/uni thing for one week before quitting.
Desayama
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I'm debating whether to go to Keele or not, but I'd be kind of the first person to go to University and hopefully use my degree out of my family? My Dad never went to University and works in a factory, while my Mum went to Edge Hill, before its official status, but did nothing with her degree afterwards. My uncle went to Leeds but then dropped out and went to Bolton about 10 years later as a mature student. Lowkey feel like I have a ton of pressure on me to make everyone proud, my Mum always goes on about using my degree and my Uncle wants me to go through and not drop out.
therandomperson
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
No, Neither of my parents went to university but my sister started last year and my twin brother started this year so I am the 2nd/3rd person in my immediate family to go to university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.85%
Okay (97)
28.96%
A bit lacking (122)
36.42%
Not good at all (83)
24.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed