Will i get kicked out of halls Watch

maxwindsurfs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Okay so last week i accidentally broke the lock off a flatmates door and i had to go and report it and get it fixed. The people did not seem happy and i don't know how much i will get fined. Now I have accidentally broken a fire door with a glass middle. The glass is all cracked. I don't know what to do and i'm sure the cleaner will find out and report it when she comes on Wednesday or the binmen when they come on Monday.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just tell them.
They won't kick you out- accidents happen. Depending how it occured may affect wether or not you get charged for it
maxwindsurfs
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Just tell them.
They won't kick you out- accidents happen. Depending how it occured may affect wether or not you get charged for it
Okay thank you, i really hope they understand it was an accident
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by maxwindsurfs)
Okay so last week i accidentally broke the lock off a flatmates door and i had to go and report it and get it fixed. The people did not seem happy and i don't know how much i will get fined. Now I have accidentally broken a fire door with a glass middle. The glass is all cracked. I don't know what to do and i'm sure the cleaner will find out and report it when she comes on Wednesday or the binmen when they come on Monday.
Student halls are used to students breaking things by accident, just be honest and ask if they d want paying up front or if they'd consider taking it off your deposit for you. If you're honest and pay for the damage its unlikely they'd kick you out over an accident, don't worry
maxwindsurfs
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Student halls are used to students breaking things by accident, just be honest and ask if they d want paying up front or if they'd consider taking it off your deposit for you. If you're honest and pay for the damage its unlikely they'd kick you out over an accident, don't worry
ah thank you, these messages are finally convincing me it will be okay if i report it. I hope they will be forgiving and understanding.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sounds like you kicked someones door in? is this cluimsiness or trashing stuff on purpose/wasted?
maxwindsurfs
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Sounds like you kicked someones door in? is this cluimsiness or trashing stuff on purpose/wasted?
it was an accident when the lock broke. I shoulder barged the door not very hard as a joke in front of my friends and the door smashed open. As you can tell that's the worst excuse in history but i really question whether i have any brain cells sometimes.
Last edited by maxwindsurfs; 1 week ago
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
it was an accident when the lock broke. I shoulder barged the door not very hard as a joke in front of my friends and the door smashed open. As you can tell that's the worst excuse in history but i really question whether i have any brain cells sometimes.
You will most likely have to pay for that then as it wasn't an accident as such because you were intentionally attempting to break the door- with it actually breaking not being intentional
maxwindsurfs
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
You will most likely have to pay for that then as it wasn't an accident as such because you were intentionally attempting to break the door- with it actually breaking not being intentional
Yeh i was fined for that one. The other one with the glass which happened yesterday I did by accident but it was stupid. I was going round the corridor on my desk chair and crashed.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
sooo. yes then, you put someones door in? You're correct, that is a TERRIBLE excuse I can somewhat relate, I once drunkenly told my friend 'shut up or ill kick a hole in this wall' then went to lightly tap it, you can guess how that ended....

Depends how much the landlord knows and how your flatmates genuinely feel about it, if they're charitable it's counted as 'student damage' and you'd be asked to chip in (could be expensive, bodging a lock back together is cheap..properly replacing the frame and such costs) It obv helps if you admit it, rather than them finding it themselves. If they're UNCHARITABLE then they might evict you as you're breaking into other peoples rooms and now smashing windows - pretty clear cut eviction if you look at it that way
maxwindsurfs
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
sooo. yes then, you put someones door in? You're correct, that is a TERRIBLE excuse I can somewhat relate, I once drunkenly told my friend 'shut up or ill kick a hole in this wall' then went to lightly tap it, you can guess how that ended....

Depends how much the landlord knows and how your flatmates genuinely feel about it, if they're charitable it's counted as 'student damage' and you'd be asked to chip in (could be expensive, bodging a lock back together is cheap..properly replacing the frame and such costs) It obv helps if you admit it, rather than them finding it themselves. If they're UNCHARITABLE then they might evict you as you're breaking into other peoples rooms and now smashing windows - pretty clear cut eviction if you look at it that way
Ahahahaha that sounds like something I’d do with the wall. Hopefully my flat mates will be charitable. I’ll just have to hope that everything works out 🙏
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?