Masters Social Work 2019 Watch

smano
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello all!
I wanted to create something for those of us applying to masters programs. Apologies if this has been done!

I am currently awaiting a response from 4 schools. Keep checking for updates everyday. It’s been stressful!

Have you heard anything back? Interviews scheduled or completed? How did it go? Any advice?

I wish you all the best of luck!
Last edited by smano; 2 weeks ago
amyg1990
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have applied to study my masters at Plymouth, Wolverhampton, Birmingham Worcester Uni and BCUDidnt get offers for Wolves or Birmingham ,but knew I wouldn't as didn't meet criteria. Had a interview for Worcester and achieved a unconditional offerAlso had a Plymouth interview offerI have my BCU interview next week! Dont know what to expect for that interview! am nervous as would like to go to Birmingham, Where has everyone else applied?
Rachym
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied for MMU, Liverpool John Moores, Uclan and Salford. I have had sucsesfull interviews at salford and Uclan, awaiting my interview results from MMU and Liverpool John moores Interview is on Wednesday, Still haven't decided however UCLAN is looking ontop for me. The only thing I'm confused about is the funding as it seems you get more from the Post Graduate loan than the bursary. Advice for interviews is research current news in social work and know your legislation.
amyg1990
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The funding is a nightmare isnt it!?you get £10k off the govt loan and that has to stretch over the two years, seems a bit unfair as most masters are only 1yearI think it depends on the uni as to the bursary amounts, but i know when i went to Plymouth they gave you the bursary in bits, so x amount went to student loans and x amount to you each year ( from memory) so each uni probably has different ways of dealing with itI was advised at Plymouth to apply for the loan and if you get the bursary decide which one you want (as you cant have both)For me ill probs need to take either the loan or bursary and a CPD loan because its just so expensive! what sources did you use to read up on legislation ?
Laineydunne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,

