How were my grades worked out? Watch

Louis8320
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi I have just done my mocks in combined science and gta 8-8 , I think I done extremely well in Biology and Chemistry but awful in Physics , could you please tell me how it is grades since there is only 2 GCSE’s e.g. if I got a 9 in Chemistry and Biology but a 5 in Physics how is it worked out I got to 9’s?
Jessicamarie_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Louis8320)
Hi I have just done my mocks in combined science and gta 8-8 , I think I done extremely well in Biology and Chemistry but awful in Physics , could you please tell me how it is grades since there is only 2 GCSE’s e.g. if I got a 9 in Chemistry and Biology but a 5 in Physics how is it worked out I got to 9’s?
when i completed my GCSE's last year my grade was 7-6. they put my highest with my lowest and obviously there is one in between (i asked my science teacher what it meant.)
so there is a chance it was done like that. or it could just be an average worked out via the mark scheme with added benefit of the doubt. but in most cases it will be your highest and lowest. Maybe you're not as bad at physics as you thought
ThunderBeard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your marks are added together and it is out of 420. Check grade boundaries but it goes 9-9, 9-8, 8-8 and so on.
学生の父
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  CS2018.JPG
Views: 4
Size:  19.5 KB Here are last year's Edexcel Combined Science GCSE grade boundaries as an example (it'll be similar with the other boards). Your 6 science papers will have a maximum combined mark of 360. In order to get an 8-8 last summer you needed to score between 227 and 242 overall.

So in your mocks your teachers have mimicked this sort of system to give you your grades.

Hope this helps.
Tolgarda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your mark will correspond with a certain grade on the grading scale for combined science (which is a bit different from the other subjects as you have seventeen grades on the scale from 1-1 to 9-9). It's just like any other subject, except with more grades. I too achieved an 8-8 (but in my real exams), and this is how it was calculated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1460)
79.56%
Leave (375)
20.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed