The Student Room Group

Cancelled on your Birthday

So this evening is meant to be my birthday meal, it was planned 3 weeks ago. 4 people cancelled beforehand due to money issues alone however they told me in advance so I was okay with it.

That left us with 7 people. I hadn't had any messages for cancellations so I assumed that everything was still ahead. I messaged the group chat to state the meeting point and everyone read but didn't respond.

About 11pm yesterday, I needed to know whether everyone was cool with it just to ensure I didn't get stood up so I messaged everyone individually. This is how panned out.

D - No money
BD - No money
BB - Ignored
E - Ignored
C - Ignored

H - Got home from Lanzarote at 2am in the morning but still willing to go.
K - Lives far away, has to catch multiple buses or a train and then a bus but still willing to go

.All of the people who cancelled in advance also have no money.

Is it worth cutting ties with these people? As it's upset me a lot as it's the first birthday where I actually had a large group of 'friends' to do something with.
Original post by iiUrieCx
So this evening is meant to be my birthday meal, it was planned 3 weeks ago. 4 people cancelled beforehand due to money issues alone however they told me in advance so I was okay with it.

That left us with 7 people. I hadn't had any messages for cancellations so I assumed that everything was still ahead. I messaged the group chat to state the meeting point and everyone read but didn't respond.

About 11pm yesterday, I needed to know whether everyone was cool with it just to ensure I didn't get stood up so I messaged everyone individually. This is how panned out.

D - No money
BD - No money
BB - Ignored
E - Ignored
C - Ignored

H - Got home from Lanzarote at 2am in the morning but still willing to go.
K - Lives far away, has to catch multiple buses or a train and then a bus but still willing to go

.All of the people who cancelled in advance also have no money.

Is it worth cutting ties with these people? As it's upset me a lot as it's the first birthday where I actually had a large group of 'friends' to do something with.

Tough one they could really have no money at all.
Perhaps, when the first 4 cancelled due to money issues, you could have offered to host something a little more low key, providing the food and asking them all to bring a bottle or something? It might be that they are "fake" friends, or they genuinely could be feeling the pinch, in which case, trying to do something that they could afford would be better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending