University of Manchester accomidation help Watch

Jessbace
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im struggling to figure out what accomidation would be best for me at UoM I don't want to be too far away from the university and would like to be somewhere sociable where I can meet and make new friends, at the same time I value my 'me' time so I want a room that is decent and not like a prison however I'm not to fussy about noise. I don't really know what to choose for ensuite/shared or self-catered/catered either it's all a bit of a mess. Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom for me??
potatohouse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wherever you are everyone will be wanting to make new friends and you’ll meet lots of people at freshers anyway so don’t stress
TwoLimes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly if you're worrying about fallow being 'too far' from uni then it really isn't. There are buses about every 3 minutes or something daft plus dedicated bus lanes. You can get to uni in 20 minutes on a good day down Oxford Road from Owens park.

Check the FAQ, you'll find some good stuff there. Otherwise, I lived in Ashburne, then have lived in Fallowfield & Withington for 3 years since, so drop me a PM if you have any more Q's.
Jessbace
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by TwoLimes)
Honestly if you're worrying about fallow being 'too far' from uni then it really isn't. There are buses about every 3 minutes or something daft plus dedicated bus lanes. You can get to uni in 20 minutes on a good day down Oxford Road from Owens park.

Check the FAQ, you'll find some good stuff there. Otherwise, I lived in Ashburne, then have lived in Fallowfield & Withington for 3 years since, so drop me a PM if you have any more Q's.
Hey! Thanks I was a little worried about fallows being far but I saw that they had buses running and so that put me at ease. I've just applied for Oak House I know it has a reputation but honestly I don't wanna be spending over a £100 a week in my first year, I'm just excited for the experience I can't see me not having a good time no matter where I am since studying in Manchester has been a big goal of mine for some time now.
Aleiya
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Fallowfield is good for social life, VP can be a bit too quiet but is good if youre not a socialble person. Can't speak for city accom. I currently stay in Oak house and its great.
Jessbace
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aleiya)
Fallowfield is good for social life, VP can be a bit too quiet but is good if youre not a socialble person. Can't speak for city accom. I currently stay in Oak house and its great.
Oak house is where I've applied! I was wondering if you could give me any advice on transport at Oak House? I won't have a car and I'm terrible on a bike so I'm trying to look into the buses/trams but obviously i don't want to be spending money on transport to uni everyday, so do you have any advice on this? Maybe there is some kind of annual pass available or just something of benefit to me? x
Aleiya
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jessbace)
Oak house is where I've applied! I was wondering if you could give me any advice on transport at Oak House? I won't have a car and I'm terrible on a bike so I'm trying to look into the buses/trams but obviously i don't want to be spending money on transport to uni everyday, so do you have any advice on this? Maybe there is some kind of annual pass available or just something of benefit to me? x
The stagecoach bus annual pass is the one you wanna get. Everyone has that. It's £250 for the whole year or theres a cheaper 9 month one but I wouldn't advise it in case you don't leave for christmas/stay for extra days bc youll have to pay for those extra days. Don't get a First/Vantage bus pass, no one will have those and you'll be trekking alone to uni everyday. The bus pass is expensive but you will use it everyday to go to uni, to town, to other parts of manny and on nights out. Ubers are good on nights out getting home but the bus is pretty decent with the ones going from town to fallow working 24/7 but at night theyre a bit more infrequenet like every 30 mins or so after 1am.
Jessbace
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aleiya)
The stagecoach bus annual pass is the one you wanna get. Everyone has that. It's £250 for the whole year or theres a cheaper 9 month one but I wouldn't advise it in case you don't leave for christmas/stay for extra days bc youll have to pay for those extra days. Don't get a First/Vantage bus pass, no one will have those and you'll be trekking alone to uni everyday. The bus pass is expensive but you will use it everyday to go to uni, to town, to other parts of manny and on nights out. Ubers are good on nights out getting home but the bus is pretty decent with the ones going from town to fallow working 24/7 but at night theyre a bit more infrequenet like every 30 mins or so after 1am.
Thank you!!! I was getting so confused looking at all the different passes and buses not knowing which was the best one to get. Do you have anymore advice on living in fallowfield/oak house? I really appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.6%
No (219)
94.4%

Watched Threads