The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry

Hi, I’m in Year 12.

Is it just me, or is first year chemistry A level so bloody hard. I mean I’m struggling and only getting 50-60% which is like a B grade.

Any help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryan15mcc
Hi, I’m in Year 12.

Is it just me, or is first year chemistry so bloody hard. I mean I’m struggling and only getting 50-60% which is like a B grade.

Any help?

What is it you’re finding hard? Is it retaining the information or understanding it in the first place?
Reply 2
Just generally getting my grips on understanding it. The maths, for me, is the easiest part which I didn’t think it would be. Its from ionisation energies and mass spectrometry to polar bonds it’s just so confusing. Did you have this problem?
With Chemistry just like any other subject, you need to understand the concept rather than just memorising it.

It helps if you revise from different sources, when you're looking over a certain topic, have different books open as well as your notes. I always have Chemrevise open on my laptop, honest to god it saves me hours.

https://chemrevise.org/ocr-revision-guides/

As soon as you're confident in the topic, do the end-of-chapter questions and then try some past exam questions. You're lucky you find the maths easy! The log and Arrhenius equation bs makes me want to cry.
Reply 4
Really amazing help thanks! Not that I find the maths easy as such, just easier than the other concepts.
Hi, I’m in Year 12.

Is it just me, or is first year chemistry A level so bloody hard. I mean I’m struggling and only getting 50-60% which is like a B grade.

Any help?

I am willing to do tutoring online via zoom
Reply 6
Really amazing help thanks! Not that I find the maths easy as such, just easier than the other concepts.

which concepts , ill help , im a y13 student and literaly in y12 i was D and now i am an A/A* so I can go through anything u want on zoom this online interactive white board thing and attempt to clear some concepts
Reply 8
Wow this sounds amazing. It’s currently 11:15 and I’m pretty tired, so tomorrow I’ll get my books out if u would be still willing to help me with a few things!
I really appreciate this,
Ryan
Wow this sounds amazing. It’s currently 11:15 and I’m pretty tired, so tomorrow I’ll get my books out if u would be still willing to help me with a few things!
Ryan

same here im knackered but i can help after i have done my mocks so probs any time wednesday thrusday or friday or sat or sunday,
pm me
Original post by shum1614
which concepts , ill help , im a y13 student and literaly in y12 i was D and now i am an A/A* so I can go through anything u want on zoom this online interactive white board thing and attempt to clear some concepts

haha hi bro u can W H A T S A P P me for the same reason and shoutout to you my guy because ur from my thread. Respect bro
Ryan

yr12 chem gang! AQA?
Reply 12
Yep
Hi, I’m in Year 12.

Any help?

lol if u find first year hard then buddy best of luk for second year..😊
Reply 14
Well that’s very helpful of you
Reply 15
I have a habit of struggling with things but still getting the best grades at the end of it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pink_Sparkles
lol if u find first year hard then buddy best of luk for second year..😊

second year is alot easier !!!
Reply 17
That’s good to know! I’ll be fine with remembering it it’s just actually getting to grips with the concepts first.
That’s good to know! I’ll be fine with remembering it it’s just actually getting to grips with the concepts first.

same here i can remember pretty much anything but understanding it and actually applying it is the tricky part , but if u have a teacher who is willing to sit down and break up the process and explain it to you then you are sorted
Original post by shum1614
second year is alot easier !!!

dude r u seriously kidding me.Second year is hell more harder than first year.They actually give basic stuff in first year but second year they have everything advanced....

Quick Reply

Latest