I’m new to the board and only applied for spots last week I have an interview scheduled for worchester in early March. I see some of ye have already done yours there. Could ye talk me through how it went and what I might expect? I am from Ireland so I applied all sorts of places for all sorts of reasons. 2 unis in Liverpool, worchester, Birmingham and Middlesex due to the accelerated programme. Any help ye could give me on this would be great Cos it’s my first time applying for anything in the UK I’m kind of nervous. Thanks 🤗
amyg1990
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t be worried about the Worcester interview it was fine, you have a group discussion followed by a interview with a lecturer and service user. They also give you 2 scenarios to look at and choose to discuss in your interview. The interview wasn’t stressful at all . They had a list of so many qs they asked you which were all pretty standard, nothing to catch you out. You’ll be fine . Which Birmingham uni have you applied to?
Laineydunne
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by amyg1990)
Don’t be worried about the Worcester interview it was fine, you have a group discussion followed by a interview with a lecturer and service user. They also give you 2 scenarios to look at and choose to discuss in your interview. The interview wasn’t stressful at all . They had a list of so many qs they asked you which were all pretty standard, nothing to catch you out. You’ll be fine . Which Birmingham uni have you applied to?
Okay that’s good I completed an interview for the masters here in UCD and was accepted but financially it would have been impossible so I am familiar with the process here but you never know what to expect in a new country. That’s great to hear anyway it’s not too intense. I applied for university of Birmingham but because I’m from Ireland if I get a few offers the cost of rent will probably determine my choice. Is that the same uni you applied to in Birmingham?
amyg1990
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Laineydunne)
Okay that’s good I completed an interview for the masters here in UCD and was accepted but financially it would have been impossible so I am familiar with the process here but you never know what to expect in a new country. That’s great to hear anyway it’s not too intense. I applied for university of Birmingham but because I’m from Ireland if I get a few offers the cost of rent will probably determine my choice. Is that the same uni you applied to in Birmingham?
I did apply but didnt get a interview, knew I wouldnt as only have a 2:2, my interiew is at brum city . Living costs are such a huge factor, i was originally keen to go back to Plymouth but im having to study in the Midlands now and commute from my parents
Laineydunne
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would love to commute honestly but I think Ireland to England might be a stretch 😂 I haven’t heard back from Birmingham yet. I’m not sure I have the maths results to qualify for any of them. It’s way different here they don’t take secondary school. Results into account for masters at all only degree results and experience. So my D in pass Maths May come back to haunt me yet 🙄 are you considering worchester at all or as a last result? It appealed to me because during classroom teaching time it’s only 3 days on campus leaving time hopefully to work. I don’t know it’s very confusing
amyg1990
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would love to commute honestly but I think Ireland to England might be a stretch 😂 I haven’t heard back from Birmingham yet. I’m not sure I have the maths results to qualify for any of them. It’s way different here they don’t take secondary school. Results into account for masters at all only degree results and experience. So my D in pass Maths May come back to haunt me yet 🙄 are you considering worchester at all or as a last result? It appealed to me because during classroom teaching time it’s only 3 days on campus leaving time hopefully to work. I don’t know it’s very confusing
Yea I would go to Worcester, if I dont get into Brum ill go there. I got a lovely vibe at the Worcester interview daya and would happily go to study there. Brum is just a lot closer to me and will be easier to commute to. I think most the Unis I have gone to have said that they try to compact the classroom time into a few days close together in the week
Laineydunne
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by amyg1990)
Yea I would go to Worcester, if I dont get into Brum ill go there. I got a lovely vibe at the Worcester interview daya and would happily go to study there. Brum is just a lot closer to me and will be easier to commute to. I think most the Unis I have gone to have said that they try to compact the classroom time into a few days close together in the week
Please god anyway so maybe could afford to eat that would be nice 😂
amyg1990
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
im not sure youll be able to work when on placement though, thatll be fulltime work i think
Laineydunne
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would be hoping to save enough from work over here to cover me for those periods. Disaster. It’s gonna be tough tho it’s hard to go from a full time wage back to student life. You said all the questions were pretty standard. Did they ask anything regarding legislation? I am familiar with the Irish legislation for children and vulnerable adults but would have to brush up on the UK versions. Also anything else specific you can remember I would really appreciate Cos I am a worrier 🙈 I hope I get accepted and you choose there too would be nice to know one person in the country 😂
amyg1990
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would be hoping to save enough from work over here to cover me for those periods. Disaster. It’s gonna be tough tho it’s hard to go from a full time wage back to student life. You said all the questions were pretty standard. Did they ask anything regarding legislation? I am familiar with the Irish legislation for children and vulnerable adults but would have to brush up on the UK versions. Also anything else specific you can remember I would really appreciate Cos I am a worrier 🙈 I hope I get accepted and you choose there too would be nice to know one person in the country 😂
Thats a wise idea, i dont earn enough nowo to do that! They didnt know, and im hoping they dont on Monday either as I dont have any knowledge on that, i did an Arts degree volunteer in social care but dont have any formal background so wouldn't have a clue.
Just the general qs really, why do you want to be a social worker, how do you cope with stress etc etc For Worcester you dont need to worry about the interview.
Laineydunne
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How did your second interview go amy
amyg1990
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How did your second interview go amy
It went well thank you, they rang me last night to offer me a place!
The written test I found hard, but apparently I did quite well
The interview and group task was absolutely fine, nothing to catch you out at all
I now have to decide whether to go to Worcester or Brum !
Going to go to both open days and work it out!
Laineydunne
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m biased obviously but I hope ya pick Worcester. Well done on the two successful offers 💪🏽
Bethy1991
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good to see other people applying for the MA on here!

I have acceptances from London South Bank, Goldsmiths and Manchester and I have my interview at Sussex tomorrow.

How are people funding? I am really hoping it'll be do-able for me. The postgraduate loan will help but the cost is split over the two years so it may still be tough... I am going to sell my car and try to get about £2.5k together before I go. Thing is, I'll need to move away so I will have to factor in rent also...

Is anyone else moving away or are people living at home? I'm 27 and haven't lived with my mum in five years so that can't happen!
elr89
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello :-) It's so nice to find others who are planning to study the MA Social Work programme! I recently secured a place at Sunderland Uni for the Sept 2019 start. Good luck to those of you awaiting interview, I didn't find it too difficult despite working myself up about it beforehand!
amyg1990
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The funding situation is worrying isn't it!?I was planning on moving away but cant see how you can financially do it so have decided to stay at home. Even with staying at home I am worried about money. The £10 000 govt loan wont cover my tuition fees if I go to BCU and if I go to Worcester it will only cover my tuition fees.So in both instances I am going to have little to nothing to live off! I haven't been to either of my University's open days yet so I am planning on grilling them about the bursary situation then, as I find it really unclear. I was planning on working the days I'm not in Uni but I'm worried now that's not really an option with such a intense course!Does anybody know if the placements are paid? I know there is a travel allowance for them...Its a nightmare!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (66)
8.04%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.8%
No, but I want to start (303)
36.91%
No, I am unable to (203)
24.73%
No, I chose not to (226)
27.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise