Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
B1444 – Abortion (Amendment) Bill 2019, Joep95 MP

A
BILL TO
Amend the abortion act based on modern day viability

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1-Amendments
(1) In Section 1(1) of the Abortion Act 1967 replace twenty-fourth with twenty-first

2- Citation and commencement
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Abortion (Amendment) Act 2019

Notes:
The Abortion limit is 24 weeks based on viability however this was set in 1990 and science and technology has advanced since then with children born at 21 weeks surviving http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...e-parents.html
https://www.today.com/health/born-21...g-baby-t118610

This bill moves the limit to the point of viability.

Legislation

Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Provided that it’s an option for the woman to get it out of their body at 21 weeks...
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This bill seems like the right step forward.

Aye from me.
username4391786
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I find it laughable that the Honourable gentleman tells us modern day viability is at 21 weeks gestation offering two examples describing the occurrence as a 'miracle'. I probably would have abstained on this bill if it were appropriately justified since I understand its desire to tweak the status quo which I can abide by (despite advocating the removal of the limit altogether). When coupled with the fact that the NHS tells us viability is at 24 weeks, this is unacceptable for anyone.

Nay.
London090
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye from me, I'm liking it Joe a very moralistic Bill
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Concited)
I find it laughable that the Honourable gentleman tells us modern day viability is at 21 weeks gestation offering two examples describing the occurrence as a 'miracle'. I probably would have abstained on this bill if it were appropriately justified since I understand its desire to tweak the status quo which I can abide by (despite advocating the removal of the limit altogether). When coupled with the fact that the NHS tells us viability is at 24 weeks, this is unacceptable for anyone.

Nay.
If they aren’t viable at 21 weeks how can they survive at 21 weeks?

Even 1 example at 21 weeks shows that at 21 weeks babies can survive and are therefore viable
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye - let’s save babies from being butchered!
London090
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Aye - let’s save babies from being butchered!
Hear Hear!
ns_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An emphatic aye.
username4391786
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joep95)
If they aren’t viable at 21 weeks how can they survive at 21 weeks?

Even 1 example at 21 weeks shows that at 21 weeks babies can survive and are therefore viable
No it doesn't. A doctor is quoted in one of your own sources saying that death remains 'highly probable' at 21 weeks gestation.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The justification for this bill is dumb when a kid born at 18 weeks has survived. The point of viability is thus three weeks lower than this bill sets. The viability arguement the bill uses is flawed

SoggyCabbages @Connor27London090 ns_2 Joep95

How can you support the flawed reasoning? You're either against abortion altogether or you're not. If you want to use viability it needs to be set at 18 weeks (lower frankly given medicine now means we can use test tubes and incubators). If you don't like 18 weeks, why is 21 weeks a better arbitary figure than 24?
Last edited by Miss Maddie; 1 year ago
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
The justification for this bill is dumb when a kid born at 18 weeks has survived. The point of viability is thus three weeks lower than this bill sets. The viability arguement the bill uses is flawed

How can you support the flawed reasoning? You're either against abortion altogether or you're not. If you want to use viability it needs to be set at 18 weeks (lower frankly given medicine now means we can use test tubes and incubators). If you don't like 18 weeks, why is 21 weeks a better arbitary figure than the current limit?
I don’t think you have read your article correctly
“Ernestine was born after only 22 weeks of gestation”
“18 Weeks Prematurely”
London090
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

How can you support the flawed reasoning? You're either against abortion altogether or you're not. If you want to use viability it needs to be set at 18 weeks (lower frankly given medicine now means we can use test tubes and incubators). If you don't like 18 weeks, why is 21 weeks a better arbitary figure than 24?
Your argument on how that one should either be against abortion altogether or not is incorrect. As a libertarian I am pro choice and I believe that women should have the right to choose however as an individual who is religious I also have various other view points which I have already debated upon with other members. It's alright to be pro-choice but personally find abortions to be inhumane.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joep95)
I don’t think you have read your article correctly
“Ernestine was born after only 22 weeks of gestation”
“18 Weeks Prematurely”
I posted the wrong link. This kid was born after 18 weeks

https://www.liveaction.org/news/18-w...-baby-perfect/
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

“did not survive the birth process and was stillborn.”
London090
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I suggest you read your sources with more care before you attempt to defend your point.
Pugglet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If medical advancements are being made that means a child born at 21 weeks will survive then I agree with lowering the limit.
username4391786
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pugglet)
If medical advancements are being made that means a child born at 21 weeks will survive then I agree with lowering the limit.
Except that's dishonest, the silence following my last response demonstrates that. The examples of babies being born at 21 weeks gestation being used are described as miracles; the NHS tells us babies are considered viable at 24 weeks.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Except that's dishonest, the silence following my last response demonstrates that. The examples of babies being born at 21 weeks gestation being used are described as miracles; the NHS tells us babies are considered viable at 24 weeks.
Can a child survive yes or no?
You should start being honest rather than calling others dishonest.
Pugglet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was considered a miricle at 34 weeks.
What is the exact likelihood of a child at 21 weeks surviving?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (768)
42.01%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise