The Student Room Group

Which university

I’m currently debating which university I should go to.
I really want to go to study in America and I’ve heard they have very good courses and great student life, and I feel it would be a once in a life time opportunity and I will definitely love it.
However, I’m scared it won’t be worth it and the travel is huge being so far away from my family.
And not to mention the cost would be huge, but I would try and get a sponsorship.
I just don’t want to waste my time if I’m better off not going. But I really do want to...
There’s no where really in the UK where I want to go or thought about.
Plz someone give me their advice.

Scroll to see replies

What doesn't appeal to you about the UK?
What are you wanting to study?
Reply 2
I have no idea It just doesn’t appeal and I’ve always wanted to go, and when I was looking it just didn’t look good if that makes sense.
I want to study physiotherapy.
Original post by xellenx2
I have no idea It just doesn’t appeal and I’ve always wanted to go, and when I was looking it just didn’t look good if that makes sense.
I want to study physiotherapy.

What doesn't look good?
Try and pinpoint what the problem is

Or conversely what about america makes it appeal so much more
What about their student life? The student life in the UK is perfectly fine. Is there something they do in the US that they don't do here?
What subject do you want to study. What are you taking now and what are your predicted grades. What are you looking for in a university. Small city, big city, campus university or not. Are you looking for somewhere with scenery or near a beach. There are over 100 universities in the Uk. Maybe we can help if you provide enough information. Where in the uk do you live. How close to home are you looking for.
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
What doesn't look good?
Try and pinpoint what the problem is

Or conversely what about america makes it appeal so much more
What about their student life? The student life in the UK is perfectly fine. Is there something they do in the US that they don't do here?

That’s such a good point and I have thought about what’s so good. When I went to America I fell in love with it, even before I went I loved it. I even went to a football game at Michigan university and it was AMAZING so many students there, the campus looked amazing and full of life, just nothing compared to the UK. After that my heart was set on it, but I’m scared I’m obsessing over something that’s impossible...
That’s such a good point and I have thought about what’s so good. When I went to America I fell in love with it, even before I went I loved it. I even went to a football game at Michigan university and it was AMAZING so many students there, the campus looked amazing and full of life, just nothing compared to the UK. After that my heart was set on it, but I’m scared I’m obsessing over something that’s impossible...

Maybe going to a large uni in the UK would suit you better then?
It may be that you've just not gone to a uni in the UK when it is in full swing and all the students are there.
I'd look at a few open days
Reply 7
Maybe going to a large uni in the UK would suit you better then?
It may be that you've just not gone to a uni in the UK when it is in full swing and all the students are there.
I'd look at a few open days

Yeah that’s what I thought, however I went down to Loughborough, for example, the person said it was the time of year everyone was there and I don’t know it just didn’t appeal At all, I feel I’m being too picky and judgmental but it’s what I’m feeling
I think I might go to a few more open days to really get a feel but I’m worried I’ve set my heart on America that I’ve ruined any chance in the UK if that makes sense...
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
What subject do you want to study. What are you taking now and what are your predicted grades. What are you looking for in a university. Small city, big city, campus university or not. Are you looking for somewhere with scenery or near a beach. There are over 100 universities in the Uk. Maybe we can help if you provide enough information. Where in the uk do you live. How close to home are you looking for.

I’m currently taking: Chemistry, Biology and PE and my predicted grades are AAB.
I’m a people person so I’d feel a big university with lots of people is where I’d thrive best. When I was looking at America, Miami appealed the most to me because of the set out of the campus. I currently live in Sheffield in the UK. I don’t mind how far I am from home just as long as I have close contact with my family and I come home periodically.
(Original post by xellenx2)Yeah that’s what I thought, however I went down to Loughborough, for example, the person said it was the time of year everyone was there and I don’t know it just didn’t appeal At all, I feel I’m being too picky and judgmental but it’s what I’m feeling
I think I might go to a few more open days to really get a feel but I’m worried I’ve set my heart on America that I’ve ruined any chance in the UK if that makes sense...
no university suits everyone. You wont have the kind of football crowds you get in America here. However most universities have their own social life. You need to look at more information to help you look in the right places.
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
(Original post by xellenx2)Yeah that’s what I thought, however I went down to Loughborough, for example, the person said it was the time of year everyone was there and I don’t know it just didn’t appeal At all, I feel I’m being too picky and judgmental but it’s what I’m feeling
no university suits everyone. You wont have the kind of football crowds you get in America here. However most universities have their own social life. You need to look at more information to help you look in the right places.

Yeah that’s exactly what I thought it’s just so frustrating and hectic because I can’t decide. I am thinking of taking a gap year to just get some money and work for wherever I go but it’s just hard to decide where to go.
Yeah that’s what I thought, however I went down to Loughborough, for example, the person said it was the time of year everyone was there and I don’t know it just didn’t appeal At all, I feel I’m being too picky and judgmental but it’s what I’m feeling

