Knife Crime Solutions and Blame Game Watch

Qup
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone got any solutions to the problem?

The only one I found was send the kids off to correctional boot camp, and if there aren't any, fund them so no more kids end up dying in a game of "who's the hardest, fam?"
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Qup)

The only one I found was send the kids off to correctional boot camp, and if there aren't any, fund them so no more kids end up dying in a game of "who's the hardest, fam?"
Interesting idea you have there :beard:

I would suggest actually getting someone who really understands the problem who is young and experienced with it and get them to set up maybe a social/youth group where they can support and give meaningful to youths in similar/difficult situations when it comes to gangs/drug/knife crime

I actually do think such groups already exist in London, as I believe I watched a video about it last year sometime
:bump:
Spoiler:
Show

Society is where your thread resides now :mmm:
RivalPlayer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It all goes back to the family unit and a lack of values. Through its misguided desire to make non-judgmentalism a virtue, Britain has normalised single-parenthood. The British Caribbean population has the highest number of single parent households in this country.

In these family setups, there is often no concept of authority or discipline, so it is not surprising that many young boys who come from these environments grow up to be hostile to anything or anyone that attempts to restrict their behaviour.

You need to stop broken family units from forming in the first place. And to do that there needs to be cultural shift among communities where knife crime is rife. Blaming poverty and a lack of this and that is just a pernicious way of shifting the blame away from the real problem.
Qup
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RivalPlayer)
It all goes back to the family unit and a lack of values. Through its misguided desire to make non-judgmentalism a virtue, Britain has normalised single-parenthood. The British Caribbean population has the highest number of single parent households in this country.

In these family setups, there is often no concept of authority or discipline, so it is not surprising that many young boys who come from these environments grow up to be hostile to anything or anyone that attempts to restrict their behaviour.

You need to stop broken family units from forming in the first place. And to do that there needs to be cultural shift among communities where knife crime is rife. Blaming poverty and a lack of this and that is just a pernicious way of shifting the blame away from the real problem.
Never was going to blame poverty, in fact, before I made my OP, I was going to go on a rant about how people should stop blaming poverty and all that since many grew poor and lots of them aren't into crime, and I was also going to mention that there are too many who keep passing the blame onto the government and police and saying they aren't doing much when a) that isn't either of their function and b) blaming them and not providing solutions or even a hint of a solution is ridiculous. After a while, I just decided not to, but here we are.

Since parent households are a problem, definitely, but they are not the exact cause of this phenomon. There are many single parent households and I am a member of one, though I have never committed a crime. The issue however is lack of discipline (though that's what the boot-camp is technically for, provide education in morals, sociology, civilisation, history, maths, science, english, etc.) and the fact that these kids are growing up in environments where they are being... made morally corrupt.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RivalPlayer)

If I were shooting from what I had read in the press, I would completely agree with you. But I do question if this is true. I agree that British Caribbean families have a high rate of single parents, but I question if these single parents lack values. I also question if they have a lack of discipline. At the end of the day, you can not tie your kids to the bed and lock them in their rooms. If a kid wants to go to the kitchen, take a knife and then go and hang out with his mates on the street, there isn't a whole lot you can do. My kids are only 5 and 8 but I only see them for around 3 hours a day after school before bed. That means there is about 7-8 hours of that day where my influences are out of my control. If the outside influences are greater than mine, what can I do about it? Nothing.
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Qup)

Adults do knife crime as well most victims of knife crime the defender and victim know to each other in a relationship, friends or family. Most knife crime mostly happen between people who know each other well and does not happen on the street it happen in people homes.
TheStupidMoon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I put forward sensible solutions in this thread. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5346538

The state wants to ban people buying blades and corrosive stuff by mail to their house if the offensive weapons bill gets passed. This is ridiculous as plenty of the sciences and arts use those products and chavs will just buy or steal what they can get out of shops.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you could employ people to search young folk on the street ?

:dontknow:
Qup
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
you could employ people to search young folk on the street ?

