UCAS application and declaring disability. Watch

Paul369
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of disabilities or health issues and in two minds about declaring them on my UCAS application.

I have Dyslexia which I don't mind declaring.

I also have lifelong general anxiety disorder starting in my teens, after a nervous breakdown. On the one hand, Its mostly under control the last few years, on the other hand, I kind of want them to know about it. For in the event I need some support at some point, and in someway to provide context for why I failed my GCSE's the first time around. (I'm a 29 year old mature student retaking all qualifications I need to meet entry requirements.

This poses a few questions.

Will declaring one or both of the above hurt my chances of getting offers? I know it isn't suppose to, but the applications are being processed by human beings.

My UCAS application currently only shows terrible school grades from 13 years ago, with all current grades pending. Will unis assume that I won't do much better this time around? (Given they don't have access to this background context anywhere on the application.)

How would I declare both when UCAS appears to allow only one category to be selected on the application? Should I add the second health issues in the "further details" box below?

Help with any one of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Paul369)
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of disabilities or health issues and in two minds about declaring them on my UCAS application.

I have Dyslexia which I don't mind declaring.

I also have lifelong general anxiety disorder starting in my teens, after a nervous breakdown. On the one hand, Its mostly under control the last few years, on the other hand, I kind of want them to know about it. For in the event I need some support at some point, and in someway to provide context for why I failed my GCSE's the first time around. (I'm a 29 year old mature student retaking all qualifications I need to meet entry requirements.

This poses a few questions.

Will declaring one or both of the above hurt my chances of getting offers? I know it isn't suppose to, but the applications are being processed by human beings.

My UCAS application currently only shows terrible school grades from 13 years ago, with all current grades pending. Will unis assume that I won't do much better this time around? (Given they don't have access to this background context anywhere on the application.)

How would I declare both when UCAS appears to allow only one category to be selected on the application? Should I add the second health issues in the "further details" box below?

Help with any one of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Hello fellow dyslexic person,I declared my dyslexia and dyspraxia both times going through ucas, and then i was given information about accessing support and could have had reasonable adjustments in interviews if i'd asked so i would recommend doing so if you feel comfortable . Tick either relevant box then mention both in the further details box. Get your referee to mention the background of when you were in school in your reference. Also once you have a confirmed place, apply for disabled student allowance, it can take time to get support in place so the sooner you apply the better
Paul369
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Hello fellow dyslexic person,I declared my dyslexia and dyspraxia both times going through ucas, and then i was given information about accessing support and could have had reasonable adjustments in interviews if i'd asked so i would recommend doing so if you feel comfortable . Tick either relevant box then mention both in the further details box. Get your referee to mention the background of when you were in school in your reference. Also once you have a confirmed place, apply for disabled student allowance, it can take time to get support in place so the sooner you apply the better
Hi, thanks.

I will probably declare both in the further details box then.

My only concern is my reference is more of just a standard reference issued by my current institution (Open University), and gives no real personal information or grade predictions. So, its not possible for me to provide that background context through my referee. (Which might normally have been the case.) I feel handicapped by this, but having spoken with the OU, they won't include anything else in the reference.
Last edited by Paul369; 1 week ago
mediclyfe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm going through the same right now, I have very poor school grades because my mental health deteriorated so didn't get my expected grades of As. I left school before I could do my Highers so didn't finish high school. I'm doing reasonably well in college but my application has no context at all as to why my grades were so low and my reference is very basic and generalized with no history. I don't know whether to contact the universities seperately to offer them evidence of some kind or just leave it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, thanks.

I will probably declare both in the further details box then.

My only concern is my reference is more of just a standard reference issued by my current institution (Open University), and gives no real personal information or grade predictions. So, its not possible for me to provide that background context through my referee. (Which might normally have been the case.) I feel handicapped by this, but having spoken with the OU, they won't include anything else in the reference.
yes normally they would have been in case, in this situation i would contact the universities yourself.
Paul369
Rep:
?
yes normally they would have been in case, in this situation i would contact the universities yourself.
Unfortunately, with a few days until cutt-off, I think I have run out of time for this. Maybe I should follow up with an email to my 5 choices? Although, I have no idea how I would approach it.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Unfortunately, with a few days until cutt-off, I think I have run out of time for this. Maybe I should follow up with an email to my 5 choices? Although, I have no idea how I would approach it.
you could follow up with an email, with your gcse grades do they exceed the universities entry requirements?
Paul369
Rep:
?
you could follow up with an email, with your gcse grades do they exceed the universities entry requirements?
GCSE prediction grades for English and Math are currently one grade above what I need for entry on most of my choices. For 3 out of 4 OU modules my OCAS score is hovering above (85%). Which the OU considers pass 2 or distinction. Providing I can keep it up.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
GCSE prediction grades for English and Math are currently one grade above what I need for entry on most of my choices. For 3 out of 4 OU modules my OCAS score is hovering above (85%). Which the OU considers pass 2 or distinction. Providing I can keep it up.
if your gcses are going to be above what you need then i wouldnt worry too much about your previous grades.
Paul369
Rep:
?
if your gcses are going to be above what you need then i wouldnt worry too much about your previous grades.
My uni choices don't know though, because i've used the OU as the referee. (Unis prefer OU in this case) So all my grades are just 'pending' with no predictions. I have been told by a few of those unis that it won't matter. But I cannot help but feel they will only have my terrible 13 year old grades to go on, without any context. Nor predictions that would defy the impression.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My uni choices don't know though, because i've used the OU as the referee. (Unis prefer OU in this case) So all my grades are just 'pending' with no predictions. I have been told by a few of those unis that it won't matter. But I cannot help but feel they will only have my terrible 13 year old grades to go on, without any context. Nor predictions that would defy the impression.
if a few have told you it wont matter then i wouldnt worry too much
Paul369
Rep:
?
if a few have told you it wont matter then i wouldnt worry too much
They don't know about the dismal grades the first time around. I fogot to mention it. They say the fact all my current grades are pending without predictions is fine though. I don't know how much of a difference this makes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?