I was bullied by my family Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am biracial; my mum is white and my dad is black. Growing up i was the darker one from my siblings who all have light coloured eyes and lighter skin than me.
My mum used to insult my skin colour when she was angry at me and my dad used to make jokes about my colour (although he's a lot darker than me). Because they made these comments, my siblings who were older than me at the time also insulted me the same way when we had fights.

I grew up insecure as hell and i never spoke to anyone about this. I'm still in the process of loving my skin colour but it's difficult. Now that i'm 21, it's crazy to me that no one mentions this anymore and I spent the last 7ish years of my life pretending that this never happened.

Although it's been years, every time i remember this, i cry. I love my family, but every time i recall this I feel angry inside.

Should I speak to them about this? Or should i get professional help?
Rainfall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i am so sorry you had to go through that. ur mum im sorry is trash. u are beautiful just the way you are. having light skin is not an achievement and ur siblings are stupid for insulting ur skin colour. speak to them about this. i understand ur siblings because they will just imitate ur mums bad parenting but u need to slap ur mum. how dare she.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Rainfall)
i am so sorry you had to go through that. ur mum im sorry is trash. u are beautiful just the way you are. having light skin is not an achievement and ur siblings are stupid for insulting ur skin colour. speak to them about this. i understand ur siblings because they will just imitate ur mums bad parenting but u need to slap ur mum. how dare she.
Thank you for your response. I am finding it so hard to forgive her. She doesn't do this anymore but she did when i was a child.
marple
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for your response. I am finding it so hard to forgive her. She doesn't do this anymore but she did when i was a child.
You should let your parents know how much this has hurt you. They may genuinely not have realised but that doesn't make it okay and you need to tell them. Hopefully they will be more appropriate going forward.
Rainfall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
That is even worse. What people say out of anger, is usually them being their honest selves. There is no excuse for her colourism. She has been bullying you and making you feel like you don't belong in the family when she is supposed to be loving and protecting you from the evil in the world. No offence but it is quite common for white women to marry a Black man and still be a racist. And your father... i don't even want to begin with him. An absolute imbecile. Disgraceful. Just take a lesson from this and treat your kids amazingly. You can talk to her but what can she really say? She's sorry??? Well, I'm sorry but she is NOT.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
omg thats crazy - they may think that these jokes are funny, but they are examples of blatant modern racism - as an interracial couple who may have faced discrimination making fun of your colour is plain sad.
Just bring it up casually and seriously in conversation or if you feel its crossed that stage, seeking other help may be better.

Best of luck
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
That is even worse. What people say out of anger, is usually them being their honest selves. There is no excuse for her colourism. She has been bullying you and making you feel like you don't belong in the family when she is supposed to be loving and protecting you from the evil in the world. No offence but it is quite common for white women to marry a Black man and still be a racist. And your father... i don't even want to begin with him. An absolute imbecile. Disgraceful. Just take a lesson from this and treat your kids amazingly. You can talk to her but what can she really say? She's sorry??? Well, I'm sorry but she is NOT.
Agreed

op tell you’re parents now what you didn’t like about their parenting as a kid it’ll get them thinking

Told my parents a snap it was a wake up call for them lol
Anonymous #1
My siblings would make jokes that I was adopted. My mum used to go along with it and confirm it. It’s not funny when you’re already made to feel like an outcast. That’s true, speaking to them about it is pointless there’s no way they can apologise for that.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
omg thats crazy - they may think that these jokes are funny, but they are examples of blatant modern racism - as an interracial couple who may have faced discrimination making fun of your colour is plain sad.
Just bring it up casually and seriously in conversation or if you feel its crossed that stage, seeking other help may be better.

Best of luck
Thank you! I think they wouldn’t care. My mum quite recently told me to put on lots of sunblock while we were on holiday because apparently I shouldn’t get more tanned than I already am. She once made a slide “joke” comment saying ‘men don’t like girls who are too dark’. I guess I just have a toxic family😅
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (133)
40.3%
Nope, not that interesting (131)
39.7%

Watched Threads