Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm a mature student and have been out of education for a while - due to bad health. Healthwise I am doing a lot better and have started to get things back on track, with my education/career.

Anyway!! I'm looking to get into teaching, as this is something I have always wanted to do. I've been studying online, doing an access course - as I never took A-Levels etc.

Studywise, I am on track.

However, I understand to apply for Uni 2019 - I will need to get my application in by the 15th... Which doesn't seem doable due to not being able to get a decent reference?

When I say not being able to get a decent one, I mean that the only places I have worked (at the moment) is in a call centre. The last time I was in education or worked with children was ages ago. I even called up one school I worked out, but no one I knew works there anymore and I wasn't able to get in contact with them.

However, I am about to start working in a school - on a voluntary basis. I'm hoping they will be able to provide a reference for me, however, I still won't meet this deadline.

So basically, I'm wondering what are my options. I guess I will be looking at having to go through clearing if I want to even consider attempting to get in for 2019? If so, do I have to apply now still and then update my details? Or can I wait a little while and apply before the June (I think) clearing deadline.

I really want to try and get in for 2019, but I feel it might not be doable now.

Any help and advice is much appreciated!!
    • Section Leader
    • Answer Heroes
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Answer Heroes
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by AlanJo)
    Hi guys,

I'm a mature student and have been out of education for a while - due to bad health. Healthwise I am doing a lot better and have started to get things back on track, with my education/career.

Anyway!! I'm looking to get into teaching, as this is something I have always wanted to do. I've been studying online, doing an access course - as I never took A-Levels etc.

Studywise, I am on track.

However, I understand to apply for Uni 2019 - I will need to get my application in by the 15th... Which doesn't seem doable due to not being able to get a decent reference?

When I say not being able to get a decent one, I mean that the only places I have worked (at the moment) is in a call centre. The last time I was in education or worked with children was ages ago. I even called up one school I worked out, but no one I knew works there anymore and I wasn't able to get in contact with them.

However, I am about to start working in a school - on a voluntary basis. I'm hoping they will be able to provide a reference for me, however, I still won't meet this deadline.

So basically, I'm wondering what are my options. I guess I will be looking at having to go through clearing if I want to even consider attempting to get in for 2019? If so, do I have to apply now still and then update my details? Or can I wait a little while and apply before the June (I think) clearing deadline.

I really want to try and get in for 2019, but I feel it might not be doable now.

Any help and advice is much appreciated!!
    you can apply as a late application so you wouldn't have to have the application finished yet and then could go through clearing if you have no luck.

ReputationRep:
    Your situation sounds a bit tricky but you don't necessarily need to wait for Clearing to apply (which is normally in August btw).

I would start your voluntary work and ask someone there if they would mind writing you a reference in about March/April. Then you can submit your form at that stage, when lots of Unis will still have vacancies. My son applied late (in April) to do a History degree and still got offers from all his 5 choices so don't fret too much about the 15th January deadline. Starting Uni in 2019 is still doable

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.