The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

questions about Film, TV & Digital Production

I'm interested in starting this course in Sept 2019, but there's rather a lack of info about the course and facilities on the website - anyone able to answer a few questions?

What are the film facilities / equipment like - e.g. what cameras / editing software are used?

How many students per class / year / crew?

Any info about where / when / how long work placements are likely to be?

Any opportunity for additional qualifications e.g. Avid / Adobe Certificate?

What percentage of the course is theory? How many films do you make each year?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by LizMo
I'm interested in starting this course in Sept 2019, but there's rather a lack of info about the course and facilities on the website - anyone able to answer a few questions?

What are the film facilities / equipment like - e.g. what cameras / editing software are used?

Hi LizMo,

I've contacted the department to be sure I give you all the correct information, but if you have any other questions about the campus or student life, I'm happy to answer these in the meantime.

Susana :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by LizMo

Hi LizMo,

My apologies for the delay, but in response to your questions, the department wants to reiternate that we have fantastic facilities a large TV studio and a whole array of sets and props in addition to a gallery so you can create live shows plus many locations on campus where you can film.

With regards to the type of equipment, we have Sony FS7 cameras with a choice of prime or zoom lenses, matte boxes and follow focus, Sony PMW-100 camcorders with Sachtler and Manfrotto tripods, Sennheiser K6U microphone systems with Rycote windshields and a wide selection of tungsten, fluorescent and LED portable lighting kits. In addition, we also have digital stills cameras, portable audio recorders and a range of reflectors, diffusers and gels. We also have around 360 cameras and some oculus headsets as we move into the immersive sector. You can take a look at one of our research projects that surrounds this here.

The number of students in your classes will vary depending on your module choice. You have the opportunity to build your own degree after your first year of study where practice modules have anything from 12-24 students per class. In the first year there are elements where the whole first year are in lectures (up to 120) and seminars and classes that are around 20-24 students per class.

There are a range of placement opportunities throughout the year with our microplacement scheme and many other internship opportunites as we have production companies as partners, and practice tutors post placement opportunites frequently. Most students take these during the break in between second and third term or in the summer.

We offer full AVID and AVID pro qualifications to our students. The course is 50% practical and 50% theory and you will be actively making either films or creative projects every term. You can use the department's kit and facilities for personal projects or for society films in addition to your courswork and students are encouraged to make as many films as you are able.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you had any other questions.

Susana :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending