Turn on thread page Beta

Not too sure on new job watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a Maths graduate and after yrs of working in retail (various personal and medical related reasons), I've gotten myself an interview for a sales admin role. Looks great. There's some customer service, but there sales analysis and excel related duties too. The thing is, I've been researching the company and on Glassdoor, there is a single review and it's not good. The person who wrote the review went on to say that ppl didn't communicate, and most of the time didn't talk and kept their heads down. Management was awful, but the really disturbing thing was that staff were expected to pose in lingerie (it's a bra company).

Also, this was arranged through an agency. They were very nice and an hr or so after talking with them, got me this interview. They also wanted me to fill out some forms. It mentions temporary work terms, but I haven't agreed to any temporary work. What info is appropriate to give out to these agencies? They also want me to give references before the interview. Should I be worried? 1 of my refs has already left the company. As far as I've read, this shouldn't be an issue.

I still am excited to finally do something more related to my degree, but am very cautious now. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valecia_Chao)
    So I'm a Maths graduate and after yrs of working in retail (various personal and medical related reasons), I've gotten myself an interview for a sales admin role. Looks great. There's some customer service, but there sales analysis and excel related duties too. The thing is, I've been researching the company and on Glassdoor, there is a single review and it's not good. The person who wrote the review went on to say that ppl didn't communicate, and most of the time didn't talk and kept their heads down. Management was awful, but the really disturbing thing was that staff were expected to pose in lingerie (it's a bra company).

Also, this was arranged through an agency. They were very nice and an hr or so after talking with them, got me this interview. They also wanted me to fill out some forms. It mentions temporary work terms, but I haven't agreed to any temporary work. What info is appropriate to give out to these agencies? They also want me to give references before the interview. Should I be worried? 1 of my refs has already left the company. As far as I've read, this shouldn't be an issue.

I still am excited to finally do something more related to my degree, but am very cautious now. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?
    Firstly just go for it. It may not work out - lots of things dont - but how much do you have to lose? I wouldnt pay much attention to Glassdoor reviews. Its not the way in the UK for people to spend time giving feedback to help others unless they are deeply dissatisfied. The US version would be really useful but we are not there so have to accept we don't normally have a good way to research companies. You can look on linkedin and see what kind of people work there but otherwise there isnt much you can do.

What information are the agency looking for? If they are referring to temporary work terms it looks like the company might not be recruiting for a permanent position, or prefer to try people as temps before they take them on as permanent staff. References before interview are not rare for temping agencies as it can speed the whole process up. If you are currently in work its reasonable to not give references from your current employer.

ReputationRep:
    No sense in stressing over a single review. I imagine there's at least 1 person in every company that doesn't like it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Got the job. They asked if I had any holiday booked. I said no but I didn't mention hospital appointments. How should I go about bringing that up? I'm thinking of rearranging my appointments. It's just the 2 with one being the end of this month and another in mid March. I'm thinking of rearranging these appointments till after my probation.

And omg omg omg. I'm so happy I've finally got an office job, but I'm kinda wandering "What if I can't perform up to standard?".

ReputationRep:
    Got the job. They asked if I had any holiday booked. I said no but I didn't mention hospital appointments. How should I go about bringing that up? I'm thinking of rearranging my appointments. It's just the 2 with one being the end of this month and another in mid March. I'm thinking of rearranging these appointments till after my probation.

And omg omg omg. I'm so happy I've finally got an office job, but I'm kinda wandering "What if I can't perform up to standard?".
    Congratulations! You'll be great!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

It's practically normal for an agency to source references before an interview. They are proactively registering you on their books so that if this opportunity doesn't go down well, they can help you look for other roles that they may have available.
    I can say this after my fair share of getting work through different agencies.

Also have they told you beforehand that the role is temporary?
    Usually they are and I would ask them about this, but nonetheless I think you should go ahead with it so that you can gain some experience and then move onto other roles.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.