:dontknow:
They could, but then they would have to do something about them. Simply throwing them into Jail or giving them a slap on the wrist isn't going to solve the problem I believe.
PureHeroine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree that it's do with family unit and external influences as a child. Growing up around people who carry weapons and knowing people who do can change a lot. Someone I knew was sentenced a while back for carrying a weapon and he was supposedly surrounded by unstable family members. It's sad because teachers tried to get through with him but everyone including his little cronies abandoned him immediately after.

My sister and I were talking about solutions in the future. Nowadays there are kids at the top of end of primary school getting involved in this. Could do with teaching pupils to not give into peer pressure and maybe more discipline from parents. Possibly more youth groups and more support from people who have suffered.
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The authorities tend to focus too heavily on access to knives and punishing the people who are found with them. Sure, these can be moderately effective control measures, but they don't get to the root of the problem, and therefore cannot solve the problem.

Knife crime in London is skewed heavily towards certain demographics - the most significant being black, male youths. As another poster pointed out, single parenthood is a problem with this demographic. Children raised by single parents are significantly more likely to be involved in crime. Throw in a subculture that glorifies violent, deviant behaviour and street cred, and you have a recipe for gang activity and knife crime.

Boys need support, good roll models, hobbies, and something positive to aspire too. The gangs also need to be brought down, or they will continue to groom and recruit more members. Stable, nuclear families must also be encouraged and single parenthood discouraged and prevented.
LoyaltyAb0veAll
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
The authorities tend to focus too heavily on access to knives and punishing the people who are found with them. Sure, these can be moderately effective control measures, but they don't get to the root of the problem, and therefore cannot solve the problem.

Knife crime in London is skewed heavily towards certain demographics - the most significant being black, male youths. As another poster pointed out, single parenthood is a problem with this demographic. Children raised by single parents are significantly more likely to be involved in crime. Throw in a subculture that glorifies violent, deviant behaviour and street cred, and you have a recipe for gang activity and knife crime.

Boys need support, good roll models, hobbies, and something positive to aspire too. The gangs also need to be brought down, or they will continue to groom and recruit more members. Stable, nuclear families must also be encouraged and single parenthood discouraged and prevented.
I wouldn't say single parethood is a factor.
young kids can be easily influenced but that's the role of the parent whether single or not, to act as the most inflential aspect in their life and failing that doesn't mean it's because they were a single parent. It's to do with their characteristics. There are plenty of people who grow up just fine having been brought up by only one parent.

Also you say "Knife crime in London is skewed heavily towards certain demographics - the most significant being black, male youths" but you don't link any studies/sources whatsoever so how am i supposed to believe that.
LoyaltyAb0veAll
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think they should create some sort of registry that de values those who carry knives.
For instance, Sex offenders get put into a registry and that carry that label for the rest of their life.
Well, they should the same with those that carry knives in public. And if they get caught again; Sentence them 10 years then life.
Also; they should increase the number of stop and search because if you have nothing on you; then why would you object to it.
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LoyaltyAb0veAll)
I wouldn't say single parethood is a factor.
young kids can be easily influenced but that's the role of the parent whether single or not, to act as the most inflential aspect in their life and failing that doesn't mean it's because they were a single parent. It's to do with their characteristics. There are plenty of people who grow up just fine having been brought up by only one parent.

Also you say "Knife crime in London is skewed heavily towards certain demographics - the most significant being black, male youths" but you don't link any studies/sources whatsoever so how am i supposed to believe that.
It's a known fact that children raised in single parent households are more likely to turn to crime. That includes violent crime, gang activity, etc.

There are plenty of people who smoke and don't get lung cancer. What I'm talking about is an increased likelihood, not a guarantee, so stating an obvious fact like "There are plenty of people who grow up just fine having been brought up by only one parent" isn't a good counter point.

It's basically common knowledge that black people are disproportionately involved in violent crime, murders and gang activity, so I felt no need to link to a source. Everything I've said can be corroborated by a brief Google search. I believe you also have access to the Internet. For simplicity, here's the Wikipedia page about crime in London, and it includes a section on race: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.47%
No (67)
98.53%

Watched Threads