URGENT choosing a maths/ econ / stats course!!!

Watch
lsehelp173
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have made a completely last minute decision to apply to ucas.

My initial choices were going to be:

LSE: maths and economics

econometrics and mathematical economics

financial maths and statistics

but I recently read online that LSE doesn't like applicants with more than one application. Which one of these is most competitive and which one is easiest to get in to?

I also need help choosing 4 other courses... my only other choice is Statistics, Econ and Finance at UCL but i am looking for something with a little bit more maths in it...

I would be interested in applying to queen mary uni but i have also heard a lot of negative reviews about it... i am looking for a uni within the london area

Any help as to which lse course is best?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lsehelp173)

but I recently read online that LSE doesn't like applicants with more than one application. Which one of these is most competitive and which one is easiest to get in to?

I also need help choosing 4 other courses... my only other choice is Statistics, Econ and Finance at UCL but i am looking for something with a little bit more maths in it...

I would be interested in applying to queen mary uni but i have also heard a lot of negative reviews about it... i am looking for a uni within the london area

Hi, for specific help regarding LSE courses, it would be a good idea to post on the LSE forum if you haven't already? They have people on that forum who are already at LSE and know a lot about applying there.

Queen Mary is highly regarded but people do seem to love it or hate it; I think that's largely due to the part of London it's in so all you could do would be attend an Open Day or Applicant Day to see if it's for you.

As for other good Unis within the London area ...KCL is the obvious one.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
LeapingLucy knows a lot about LSE...
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you look at the LSE page on Which University, select ‘courses’ and then click on each course, you will be able to see the offer rate for each course and thus which is most competitive.

I would find them for you myself but I have a summative essay to finish!
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 2 years ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of London universities you have Imperial, LSE, UCL and Kings then below them you have Queen Mary and places like City which is known for business or Brunel. If you are prepared to travel outside London Royal Holloway, Readng and Surrey are decent alternatives fairly close. Imperial is outstanding for Maths but might not offer the kind of Economics course you are looking for
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lsehelp173)

(Original post by swanseajack1)
In terms of London universities you have Imperial, LSE, UCL and Kings then below them you have Queen Mary and places like City which is known for business or Brunel. If you are prepared to travel outside London Royal Holloway, Readng and Surrey are decent alternatives fairly close. Imperial is outstanding for Maths but might not offer the kind of Economics course you are looking for

Hi lsehelp173,

I'm a Mathematics student at Royal Holloway and we offer straight Mathematics as well as Economics and Mathematics.

On the Mathematics side, from my experience on the single honours course, the first year is mainly just pure mathematics although they do a statistics module. Then in the second year you get a lot more freedom. You can choose to do an advanced statistics module and graphs and optimisation module which are both very enjoyable as I have taken both. They would both be very relevant to you. In the final year you can choose to do a few different finance related modules as well.

Royal Holloway is only a 40 minute train journey away from Waterloo and is still classed as a University of London institution, so you still get the benefits that other central London institutions have such as access to the Senate House library.

I'd be happy to talk to you about the Mathematics side of the course and you can also chat to another current Economics student, Jen, on the Royal Holloway website here.

Ryan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (90)
26.87%
England (110)
32.84%
Belgium (27)
8.06%
Germany (39)
11.64%
Spain (7)
2.09%