?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Gerald says, ‘Everything’s all right now Sheila.’
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The quote you mention is the fourth last speech in the play. It is after Gerald has phoned the Infirmary to discover that - at that time - there has been no suicide admitted to the hospital. Immediately the Birling parents relax and make light of the whole encounter with Inspector Goole. Both Sheila and Eric are aghast at how relaxed the parents now are. Gerald's speech follows a comment by Mrs Birling who suggests that after a good night's sleep both Eric and Sheila will see things differently.

Gerald's speech is in two parts.
Part 1. (the part you copied) Like the Birling parents since - at that point no girl has been admitted to hospital - there is nothing to worry ablout. Gerald says "Everything's all right now." The who purpose of the Inspector's visit had been to explain that "Everything" - which represented Gerald and the Birling parents way of life - was not safe and there was nowreal need to modify their behaviour. The implication is that had the infirmary explained that a suicide had been admitted then the consequence may well have affected their behaviour. Because no suicide has been admitted Gerald is effectively suggesting everything can go back to how it was.

What is not often commented on is that Priestley in this play gave Gerald and the Birling parents a chance to change. But they do not take it. The implication of this moment is that had Gerald and the Birling parents changed their attitude Inspector Goole would not have returned. But Gerald's "Everything's all right now" makes clear that these people have no intention of changing.

Part 2. At rhis point Gerald turns to Sheila and asks "What about this ring?" What he really does not understand is that although this visit of the Inspector has made no impression on Gerald it has made an impression on Sheila. She leaves the play a very different person. The Sheila who desperately wanted to be engaged to Gerald now cannot marry him. She can no longer marry him. Nothing has changed with Gerald but "Everything" has changed with Sheila.

The tragedy is that Gerald never realises what was the importance if the visit by Inspector Goole. Gerald represents the worst of the Edwardian eara that becomes part of the twentieth century. The Gerald's of this play go on to thrive in the twentieth century.
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NavyBlitz)
Thanks, where could there be room to expand the quote?
Have you read what jamesg2 has written?!! That is an expansion of the quote - it is describing the background to social events at the time
NavyBlitz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yes I have read what jamesg2 has written, but there can be room for expansion, everything isn’t always perfect. Don’t you agree? And don’t take it the wrong way, I appreciate it what he’s done.
Last edited by NavyBlitz; 2 years ago
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NavyBlitz)
Yes I have read what jamesg2 has written, but there can be room for expansion, everything isn’t always perfect. Don’t you agree? And don’t take it the wrong way, I appreciate it what he’s done.
Yes, absolutely there is room for expansion still further - but, to be honest, you really ought to be doing your own homework - and you should appreciate what he has done because he has given you a half decent answer - but remember, just taking information off the internet is plagiarism - and you need to engage your own brain so that some of it hopefully sticks for your upcoming GCSEs - go on - start thinking for yourself!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.22%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (134)
59.56%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.33%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.22%

Watched Threads