Uni is definitely a feeling thing. Not all will appeal to you. Don't give up after 1. Try a few -even ones which don't appeal. The open days changed my mind concerning a few unis.
You've not ruined your chances by setting your heart on america, just try and be a bit more open and optimistic. I set my heart on one uni, but by focussing on a few bad points and being open to some other unis I actually realised that it wasn't right for me
Reply 12
Have you tried speaking to any students at American unis? It might give you a more grounded and realistic point of view. Of course I don't want to discourage you - but the "grass is always greener" could be true? HAVING SAID THAT I just had a good 'feeling' to go to Sussex Uni too. And that good 'feeling' and Buzz of a Uni i feel is really important and can give you motivation and positive outlook, which i think is so important at uni. SO
to find out, if i were you id try get in contact with some students
Reply 13
Uni is definitely a feeling thing. Not all will appeal to you. Don't give up after 1. Try a few -even ones which don't appeal. The open days changed my mind concerning a few unis.
You've not ruined your chances by setting your heart on america, just try and be a bit more open and optimistic. I set my heart on one uni, but by focussing on a few bad points and being open to some other unis I actually realised that it wasn't right for me

Yeah that’s a very good point I’ve been to a lot of open days but I will deffo continue to do so, and there is definitely major cons of going to America such as the distance.
There was an alternative of going to America and doing a pre- physiotherapy course, like getting you ready for it, which was only for a year...
Reply 14
Original post by zGeorge
Have you tried speaking to any students at American unis? It might give you a more grounded and realistic point of view. Of course I don't want to discourage you - but the "grass is always greener" could be true? HAVING SAID THAT I just had a good 'feeling' to go to Sussex Uni too. And that good 'feeling' and Buzz of a Uni i feel is really important and can give you motivation and positive outlook, which i think is so important at uni. SO
to find out, if i were you id try get in contact with some students

Yeah that’s exactly how I feel, in my gut it just is studying in America but yes I will definitely try and get in touch with a few students in America and get their opinion. That’s a very good idea.
I’m currently debating which university I should go to.
I really want to go to study in America and I’ve heard they have very good courses and great student life, and I feel it would be a once in a life time opportunity and I will definitely love it.
However, I’m scared it won’t be worth it and the travel is huge being so far away from my family.
And not to mention the cost would be huge, but I would try and get a sponsorship.
I just don’t want to waste my time if I’m better off not going. But I really do want to...
There’s no where really in the UK where I want to go or thought about.
Plz someone give me their advice.

My son's girlfriend is doing a masters in the US - some university in LA. He says the facilities are amazing, the support for the sport is fabulous, resources are second to none. He was comparing it to his alma mater - Bristol - and said there was no comparison.

You may get a scholarship if you are outstanding, but I wouldn't count on it. Why don't you take a gap year and go and visit some of them. It will be expensive but you want to get it right
Reply 16
Yeah that’s exactly how I feel, in my gut it just is studying in America but yes I will definitely try and get in touch with a few students in America and get their opinion. That’s a very good idea.

Also ! Remember that Some UK Unis are very good with placements / study abroads. Some may have good links with America. I havent checked, but maybe that could be a goal if you decided america was too much of a jump at first. I have had friends work in America on a placement and offered a job when they completed their degree. I would imagine as psysiotherapy is a high demanded job - that potentially could be the case for you? Good luck ! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah that’s a very good point I’ve been to a lot of open days but I will deffo continue to do so, and there is definitely major cons of going to America such as the distance.
There was an alternative of going to America and doing a pre- physiotherapy course, like getting you ready for it, which was only for a year...

You could do that, but imagine if you loved it so much you wanted to stay but couldn't or conversely or you may hate it and be glad you're not staying there.
There may be options with some of the UK courses to do a year abroad somewhere- look into this, you could go to the US potentially?
I’m currently taking: Chemistry, Biology and PE and my predicted grades are AAB.
I’m a people person so I’d feel a big university with lots of people is where I’d thrive best. When I was looking at America, Miami appealed the most to me because of the set out of the campus. I currently live in Sheffield in the UK. I don’t mind how far I am from home just as long as I have close contact with my family and I come home periodically.

You won't get a scholarship in the US with those grades, unless you are at least a county level athlete (most likely you should be a potential Olympic prospect or actual Olympic athlete). They're also too low for you to be considered by need-blind colleges (those that will pay what they calculate is your financial need) which are the Ivy league, MIT, Stanford and their ilk, unless again, you're a world class athlete or have some other extremely significant and impressive extracurricular achievement - if you haven't been in the national news for something you've done, you probably wouldn't have achieved that.

For reference, the acceptance rate of Harvard was 5% last year, compared to 20% at Cambridge (averaged across all the courses there; you don't apply to a specific programme for US colleges). It is unbelievably more competitive to get into a good university in the US that will actually fund some or all of your financial need, compared to the UK. For the others (also those ones, but as above they'll pay) it is unbelievably expensive, even for US citizens. Competitive applicants to top US colleges from the UK will usually have almost all A* at GCSE and A-level, as well as strong county level or above engagement/repute in an array of extracurricular activities.

If you don't like the UK culture you can move to the US, however you will most likely need a degree and a small pot of money to get a green card, so you may as well start by getting your degree somewhere you will be admitted. You may find your rose tinted lenses don't last when you are actually exposed to the realities of American life however.
Reply 19
Original post by squeakysquirrel
My son's girlfriend is doing a masters in the US - some university in LA. He says the facilities are amazing, the support for the sport is fabulous, resources are second to none. He was comparing it to his alma mater - Bristol - and said there was no comparison.

You may get a scholarship if you are outstanding, but I wouldn't count on it. Why don't you take a gap year and go and visit some of them. It will be expensive but you want to get it right

Yeah that what I was going to do and visit the ones I really feel would be good for me. I just know there would be no comparison. It’s screaming to me but I’m scared

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending