The Student Room Group

Physics or computer science or economics a-level?

Hey,

I know I am going to take maths and further maths a-level but am unsure on which third subject to pick, or should i take 4?
I'm planning on doing something maths/computer science related at uni.
I've heard that computer science a-level is not that useful for uni and physics is better + facilitating whilst keeping options open for engineering.

Any help appreciated
Original post by Incarcarus
Hey,

I know I am going to take maths and further maths a-level but am unsure on which third subject to pick, or should i take 4?
I've heard that computer science a-level is not that useful for uni and physics is better + facilitating whilst keeping options open for engineering.

Any help appreciated

I'd say physics because it would give you more options
While you don't need Computer Science A-Level to study it at university, the students who have studied CompSci A-Level tend to find the first year of their degree a lot more relaxed than those who are completely new to the subject.
A lot of (university/degree) content during the first year of CompSci is designed to be a 'catch up' for new students who are completely new to topics like programming, algorithms, hardware and networking.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey,

Any help appreciated

Physics is essentially maths, there's not much theory involved when compared to the maths. Plus you have more options.

Economics would be a good choice if your looking to start work after A-levels, otherwise I'd say do Physics.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Physics is essentially maths, there's not much theory involved when compared to the maths. Plus you have more options.

Economics would be a good choice if your looking to start work after A-levels, otherwise I'd say do Physics.

Thanks for the advice,

So Further maths, maths and physics - is 3 enough as one of them is further maths? People say if you take further maths you should take a fourth a-level.
Thanks for the advice,

So Further maths, maths and physics - is 3 enough as one of them is further maths? People say if you take further maths you should take a fourth a-level.

It depends if you confident in your ability to learn all the info for that extra subject as well.

Universities only need 3 subject grades, so there's not much need to push yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest